Michael Meehan

Started by GalwayBayBoy, March 21, 2014, 07:35:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GalwayBayBoy

ConnachtTribuneGroup ‏@CTribune 16m

Injuries have forced Michael Meehan to step down from the Galway senior football panel with immediate effect "for foreseeable future".

Syferus

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on March 21, 2014, 07:35:29 PM

Injuries have forced Michael Meehan to step down from the Galway senior football panel with immediate effect "for foreseeable future".

At 29 is this the end for Meehan at IC?

One of the most depressing stories of the last decade has been Meehan's injury troubles. Incredible player that was/is as talented as any forward I've seen play the game. Great fella to boot. Doesn't deserve to end it on a treatment table.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Syferus on March 21, 2014, 07:41:32 PM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on March 21, 2014, 07:35:29 PM

At 29 is this the end for Meehan at IC?

One of the most depressing stories of the last decade has been Meehan's injury troubles. Incredible player that was/is as talented as any forward I've seen play the game. Great fella to boot. Doesn't deserve to end it on a treatment table.

Hard to see a way back for him. Absolutely gutted for the lad. One of the best forwards in the country and his peak years have been taken away from him. At this stage you just hope he takes care of himself first and makes sure he can walk and get himself around in the future. I'm sure he won't give up trying but I dunno. Really feel for him..

Pangurban

Sad news, one of the outstanding players of the last decade, wish him the best in future

galwayman

Very disappointing if not unexpected news.
Such a dedicated player and a total gent to boot.
His injury troubles started in the process of scoring a goal in Tuam Stadium against Mayo in 2010 when he injured his knee. I still think the way he was rushed back from that one contributed to the ankle injury he suffered in the championship that year and from which he has never properly recovered.
He has not been the same player since.
It was a pleasure to watch him wear the maroon and white over the years

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: galwayman on March 21, 2014, 08:35:00 PM
His injury troubles started in the process of scoring a goal in Tuam Stadium against Mayo in 2010 when he injured his knee. I still think the way he was rushed back from that one contributed to the ankle injury he suffered in the championship that year and from which he has never properly recovered.

Was against Kerry in the league in Salthill when he hurt his knee while scoring a goal. The knee of course isn't the problem though. It's the ankle injury he picked up against Sligo later that Summer. And yes hard not to feel he was rushed back far too early but who knows?

And the thing was until then he never really had any major injury problems. And then he damaged his knee, ankle and dislocated his shoulder in quick succession but it's the ankle that is the big problem.

macdanger2

Great player, pity if he doesn't make it back

I believe the schools game he played in (v colaiste na sceilige??) which turned out to be a shootout between himself & Dec O'Sullivan was supposed to have been unreal.

fearsiuil

Gutted for him, amongst the very best footballers I've had the pleasure of watching over the years. Disappointing to have a guy who obviously put so much into his football and always played the game the way it should be unable to fulfil fully on his huge talent. The current high scoring football would have suited his game down to the ground.
Remember being behind the town goal in sunny Salthill in 2009 when he won a high ball towards the end and managed to ride a rudimentary tackle to bury the ball to level the game when Galway were supposedly beat, pure class. Wish him all the best whatever is in store for him.

Ard-Rí

Best wishes to a great player. You'd hope that he might not be finished just yet, but if he is he owes Galway nothing.
Ar son Éireann Gaelaí

Clarin Pearl

The U21 Semi final against Kerry in Ennis 2002. Class is eternal.

Fair play to him for putting himself first.

Syferus

Quote from: Clarin Pearl on March 22, 2014, 01:07:04 AM
The U21 Semi final against Kerry in Ennis 2002. Class is eternal.

Fair play to him for putting himself first.

If Meehan had any regard for himself he'd have retired years ago. If there's even a remote chance he can make the field again I have no doubt he'll chase it until he can chase no more.

Asal Mor

It's a shame. One of the great talents. Had a brilliant career but if not for the injuries would have been one of the all-time greats of Gaelic Football. By all accounts a sound, extremely dedicated fella too. Best of luck to him.

Farrandeelin

When I saw the thread title, I hoped the news would be something different. It's tough on the fella and no doubt I wish him all the best. Sad news though.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

thejuice

What a shame.

One of those players that made your fearful but always along with admiration in how he could turn a game. Had a good nose for the goals. Not only was he unlucky with injury but to only catch the tailend of a great Galway team. They have looked pretty bad in this years league and this will only hasten the decline.

The stark contrast with Mayos fortunes lately tells it's own storey.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

From the Bunker

When you are as good a player as Meehan. There is always the pressure to return from injury too soon. This seemed to be the rhetorical problem for Meehan. And coming into a Galway team that was in decline did not help his cause when looking to get a proper rest and sort out his injury. Sad day for Connacht football. Caused Mayo many days of heartbreak in the past and a player you'd dreaded seeing on the team sheet. Despite all his persistent injury problems he still has under 21 AIs and won an incredible Club AI with Caltra. The Caltra AI must be one of the most incredible AI achievements for such a small area. If he has decided to call it a day. We wish him well. He definitely owes Galway football nothing! Finally it was fitting he should score such a fine Goal with his last kick in Croke Park.

Footnote: One horrible thing I noticed from some Galway fans (and i put emphasis on the word some) who would moan and groan when ever Meehan got injured while playing. It's gas here was a lad risking chronic injury for his county and was even getting less respect for it.