GAA record revenues..... why?

Started by thewobbler, February 11, 2020, 01:27:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eamonnca1

Quote from: thewobbler on February 11, 2020, 05:36:12 PM
I'd think the real story of the GAA (football) in recent years is one of seeing routinely empty stadiums on TV, and don't forget it's only the big games that make it on TV.

Revenue might be increasing, but if footfall is dropping, then you have to question the strategy. These games can not expand internationally to replace the void. It has to come from within.

They may blame Dublin's dominance. They may blame football tactics. They may be right too. But combining extra county games with an aggressive pricing strategy, against this backdrop, well there's the main story as far as I'm concerned.

And once someone gets away from the habit of forking out £25 to watch a county team, it's a remarkably difficult habit to pick up again.

Which of course leads players to question why they train all winter long; to play in largely empty, soulless championship matches, where the result often is an irrelevance, as both sides go through, or sometimes one is just happy to end their season. And the more who question it, the more who'll step away. Which in turn leads to smaller crowds, and more players stepping away.

That's the circle of descent.

We are on it.

But revenue is up.

f**k revenue.

Too many games on TV, if you ask me.

Sportacus

We've a long way to fall yet, they were talking today on Talk Sport about Premier League teams charging families £750 so their child could be a mascot on match day.  Thought that stank to high heaven. 

I don't have a big problem with GAa making a profit - just re-invest it wisely, preferably at club level.  There would be massive demand for a simple grant process for 10-20k improvement projects. 

The bigger picture is full of problems.  For example here in Ulster there are plenty of staff on the payroll but the end product very often (not always) is literally sickening it's so negative.

macdanger2

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on February 11, 2020, 05:37:40 PM
Quote from: macdanger2 on February 11, 2020, 04:52:48 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on February 11, 2020, 04:23:54 PM
Quote from: macdanger2 on February 11, 2020, 02:48:58 PM
QuoteOther development projects cited include the acquisition of the 31.8 acre property of Cloniffe College adjacent to Croke Park, a deal which concluded after the year's end, with plans for two full-sized pitches, club house and dressing rooms and planned usage "similar to Abbotstown

What's this development for?

Guess.

Eh, I don't know. That's why I asked. Thanks for your input though

As stated in black and white, I would imagine it's for two full-sized pitches, club house and dressing rooms and planned usage "similar to Abbotstown."

I see. Again, invaluable insight, thanks.

Anyone actually know what that development is for?

BennyCake

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on February 11, 2020, 04:30:11 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on February 11, 2020, 01:41:05 PM
GAA HQ turning into Sepp and his FIFA buddies.

Nothings going to change unless there's a mass boycott of games. Won't happen though.

Oh please. You make it sound like there's a board of directors getting million Euro bonuses. Once overheads are paid, the rest of the revenue is reinvested back into the counties and the clubs. They're also open about their finances. The annual report is published on the GAA's website every year. You can go and read it right now.

If you read Mike Moynihan's book GAAconomics you'll see how the GAA does things that no other sports organization does, like playing All-Ireland final games at lower grades in Croke Park even though a tiny crowd shows up to watch. Those events run at a loss, but they do it for social reasons because of the honour of playing in Croke Parl.

"Grab All Association" my ass. Save your outrage for the GPA. They're the boys who go around openly bragging about the millions of dollars they're going to raise with their smash-and-grab trips to the US.

My issue is, like FIFA, the GAA are becoming more distanced from the average fan. Big money Sky deals, super 8, tier 2, ticket prices etc. Their policies are clearly having an affect, as attendances are down, less people able to watch games etc, but HQ will continue to peddle the "everything's great" bullshit.

BennyCake

Quote from: From the Bunker on February 11, 2020, 05:09:43 PM
Figures are up because of Mayo Making the Super 8's and making it to semi-final stage. As well as an All Ireland Football final replay. The Hurling continues to be a success and is a real competition among the Elite of that sport. This is what the Corporate GAA hopes to have with the football tier system. The real story of the summer was 30k odd that attended Tyrone/Kerry Semi-final.

Very much so

From the Bunker

Quote from: BennyCake on February 11, 2020, 07:15:43 PM
Figures are up because of Mayo Making the Super 8's and making it to semi-final stage. As well as an All Ireland Football final replay. The Hurling continues to be a success and is a real competition among the Elite of that sport. This is what the Corporate GAA hopes to have with the football tier system. The real story of the summer was 30k odd that attended Tyrone/Kerry Semi-final.

