Internet throttling

Started by tyrone girl, March 14, 2016, 10:06:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyrone girl

Has anyone experience of providers doing this? Our speed is round 15 or so at the minute but we never had bother with watching sky on demand/netflix/ you tube etc but this week we have noticed that any time we try to watch anything on catch up or netflix/ kodi etc it just will not play. Buffers completely and is complete waste of time trying to watch anything.
When i run the speedtest on my phone the connection hasnt dropped or got any slower but it just seems to be the tv. I have looked up a bit about it and i presume they are throttling the internet. Is that a common enough thing and what can we do about it?

seafoid

Possibly related to the rate at which Tony Fearon posts in defence of Sean Brady. Kardashian thought her vaselined arse broke the internet but it was actually Tony.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

TabClear

Christ I read that first as "Tony's vaselined arse" and nearly fell off the chair.  I'm away for a walk until I stop shaking

imtommygunn

What provider are you with??

It is probably not unknown but if it has gone as far as being unusable then something must be up...

tyrone girl

With talk talk. I went into the kodi screen yesterday to check the speed and it says on it "very low quality streams may work" and for online video it says "expect buffering do not try HD"

imtommygunn

I could understand why that might happen with kodi but not netflix...

What about from ipad / tablet etc? Is netflix any different?

deiseach

Quote from: tyrone girl on March 14, 2016, 11:55:49 AM
With talk talk. I went into the kodi screen yesterday to check the speed and it says on it "very low quality streams may work" and for online video it says "expect buffering do not try HD"

*groan* Good luck trying to get an answer from TalkTalk. I worked for them for four years and speeds were the bane of my life. Every so often a supervisor would come around asking what particular area did I think we needed more training. I always said speeds and they would put this down on the form and nothing every happened. Diagnostically you have done the correct thing and your instincts are almost certainly correct - that some manner of throttling is taking place. There is probably a setting on the router that would allow you to get around this, but TalkTalk will not even admit the throttling is taking place, let alone help you out.

tyrone girl

Thats exactly what i thought. They are a waste of time to deal with so i have not even bothered to call them. I have put a message on that forum they use which is always answered within a day or so by an advisor which to be fair helped me when had low speeds all over previously.
But due to the fact they are throttling they wont admit this and will probably tell me that im getting a decent speed on my connection and thats it more or less.

We are no longer in contract with them so i wonder is it worth changing to BT.

Did not try it on the tablet but will do this evening.

imtommygunn

The forums say they do not throttle and it's BT however if you had things that worked once and no longer do that seems implausible...

Kodi / XBMC to the best of my knowledge uses torrents?? (anyone confirm?) Lots of ISPs throttle torrents.

Netflix uses adaptive streaming. There should be no reason to throttle this. If you're throttling this your entire internet will be throttled. This was why I was asking the distinction.

gallsman

Try using a VPN - there's a massive thread on boards about Virgin Media in the south throttling Netflix and a lot of users have said a VPN or DNS proxy service got them around it.

tyrone girl

No idea what that means mind you as i am not technically minded at all.

Half the country though are using kodi etc you would wonder what makes us stand out. It isnt like we would watch a serious amount on it.

tyrone girl

Talk talk have came back on that forum and said they have detected a possible router fault. Not sure if that sounds correct though as would that not make the speedtest show a lower speed on my phone?

gallsman

Quote from: tyrone girl on March 14, 2016, 02:10:27 PM
No idea what that means mind you as i am not technically minded at all.

Half the country though are using kodi etc you would wonder what makes us stand out. It isnt like we would watch a serious amount on it.

Google it, it's piss easy and all sorts of walkthrough videos on YouTube. I'm not techie minded either and managed to set it up.

deiseach

Quote from: tyrone girl on March 14, 2016, 02:30:57 PM
Talk talk have came back on that forum and said they have detected a possible router fault. Not sure if that sounds correct though as would that not make the speedtest show a lower speed on my phone?

I know where this is going. You sign up for a new contract and get a new router. This is great if your router is a smouldering lump of molten plastic. But if it doesn't fix your particular problem you might find getting them to accept that it didn't fix the problem and letting you out of the contract to be a bit tricky.

rosnarun

may be off topic but

the parent-in-law Love the ole RIP.IE to check every morning to see the Non runners.
Now it yake about 5/10  minutes for it to load on thier machine indeed oftens times out. the net speed is currently 36 MB/s and have n issues on other sites ,
and when i try on my phone i get onto the site immediately so their site is working fine
and t my own house with much slower internet speeds i can connect without issue
any one any Ideas?
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere