Tyrone v Kerry - All-Ireland Semi-Final, Sunday 11th August 3.30pm

Started by RedHand88, August 04, 2019, 09:27:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redhand Santa

Quote from: Angelo on August 06, 2019, 07:38:26 AM
With regards to the team for this there would be four players who could find their place in question - HP, McKernan, Kennedy and McCurry.

I thought McCurry was really poor against Cork and I'd use him off the bench next week as a result. McKernan is also better off the bench, he switches off on his defensive duties far too much. I think Kennedy starts, he gives that size and drive around the middle of the pitch, I'd like to see him start becoming more of a target on kickouts.

Tiernan McCann didn't do enough Sunday to force his way in, I'm not sure how up to speed Hampsey is or how fit he is but I think he needs to start. Cassidy did well and should start if fit but he picked up a knock before he came off.

Think I would go with something along the lines of:

1. Morgan
2. HP
3. McNamee
4. Brennan
5. Cassidy
6. Hampsey
7. Burns
8. Cavanagh
9. Kennedy
10. McGeary
11. Sludden
12. Mattie
13. Harte
14. McShane
15. Meyler

The match ups will be important, Clifford, Geaney, O'Shea and O'Brien all need to be tagged and all need it to be done well.

That probably wouldn't be far away from the 15 if everyone is fit. Though I'd be tempted to play McAliskey and leave Hugh Pat out (with Meyler dropping to half back and Hampsey into full back line). If did that you could start with McAliskey and McShane up front and have the option of rotating Donnelly and McShane at times. If starting McAliskey he'd need to stay up front were he is most effective. The other question mark for me is whether to start R Donnelly ahead of Burns or Kennedy.

I think we have a great chance in this one to be honest. Our forward line is a lot stronger than previous years with McShane up there and playing Harte and Donnelly closer to the opposition goals. Meyler and McGeary will be very important as we will need their energy to continually drive forward from the half back line.

It's a massive game for both teams. Both have plenty of potential but still have question marks over them. One of the big questions over Tyrone is about being able to beat a Dublin/Kerry/Mayo - hopefully that will no longer be brought up after Sunday.

Angelo

I'd probably be looking along the lines of Hampsey picking up Sean O'Shea, McNamee on Clifford, HP on Geaney and Meyler on O'Brien.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Redhand Santa

I'd imagine Brennan will get one of those marking jobs. Another factor is the fitness of both Hampsey and Cassidy. Cassidy seemed to be limping coming off and hard to know how fit Hampsey is.

Angelo

Quote from: Redhand Santa on August 06, 2019, 09:33:53 AM
I'd imagine Brennan will get one of those marking jobs. Another factor is the fitness of both Hampsey and Cassidy. Cassidy seemed to be limping coming off and hard to know how fit Hampsey is.

Could see Brennan picking up Killian Spillane.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Angelo on August 06, 2019, 09:20:31 AM
I'd probably be looking along the lines of Hampsey picking up Sean O'Shea, McNamee on Clifford, HP on Geaney and Meyler on O'Brien.

That has early yellow/black card all over it. Let's hope for McNamee sake he has one of those games this weekend. If not Clifford will destroy him.

BennyHarp

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on August 06, 2019, 10:38:23 AM

That has early yellow/black card all over it. Let's hope for McNamee sake he has one of those games this weekend. If not Clifford will destroy him.

Ditto for every defender in Ireland
That was never a square ball!!

Angelo

McNamee has arguably been the best defender in the country to this point. He has seen off the likes of McBrearty, Cox and Hurley well at this point. Clifford is a tough assignment for any defender but McMenamin dealt with very well for Donegal at Croke Park. Who would you suggest?

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Angelo on August 06, 2019, 11:44:23 AM

McNamee has arguably been the best defender in the country to this point. He has seen off the likes of McBrearty, Cox and Hurley well at this point. Clifford is a tough assignment for any defender but McMenamin dealt with very well for Donegal at Croke Park. Who would you suggest?

Rory Brennan probably has the best profile, doesn't tend to get involved in the niggle McNamee does either concentrating on the task at hand. McNamee superior physicality probably best served marking Geaney who could overpower Brennan.

Just my opinion on the match ups. We'll see what Harte does.

That said, McNamee best defender in country to this point? Absolutely no.

dublin7

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on August 06, 2019, 11:54:36 AM

Rory Brennan probably has the best profile, doesn't tend to get involved in the niggle McNamee does either concentrating on the task at hand. McNamee superior physicality probably best served marking Geaney who could overpower Brennan.

It helps when he has 12/13 players playing alongside him in defence. Leave him on his own in a 1 on 1 battle like Mayo/Dublin defenders and we'll see how good he is then

trueblue1234

Quote from: dublin7 on August 06, 2019, 12:48:06 PM

It helps when he has 12/13 players playing alongside him in defence. Leave him on his own in a 1 on 1 battle like Mayo/Dublin defenders and we'll see how good he is then

Dublin were fond of dropping men back on Sunday as well. Dublin are just quicker at getting them back up the pitch again.
I had McManamon at 8-1 for 1st goal scorer and was a bit gutted to see him playing so deep. Spent a lot of time in his own half back and midfield.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Hound

Quote from: trueblue1234 on August 06, 2019, 01:04:21 PM

Dublin were fond of dropping men back on Sunday as well. Dublin are just quicker at getting them back up the pitch again.
I had McManamon at 8-1 for 1st goal scorer and was a bit gutted to see him playing so deep. Spent a lot of time in his own half back and midfield.
While there was some rotation, Kev was mainly at centre half forward on Sunday (Costello, Small and Andrews in the FF line). Didn't think he played overly deep for an 11, but agree as a first scorer choice you would never have bet on him at 8/1 if you thought he wasn't going to be corner forward.

scout

Anyone got tickets online yet?
I've been in the queue twice now for both over 1.5hours. And the system crashes when it's my turn?

Armagh18

Jaysus has anyone seen Hartes latest comments on Sky/Rte? Couldn't like them Tyrones huers if ye reared them.

sambostar

I'd agree re McNamee more suited to Geaney. Rory Brennan on Sean O'Shea, Hampsey on Clifford (rough him up a bit maybe), Meyler to track SOB (serious pace)

clarshack

Quote from: scout on August 06, 2019, 01:39:16 PM
Anyone got tickets online yet?
I've been in the queue twice now for both over 1.5hours. And the system crashes when it's my turn?

wouldn't have thought there'd be any more than 45-50k at sundays game so a bit surprised there is a big queue online for tickets.