Boxing Thread

Started by bennydorano, November 04, 2007, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: nrico2006 on September 22, 2020, 01:28:06 PM
Would Magee have got that much money considering the level he fought at?  Why was McKenna on the show, he is still active?  Burnett's case is pretty sad in a way, could have been Irelands most successful boxer if it wasnt for the injury.

Not sure, during those days there was some money about for those fights with Hatton and so on..

McKenna's was more of an insight into a journey man's path and how he was dealing with time away from family, the uncertainty of it all and his dreams.. was well put together in fairness
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Taylor

Good show and an interesting insight however I felt it could have been longer.

Looking at 3 different fighters in a short 30min odd show just wasnt enough.

Mind you after reading E Magee's book the man could have a feature length documentary on his career inside and outside the ring

square_ball

Anyone watch the Tyrone McKenna-Ohara Davies fight? Davies got the decision. Poor fight don't think either of them would bother the top fighters in the division.

GiveItToTheShooters

Quote from: square_ball on September 30, 2020, 10:51:22 PM
Anyone watch the Tyrone McKenna-Ohara Davies fight? Davies got the decision. Poor fight don't think either of them would bother the top fighters in the division.
Yea I watched it and I agree. Mckenna very messy style and hard to watch, Davies was supposed to be the next big thing a few years ago but glad he got the head bate off him and quit against Josh taylor after all his mouthing. He'll be nowhere in this division too.

nrico2006

Quote from: GiveItToTheShooters on October 01, 2020, 12:42:30 AM
Quote from: square_ball on September 30, 2020, 10:51:22 PM
Yea I watched it and I agree. Mckenna very messy style and hard to watch, Davies was supposed to be the next big thing a few years ago but glad he got the head bate off him and quit against Josh taylor after all his mouthing. He'll be nowhere in this division too.

Both domestic level fighters, but at least Davies has a bit of power, McKenna has pillow fists.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

square_ball

I like McKenna but was disappointed in him last night. If he'd have been a little bit more aggressive and threw a few more shots he would have got the decision imo. Domestic/European is his ceiling and Davies isn't much better for all his talk. Imagine the job Taylor would do on Davies now.

Taylor

I am just happy it wasnt a draw - dont think I could have sat through that again.

Result could have went either way in fairness however, while I like McKenna, he can have no complaints after the result of the semi final

nrico2006

I like McKenna too, did you see his latest promo video?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Milltown Row2

unfortunately for him, he's a journey man fighter, and will feature in build up fights and that's about that. As someone mentioned he's got pillow fists, not that I'd like to stand there and take them but to a hardened boxer he'll not make much head way
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Taylor

Quote from: nrico2006 on October 01, 2020, 12:12:57 PM
I like McKenna too, did you see his latest promo video?

Was very good - seems like a man would be great craic to have a pint with

nrico2006

Genuine super fight this weekend, definitely one that's worth staying up for.

GiveItToTheShooters

Quote from: nrico2006 on October 12, 2020, 11:50:23 PM
Genuine super fight this weekend, definitely one that's worth staying up for.
I agree, any opportunity we get to see him is worth staying up for. Pity it's not on Tv.
Loma will go down as one of the best boxers of all time. It's such a shame he isn't as big a box office "star" as others because of the lack of "big names" at his weight and being eastern European, his lack of english etc etc.
But in my opinion, one of the most skillful boxers i have ever seen and will likely ever see, don't know much about Lopez but i expect Loma to dance round him all night and take an easy W.

GetOverTheBar

Be hard to make an argument for anyone against Lomachenko, he's actually frightening and at this stage the aura of him is nearly mythical.

If he spoke english as GiveItToTheShooters points out he would be on Floyd Mayweather level of fame.

nrico2006

I just wish Lomachenko was 5 years younger, not going to be a round too much longer but his performances haven't dipped yet at least.  I see a few trying to say he showed weaknesses against Campbell but I felt he just schooled him without going near top gear.  When you look at what Lomachenko did to two undefeated p4p fighters in Walters and Rigondeaux, it really shows how special he is.  I always felt RJJ was the best I'd seen but I would probably have to give the nod to Lomachenko now, he just does things that you have never saw before.

gallsman

Fight is in Eir for anyone who has it, legitimately or otherwise.

Fancy another Loma masterclass to be honest. He makes fighters as good as Lopez look like novices.