New Limerick Manager

Started by Bacon, August 12, 2008, 11:46:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bacon

Richie Bennis has been asked to step down and the County Board are seeking a replacement. I thought he did a fair job with a limited bunch of players. Who will be in the frame to replace him?
Down Championships Prediction League Winner 2009

INDIANA

who will want to be? sure the likes of offaly and wexford are well ahead of them , and dublin even might overtake them. thats how bad they've regressed. the best of the 3 in a row 21's sem to have disappeared. little or nothing coming through. the footballers might pass them out. its a thankless task with tipp set to dominate munster for the forseeable future. no hope of silverware from what i can see.

imtommygunn

I think you're being slightly harsh there Indiana.

Remember they were in last year's AI final.

Also they reached the AI minor final the other year - at the expense of Dublin.

The biggest concern for someone new coming in would be Foley/Moran retiring but no doubt they had a bad year though there is some ability there.

orangeman

There will be plenty of takers for the job ! Not a bad side and I think they can get back up again maybe not reaching the dizzy heights of an AI final mind you.

EddieMerx

Not sure if there will be many people looking for this. The Limerick public for some reason expect their team to be in contention every year and it is going to take one hell of a re-building job to get them there even in 5 years.

Joe Dooley could be a good option for them considering what he has done with Offaly

squareballz

Quote from: EddieMerx on August 13, 2008, 11:50:00 AM
Joe Dooley could be a good option for them considering what he has done with Offaly

Joe Dooley has abit to do with Offaly yet, some nice hurlers there at least there going in the right direction with some potential. Limerick have been knocked back years no one coming through. Some optimism in the 21 coming through in the last few years waiting for them to deliver but theres been nothing behind and never delivered. At least we could always see some potential but there's nothing now.

And last year if we're to be honest was an unconvincing path to the AI final

ExiledGael

I thought there was still a strong chance he could stay. Has he been prevented from throwing his hat in the ring?

davereilly

i don't think they should have got rid or Richie. Remember what they were like before he joined them? Terrible, then he brought them to the AIF within 2 years, this year they lost to a strong Clare side and an improving Offaly outfit. Richie can't be blamed!

INDIANA

he cant ,you can't getblood from a stone.limerick have as much chance of silverware in the next 5years as I do of beating Michael phelps in a swimming race. andi won't be wrong on that either. just don't have the players. what happens when geary etc go, nothing at underage either.

Hurler on the Bitch

Mike Hoolihan and Ciaran Carey ...

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: INDIANA on August 13, 2008, 12:09:37 AM
who will want to be? sure the likes of offaly and wexford are well ahead of them
Limerick could easily reel in the likes of Offaly and Wexford with the right man in charge. Offaly had a certain amount of good fortune in beating Limerick last month.
I'd say winning 3 U21 All Irelands a few years ago gave certain players swelled heads which might have contributed to the indiscipline problems off the field in recent years.

Richie Bennis was the right man to lift Limerick off their knees 2 years ago with his enthusiasm and passion, but I doubt he was a tactical and coaching mastermind.
Limerick's running and power game was developed before is time for example and he stuck with it.
However a new man might bring them on another notch, unearth new talent and bring a bit of extra organistion and discipline to the setup.

youbetterbelieveit

BnM I am not too sure the quality is in the county. It is hard for me to say as a Limerick man and having played against nearly all of the current squad, the hurling isnt there.
The current squad are good enough to put it up to the big counties for a few more years, but after Geary, Foley and Lucey go we are really going to struggle.

AZOffaly

QuoteLimerick could easily reel in the likes of Offaly and Wexford with the right man in charge.

I have nothing against Limerick, in fact I'd love to see their hurlers win an All Ireland, but that statement is great to read as an Offaly man. (I know it was made by an Offaly man as well). According to the media, other fans etc etc, we were in hurling oblivion 3 months ago.  Things can change very quickly at that second-third tier level.

This time next year we could be back in oblivion, or building up a head of steam. I hope it's the latter.

neilthemac

for modern county hurling you really need the manager in place before halloween.

put in place a strength programme for the winter