Tyrone v Kerry - All-Ireland Semi-Final, Sunday 11th August 3.30pm

Started by RedHand88, August 04, 2019, 09:27:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

In hiding

Quote from: Angelo on August 17, 2019, 08:42:45 PM
Quote from: Owen Brannigan on August 17, 2019, 07:47:05 PM
Quote from: Angelo on August 17, 2019, 09:48:19 AM
There were many decisions in that game that should be deeply concerning for the GAA and GAA fans. You could not credit it to a bad day at the office for Deegan, it was the willful way he ignored blatant fouling and cynicism on one hand and engaged in pure guesswork to punish innocuous contact on the other hand, all to the beneficiary of one side. The bias was not subtle, it was not hidden and there's barely been a peep about it - I've seen far better, much fairer refereeing performances been the subject of scrutiny and criticism in the past in games where it had less influence on the result.

There seems to be an element trying to hush the serious issues and grievances with Deegan. The conduct of Kerry, their players, management and ex players is regularly expunged fairly quickly in the media but with Tyrone they still bring up acts from 15 years ago. You will have the usual idiot savants like dublin7 and those regularly listing unsubstantiated claims against Tyrone but he won't look at his own county in the same light.

I'd just like a level playing field for all but it doesn't seem Tyrone will ever get that and you can guarantee if Armagh or Derry ever came back to the top table and stuck about they would soon understand. Some people from Armagh must have particularly short memories.

You are 100% correct about Deegan.  Tyrone were not the only Ulster side to come out the wrong side in the second half of a game - think back to Castlebar and Armagh Mayo game. He denied Armagh a chance to come back with his timekeeping.  At least Tyrone got 7 minutes to try to turn it around.

The problem arises when your team is beaten and you try to raise issues about the referee, it smells like sour grapes.

Tyrone may have got 7 minutes but the ball was only in play for about 3 of those. I think it was a minute and a half alone from O'Brien hauling McAliskey down and the ball being kicked out after Harte pointed the free. I was definitely expecting another minute or so of action after the last kick but it was futile anyway, we were very unlikely to fashion a goal chance and the damage had been done prior to that.

Again it's something that really needs to be looked at, some referees are very good at allowing the time be added on for delays and gamesmanship, others like Deegan aren't.

It may come across as sour grapes but we've lost plenty of games in the past number of years that have had absolutely nothing to do with referees. The role Deegan played for Kerry in this game was instrumental, you could guarantee had it been Tyrone who got those decisions and on the way to a win last Sunday, the referee's performance would have dominated the headlines after the match and for the ensuing week.

I certainly hope that's the last we'll ever see of Deegan over a Tyrone game and I hope it's the last time he'll ever get to give Kerry a helping hand over another team too.

Holy mother of God, please stop

Angelo

Quote from: In hiding on August 17, 2019, 08:49:18 PM
There were many decisions in that game that should be deeply concerning for the GAA and GAA fans. You could not credit it to a bad day at the office for Deegan, it was the willful way he ignored blatant fouling and cynicism on one hand and engaged in pure guesswork to punish innocuous contact on the other hand, all to the beneficiary of one side. The bias was not subtle, it was not hidden and there's barely been a peep about it - I've seen far better, much fairer refereeing performances been the subject of scrutiny and criticism in the past in games where it had less influence on the result.

There seems to be an element trying to hush the serious issues and grievances with Deegan. The conduct of Kerry, their players, management and ex players is regularly expunged fairly quickly in the media but with Tyrone they still bring up acts from 15 years ago. You will have the usual idiot savants like dublin7 and those regularly listing unsubstantiated claims against Tyrone but he won't look at his own county in the same light.

I'd just like a level playing field for all but it doesn't seem Tyrone will ever get that and you can guarantee if Armagh or Derry ever came back to the top table and stuck about they would soon understand. Some people from Armagh must have particularly short memories.

You are 100% correct about Deegan.  Tyrone were not the only Ulster side to come out the wrong side in the second half of a game - think back to Castlebar and Armagh Mayo game. He denied Armagh a chance to come back with his timekeeping.  At least Tyrone got 7 minutes to try to turn it around.

The problem arises when your team is beaten and you try to raise issues about the referee, it smells like sour grapes.

Tyrone may have got 7 minutes but the ball was only in play for about 3 of those. I think it was a minute and a half alone from O'Brien hauling McAliskey down and the ball being kicked out after Harte pointed the free. I was definitely expecting another minute or so of action after the last kick but it was futile anyway, we were very unlikely to fashion a goal chance and the damage had been done prior to that.

Again it's something that really needs to be looked at, some referees are very good at allowing the time be added on for delays and gamesmanship, others like Deegan aren't.

