Suarez not a big game player?

Started by Over the Bar, December 30, 2013, 10:03:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Over the Bar

Luis Suarez has understandably earned a lot of plaudits this year for his 19 goal haul in the Premier League but when push comes to shove, he hasn't performed at the critical times for Liverpool this year whereas Wayne Rooney has for United.

The statistics show that Suarez isn't a big game player.

http://i2.wp.com/thepeoplesperson.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/suarez-stats.jpg

In this Premier League season, he has scored 16 goals in seven games against the current worst seven sides but only three goals in eight games against the top 13 sides.

In comparison, Rooney has scored six out of his nine goals against the top 13 which is not a surprise as Rooney has always been a player for the big occasion.

From Champions League finals to highly charged Manchester derbies, Rooney thrives off the big stage. The pressure seems to make him play better.

Beating the teams lower down in the league is crucial to any Premier League title race but any team needs their best players to step up in the biggest matches and replicate that sort of form when it truly matters against the title rivals.

When push comes to shove in the big matches, you'd still pick Rooney in a heartbeat over Suarez because of his big match ability

blewuporstuffed

As he was suspended for 5 of the games against the top 13 your statistics are a bit skewed
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

J70

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on December 30, 2013, 10:26:41 AM
As he was suspended for 5 of the games against the top 13 your statistics are a bit skewed

Shh... Don't spoil it for him. This obviously is a topic close to his heart  as he had to start a whole new thread on it.

stew

If liverpool offered a straight swap between the two united should bite their arm off to make the deal. Suarez is a genius.

He would gave scored a penalty if the ref had done his job!
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: stew on December 30, 2013, 02:53:18 PM
If liverpool offered a straight swap between the two united should bite their arm off to make the deal. Suarez is a genius.

He would gave scored a penalty if the ref had done his job!

In Europe Eric was the same, very strange
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

From the Bunker

Why wasn't the title of the thread 'Suarez is not a big game player but Rooney is' ?

ONeill

Henry often had that label thrown at him.

He never scored in:

2001 FA Cup Final
2002 FA Cup Final
2003 FA Cup Final
2000 UEFA Cup Final
2006 Champions League Final
2009 Champions League Final
2000 European Championships Final
2006 World Cup Final.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

From the Bunker

Then there was David Healy. Who could do it against the big sides for Northern Ireland. But was no more than average for his clubs.