Very much so

47K at a Leinster final between Meath and Dublin.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/martin-breheny-breaks-down-the-attendance-figures-so-far-in-this-years-football-and-hurling-championships-38214895.html

Attendances are generally down but revenue is up.

Which means the game is becoming more about the people that can afford to go to games.

marty34

It says that there'll be no concerts in CP this year, 2020?  Anybody know why- is there no big gigs in town over the summer or is there a 'gap year' for the residents?

I thought the GAA would be mad to get their 3 concerts a year to boost the profits.

AFM

Quote from: marty34 on February 11, 2020, 09:09:14 PM
It says that there'll be no concerts in CP this year, 2020?  Anybody know why- is there no big gigs in town over the summer or is there a 'gap year' for the residents?

I thought the GAA would be mad to get their 3 concerts a year to boost the profits.

U2 and Westlife busy.

macdanger2

Quote from: BennyCake on February 11, 2020, 07:15:43 PM

Very much so

Now we know Martin Carney's username  ;D

BallyroanAbu

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on February 11, 2020, 04:22:24 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on February 11, 2020, 03:29:19 PM
Jases ye're some crowd of feckin whingers!!!

Could not agree more. If the GAA were losing money hand over fist they'd be on here complaining about incompetent management. Instead it's raking in the money, most of which is redistributed to the counties and clubs, and they're whinging about that.

Is it any wonder I take a drink?

100% every Club in the country benefits through Club Development Grants,  seriously well run organization. 

screenexile

Quote from: macdanger2 on February 11, 2020, 07:10:54 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on February 11, 2020, 05:37:40 PM
Quote from: macdanger2 on February 11, 2020, 04:52:48 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on February 11, 2020, 04:23:54 PM
Quote from: macdanger2 on February 11, 2020, 02:48:58 PM
QuoteOther development projects cited include the acquisition of the 31.8 acre property of Cloniffe College adjacent to Croke Park, a deal which concluded after the year's end, with plans for two full-sized pitches, club house and dressing rooms and planned usage "similar to Abbotstown

What's this development for?

Guess.

Eh, I don't know. That's why I asked. Thanks for your input though

As stated in black and white, I would imagine it's for two full-sized pitches, club house and dressing rooms and planned usage "similar to Abbotstown."

I see. Again, invaluable insight, thanks.

Anyone actually know what that development is for?

I would imagine the Dubs??

Gabriel_Hurl

Euro 2020

QuotePeter McKenna revealed that Croke Park seems set not to host any major concerts this summer with the new multi-country hosting model for Euro 2020 acting as a barrier for acts who would embark on European tours.

"The bands are not travelling," remarked the stadium's director.

"The big touring caravans as they were are not doing Europe because the 2020 Euros have sucked up so many cities. I mean it's not just in one venue, it's in 20 or 12 different cities. So that has taken the value of a European tour off of big bands." 

Aaron Boone

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on February 12, 2020, 03:27:59 AM

Euro 2020

QuotePeter McKenna revealed that Croke Park seems set not to host any major concerts this summer with the new multi-country hosting model for Euro 2020 acting as a barrier for acts who would embark on European tours.

"The big touring caravans as they were are not doing Europe because the 2020 Euros have sucked up so many cities. I mean it's not just in one venue, it's in 20 or 12 different cities. So that has taken the value of a European tour off of big bands." 
Nathan Carter could fit in a Drumcondra date on his current Irish tour.

marty34

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on February 12, 2020, 03:27:59 AM

Euro 2020

Thanks GH.

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: BallyroanAbu on February 11, 2020, 10:42:00 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on February 11, 2020, 04:22:24 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on February 11, 2020, 03:29:19 PM
Jases ye're some crowd of feckin whingers!!!

Could not agree more. If the GAA were losing money hand over fist they'd be on here complaining about incompetent management. Instead it's raking in the money, most of which is redistributed to the counties and clubs, and they're whinging about that.

Is it any wonder I take a drink?

100% every Club in the country benefits through Club Development Grants,  seriously well run organization.
not every club gets grants

not every county gets funding for their infrastructure

a lot of counties are spending money in order to be competitive with Dublin and Kerry