Tyrone v Derry - Sunday 12th May - Omagh 4.00pm

Started by tyroneman, April 29, 2019, 01:00:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyroneman

Have we become so blasé about things that the aul traditional rivalry doesn't merit it's own thread?

Will Derry's momentum keep going into this match?
Will the memory of the hammering given to the defending All Ireland Champions in 2006 fill Tyrone with fear?
Will Mickey's confdence be misplaced?
Will Omagh be a sell-out?
Will Tyrone keep to themore expansive game we saw in the latter stages of the league?

TheOptimist

Going by the Ulster Championship thread, I didn't Derry were playing in Ulster this year!

theticklemister

oakleaflad

Quote from: tyroneman on April 29, 2019, 01:00:51 PM
Have we become so blasé about things that the aul traditional rivalry doesn't merit it's own thread?

Will Derry's momentum keep going into this match? Meh
Will the memory of the hammering given to the defending All Ireland Champions in 2006 fill Tyrone with fear? No
Will Mickey's confdence be misplaced? No
Will Omagh be a sell-out? Meh
Will Tyrone keep to themore expansive game we saw in the latter stages of the league? It won't matter

Listen, we've maybe improved a bit but we match up very badly against Tyrone. It was the worst possible draw for us and I don't think even the most optimistic Derry fan can expect a win. I would have given us a chance of winning a game in Ulster if we drew anyone outside of Tyrone, Donegal and possibly Monaghan (I think we'd give them a tight enough game but probably lose that too).

screenexile

Yeah we're on a different trajectory than Tyrone. . . We need another couple of years I reckon to compete properly with them. If we can get the margin to between 5 & 10 that will be progress after the drubbings we received in 2016/17.

We badly need a run in the qualifiers and could do OK if we avoid the big hitters like Dublin/Mayo/Donegal/Kerry/Monaghan/Galway.

The team has a bit of momentum though so hopefully we can expect a creditable performance this time around!!!

twohands!!!

In the last 9 years of championship football, teams who played in Division 4 have played 185 championship games and there has only been 2 occasions where they have beaten a team who played Division 1 football that year.

Kildare losing to Carlow last year and Mayo losing to Longford in 2010.

trailer

Are we thinking 15 points plus defeat for Derry? What's the spread? I'd imagine Tyrone will post a tally in excess of 30 points.

Fuzzman

We certainly have hammered them the last few times we've played and you would expect the same again but we have seen what can happen sometimes when we have an off day and if any time (think Fermanagh) who are very well organised defensively could frustrate us. Who would have thought in 2006, Derry would have come to Omagh and held the AI champions scoreless at half time?
Yes a lot has changed since then and in a way it's a totally different game now but I'm sure Mickey will not let them get complacent.

Norf Tyrone

I see the Sunday Game schedule is out today and this is not on it. Is the BBC/ SKY schedule announced yet?
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

toby47

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on April 30, 2019, 01:10:53 PM
I see the Sunday Game schedule is out today and this is not on it. Is the BBC/ SKY schedule announced yet?

SKY released theirs today also

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

tbrick18

If Tyrone were to play any Div3/4 team they would expect to win by at least 10 points.
Derry will want to perform as best they can and if they do, could keep the margin tighter than that.
That's the level we are at and the quality of players we have.
If we can keep it tight(ish), and get a decent qualifier run that's probably the best we can hope for from the Championship.

I still don't think Tyrone are at the same level as Dublin/Mayo, but will be too strong for us.

Norf Tyrone

Cheers for the SKY list gents.

So Tyrone v Derry not on the box by the looks. Don't think BBC can show games that are not on RTE or clash with RTE's coverage.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

Main Street

Tyrone just don't have that box office appeal, not even Sky could hype this game up.

The first televised game will be Monaghan v Cavan, a real rivalry, one that has endured.