It may come across as sour grapes but we've lost plenty of games in the past number of years that have had absolutely nothing to do with referees. The role Deegan played for Kerry in this game was instrumental, you could guarantee had it been Tyrone who got those decisions and on the way to a win last Sunday, the referee's performance would have dominated the headlines after the match and for the ensuing week.

I certainly hope that's the last we'll ever see of Deegan over a Tyrone game and I hope it's the last time he'll ever get to give Kerry a helping hand over another team too.

Why?
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Rossfan

Don't stop.
It's the best comedy I've seen for years (and it's free!!).
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

In hiding

Quote from: Angelo on August 17, 2019, 08:51:50 PM
Quote from: In hiding on August 17, 2019, 08:49:18 PM

Why?

I suppose you're right. Although it's better to be quiet and let people think you're a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt

reddgnhand

They have lost them in the same fashion. With this team their mistakes are like a bus when one comes 3 or 4 seem to follow. This team cant seem to dig themselves out of it. I'm thinking about games against Kerry x 2,Mayo and to an extent Dublin last year in the AIF. Tyrone were up by 5 and had chances to extend their lead and one bad error led to another. Theres a serious problem with this team and one I dont believe the current management can fix.

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: reddgnhand on August 17, 2019, 09:41:55 PM

They have lost them in the same fashion. With this team their mistakes are like a bus when one comes 3 or 4 seem to follow. This team cant seem to dig themselves out of it. I'm thinking about games against Kerry x 2,Mayo and to an extent Dublin last year in the AIF. Tyrone were up by 5 and had chances to extend their lead and one bad error led to another. Theres a serious problem with this team and one I dont believe the current management can fix.

Sounds exactly same as problem being experienced by English cricket team, when one falters there is a collapse that cannot be recovered even when one or two do their best to turn it around. Other sports show the same problem when there are teams dependent on a programmed system of play. Disrupt the system and you beat them if they don't have the players to adapt and lead.

For Tyrone, it can be traced back to the use of systems and over-reliance on the system, when it falters if there isn't a core of players with match winning abilities willing and able to step up then the game is lost. 

Previous winning Harte teams had such groups of players who could adapt, this one doesn't have it, Donnelly & Harte can't carry it every time. When Harte is neutralised, Donnelly & McShane are left trying alone and when the scores don't happen as in the second half they lose, no one else can step up, just do their programmed work. An unhelpful referee just made it worse but didn't take the game away.

Don't blame the players, their commitment to the system is unquestionable. The game was lost on the line.

dublin7

Everyone keeps saying Peter Harte is a top player, but is he? He's never done it against Dublin in the championship despite multiple chances. He got a stupid black card against Donegal and was marked out of it a5md never seen against Kerry this year

From the Bunker

Quote from: dublin7 on August 17, 2019, 10:49:43 PM
Everyone keeps saying Peter Harte is a top player, but is he? He's never done it against Dublin in the championship despite multiple chances. He got a stupid black card against Donegal and was marked out of it a5md never seen against Kerry this year

He's a top player! I'm sure if you picked one of Dublins many top players and parachuted them into the Tyrone team they'd look less glamorous. Quit your jibber Jabber!

dublin7

Quote from: From the Bunker on August 17, 2019, 10:57:40 PM

He's a top player! I'm sure if you picked one of Dublins many top players and parachuted them into the Tyrone team they'd look less glamorous. Quit your jibber Jabber!
Top players do it on the big occasions were as Harte has disappeared.

You should stick to what you do best and rant about dublin funding

reddgnhand

Quote from: dublin7 on August 17, 2019, 11:13:48 PM

He could be a top player but he's been moved around that much its taken its toll on him. He's been CHB, HB, MF,HF,FF. His head must be turned.

From the Bunker

Quote from: dublin7 on August 17, 2019, 11:13:48 PM

Thank you! I'm Pretty good at that alright. It's quite easy really.  Really hope ye do it next Sunday, I'll be rooting for ye!

Armagh18

Ref rode us in Castlebar, even worse than he did with Tyrone vs Kerry but just like Tyrone we beat ourselves conceding soft scores and not taking our own.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Armagh18 on August 18, 2019, 02:47:47 PM

Ref rode us in Castlebar, even worse than he did with Tyrone vs Kerry but just like Tyrone we beat ourselves conceding soft scores and not taking our own.

Easy to blame refs after a loss. Armagh beat themselves in Castlebar, goal chances not taken 13 wides and other efforts dropped short.

Tyrone for the way they played 2nd half last Sunday deserved to be beaten.

Armagh18

Quote from: Captain Obvious on August 18, 2019, 05:42:03 PM
Quote from: Armagh18 on August 18, 2019, 02:47:47 PM

Easy to blame refs after a loss. Armagh beat themselves in Castlebar, goal chances not taken 13 wides and other efforts dropped short.

Tyrone for the way they played 2nd half last Sunday deserved to be beaten.
100% correct sir, 2 bad refereeing performances but both teams beat themselves.