Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 10, 2018, 09:44:58 PM
Quote from: Saffrongael on December 10, 2018, 09:29:09 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 10, 2018, 06:24:28 PM
Quote from: Belfast GAA man on December 10, 2018, 06:11:54 PM
Quote from: farset on December 09, 2018, 10:36:27 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 09, 2018, 09:56:52 PM
Quote from: Belfast GAA man on December 09, 2018, 06:46:17 PM
Yes 3 years paid experience part of essential criteria

So the disgruntled friend you know applied for a job without having the essential criteria?

😂
No he couldn't that's the point - discrimination against volunteers - MR2 as usual towing the county board line - yawn yawn

I'm not, I just think applying for a post without having at the very least the essential criteria is silly.. t

There is a reason for this I'm sure.. being a coach as a full time job and getting paid to do it is very different to heading to  the club and coaching it 2 hours a week. Just my view

So jobs for the boys and the usual faces on the paid coaching merry go round, there's a fuckin shock

You're not making any sense, do you normally apply for jobs that you've no paid experience in? I've done a few first aid courses over the years but I'll not be applying for a doctors job!

Get yourself a qualification in sport studies and a paid job in coaching and apply for the job. I've coached kids for many years but would feel someone who coaches for a living would be better placed than a two night a week trainer, who's probably brilliant but we'd have whingers on complaining about unqualified with poor experience getting jobs!

What absolute nonsense.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Saffrongael on December 11, 2018, 07:44:47 AM
They are going into schools to try and improve participation, not taking the Dubs senior team.

So how do you think it should be done? what would be the essential criteria?

Proven track record?
Experience of coaching in schools?
etc...
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

Yes... Clubs have been sending coaches into schools for years for no money...

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on December 11, 2018, 10:47:52 AM

Clubs going into schools has been done when I was at primary school, they went in so that they could take the best kids in those days ;D

We've done it for years at various different times, as schools don't have the funding for it but you get nothing for nothing nowadays, everyone looking paid and the days of the volunteers is finished unfortunately
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

johnnycool

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 11, 2018, 10:56:15 AM

Clubs going into schools has been done when I was at primary school, they went in so that they could take the best kids in those days ;D

We've done it for years at various different times, as schools don't have the funding for it but you get nothing for nothing nowadays, everyone looking paid and the days of the volunteers is finished unfortunately

I've no problem with coaches going into the schools during school hours and getting paid, I think it is a good idea and long may it continue, but there is still an extremely large need for volunteer coaches within the clubs in the evenings because if there isn't there's absolutely no point in sending coaches into the schools during the day.

There needs to be a development pathway and that's very much based around the club structures and not like Rugby where schools rugby seems to operate totally separately from their club structures. (Based upon my forrays at the oval ball game back in the day).

imtommygunn

Quoteeveryone looking paid and the days of the volunteers is finished unfortunately

That is not true at all.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on December 11, 2018, 11:11:52 AM
Quoteeveryone looking paid and the days of the volunteers is finished unfortunately

That is not true at all.

So who is going to head into schools during a working day and give up 2 hours of their time 2 or 3 days a week? unless the person is retired and ha sthe time you'll struggle, maybe its different up the country, or someone in a flexible job

Milltown Row2

Quote from: johnnycool on December 11, 2018, 11:11:27 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 11, 2018, 10:56:15 AM

I've no problem with coaches going into the schools during school hours and getting paid, I think it is a good idea and long may it continue, but there is still an extremely large need for volunteer coaches within the clubs in the evenings because if there isn't there's absolutely no point in sending coaches into the schools during the day.

There needs to be a development pathway and that's very much based around the club structures and not like Rugby where schools rugby seems to operate totally separately from their club structures. (Based upon my forrays at the oval ball game back in the day).

There is little or none at all in juvenile terms with rugby at clubs, its improved slightly but very much all concentrated at school level with most schools putting a lot of money into it, they normally have a director of rugby who is a head coach, generally from my experience from another country (3 schools that I know of) who has no teaching to do but work on the coaching of the schools rugby teams.

Schools generally had some dedicated teachers from GAA backgrounds that took the teams and put their heart and soul into it but with the increase workload of teachers its getting harder and harder to have that.. I'd watch my daughters play hockey on a Saturday morning, the school has all their pitches being used for rugby from 1st year right through, and hockey also, all playing the same school, there are plenty of teachers there doing their bit, some may get extra points on the pay scale some don't but they put a good bit of effort behind it..

I don't know the system at schools anymore but when we went there was no coaching other that the one or two sessions leading up to the games, and after the league games and cup games stopped there was no more to do with hurling or football for the year..

Primary school different again I suppose

outinfront

I can say whole heartedly that we have about 5-6 staff out taking GAA every day of the week after school on a voluntary basis.  Most year groups will get 2 coaching sessions a week.

imtommygunn

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 11, 2018, 11:16:38 AM

That is not true at all.

So who is going to head into schools during a working day and give up 2 hours of their time 2 or 3 days a week? unless the person is retired and ha sthe time you'll struggle, maybe its different up the country, or someone in a flexible job

People on shift work. That is how we worked within our club when I was involved.I am not currently so am not sure we still do that but it went on for years and I doubt it's any different in a lot of places.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on December 11, 2018, 01:02:45 PM

That is not true at all.

People on shift work. That is how we worked within our club when I was involved.I am not currently so am not sure we still do that but it went on for years and I doubt it's any different in a lot of places.

Well fair play to them, I'm only refereeing now and I find it difficult enough to fit in with a busy family life, nevermind looking after a club team and coaching at a school.. It certainly reaps benefits for the club, mixed parish or will they all head to same club afterwards?

Dunsilly King

I'm hearing that Barry Dillon has been appointed the new Portglenone manager, ambitious appointment from them

Na Glinntí Glasa

Quote from: outinfront on December 11, 2018, 12:27:08 PM
I can say whole heartedly that we have about 5-6 staff out taking GAA every day of the week after school on a voluntary basis.  Most year groups will get 2 coaching sessions a week.

the coaching and work put into the kids in our Primary School is fantastic. they have done a superb job with them all and the results have shown. its nice to see that the work being put in by the school is helping them along in their coaching and development in the hurling esp.
hurl like f**k boi!

outinfront

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 11, 2018, 01:27:04 PM

That is not true at all.

Well fair play to them, I'm only refereeing now and I find it difficult enough to fit in with a busy family life, nevermind looking after a club team and coaching at a school.. It certainly reaps benefits for the club, mixed parish or will they all head to same club afterwards?

Most of our players stem from Bredagh and Carryduff, but we would also get a mix from St Brigids, St Endas, St Galls, Glenavey, Rossa, St Teresa's etc.  We are definitely seeing this starting to pay off, with our Y10 team winning the Corn Na nOg Shield there; first ever A title for the school.  Schools and clubs have to put in the hard graft to reap the rewards. 

imtommygunn

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 11, 2018, 01:27:04 PM

That is not true at all.

Small area with 2 primary schools attached to one club and the nearest club about 8 miles away.

As others have said this would probably be common place too.