Titanic Exhibition

Started by Oraisteach, April 01, 2012, 07:31:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Maguire01 on April 02, 2012, 06:10:31 PM
Quote from: Canalman on April 02, 2012, 05:00:35 PM
Springfield Monorail comes to mind.

Exterior looks grim (admittedly it probably is a highly unflattering photograph).
The exterior looks great - brilliant design.
Would have been cheaper of theyd dashed the outside of it.

Eamonnca1

I have to laugh at free staters slagging off northern architecture. The tallest building in Dublin has a roof on it like a child's origami project and the national parliament building looks like a reform school.

downgirl

Quote from: fingerbob on April 02, 2012, 04:43:29 PM
Reminds me of the St Patrick's centre in Downpatrick although on a much bigger scale obviously. It's been a massive drain on the council in the past decade.

Agree with you there fingerbob!!  Half the problem there is the expensive tickets to get in and go round the place, even their student prices are dear.  The good thing about the Titanic Exhibition is that it is in Belfast, probably gets 100 times the amount of tourists Downpatrick does!  ;D

rrhf

At least it's not Nama owned

heganboy

in terms of money- it breaks even with 300,000 visitors a year, though they are on course for something north of twice that this year
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Maguire01

Quote from: Tony Baloney on April 02, 2012, 06:30:05 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on April 02, 2012, 06:10:31 PM
Quote from: Canalman on April 02, 2012, 05:00:35 PM
Springfield Monorail comes to mind.

Exterior looks grim (admittedly it probably is a highly unflattering photograph).
The exterior looks great - brilliant design.
Would have been cheaper of theyd dashed the outside of it.
But it would have looked shit.

Maguire01

Quote from: heganboy on April 02, 2012, 09:11:13 PM
in terms of money- it breaks even with 300,000 visitors a year, though they are on course for something north of twice that this year
80,000 tickets were sold before it opened.

orangeman

Does that take into account the capital build cost repayments, interest and running and maintenance costs ?.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Maguire01 on April 02, 2012, 10:51:18 PM
80,000 tickets were sold before it opened.
Come back next year when the centenary is over.

HiMucker

If Kate Winslet doesnt have her tits out at it, I aint going to see it! 

ziggysego

Quote from: HiMucker on April 03, 2012, 11:06:22 AM
If Kate Winslet doesnt have her tits out at it, I aint going to see it!

Testing Accessibility

sheamy

haranguerer

What or who is that supposed to be?

ziggysego

Quote from: haranguerer on April 03, 2012, 01:16:20 PM
What or who is that supposed to be?

It's supposed to symbolise Kate on the hull of the Titanic. That's right, the film, nothing real!
Testing Accessibility

sheamy

looks like it is called Titanica....Re-imaging Newtownards Road  ;D ;D

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-17524955

It marks the completion of East Belfast Partnership's "Re-imaging Newtownards Road" project, to reflect the part workers in the area played in building the Titanic.

The "Titanica" sculpture at the Titanic Belfast building of a female figure is by the renowned Irish sculptor Rowan Gillespie.

From the front it takes on a cruciform expression. From the sides it aims to compliment the Titanic building.

I'd say the majority of people will think it's Kate Winslet with the baps out.