Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigtogs

Quote from: southtyronegael on November 09, 2020, 09:41:04 AM
Is this anything to do with the Roisin Jordan libel case and the emails that were sent to the Dublin radio station?

I have not a clue i just heard leaked emails....

omagh_gael

Has Kerry's (Peter Keane's) performance yesterday dampened down any of the 'Harte out' thoughts within our own county?

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: omagh_gael on November 09, 2020, 10:35:58 AM
Has Kerry's (Peter Keane's) performance yesterday dampened down any of the 'Harte out' thoughts within our own county?

Fair question, I thought Kerry beat themselves yesterday. They'll be sick this morning, especially beat with that type of smash and grab.

Straight knockout of course makes for this type of spectacle but I don't think I would want it back full time.....It's a very harsh format. The game itself, the weather was shocking but the amount of fouling and delaying tactics, especially from Cork - they did what they had to do though.

Could straight knockout help Tyrone and Harte? I would probably say the opposite to be honest. It would take Dublin getting taken out for the Anti Harte calls to stop.

Goals_Will_Come

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on November 09, 2020, 10:41:18 AM

Fair question, I thought Kerry beat themselves yesterday. They'll be sick this morning, especially beat with that type of smash and grab.

Straight knockout of course makes for this type of spectacle but I don't think I would want it back full time.....It's a very harsh format. The game itself, the weather was shocking but the amount of fouling and delaying tactics, especially from Cork - they did what they had to do though.

Could straight knockout help Tyrone and Harte? I would probably say the opposite to be honest. It would take Dublin getting taken out for the Anti Harte calls to stop.
Straight knockout only works if it goes to a 32 county open draw and you scrap the provinces. In which case it could benefit anyone, you could have the established big teams on one side of the draw with unfancied teams reaching semi finals and finals and so on.
It has potential but can't work with the existing provincial structure, Ulster and Leinster have potentially 4 games to get to a semi final and Connacht and Munster potentially just 2.

Rawhide

Quote from: Goals_Will_Come on November 09, 2020, 10:47:02 AM

Straight knockout only works if it goes to a 32 county open draw and you scrap the provinces. In which case it could benefit anyone, you could have the established big teams on one side of the draw with unfancied teams reaching semi finals and finals and so on.
It has potential but can't work with the existing provincial structure, Ulster and Leinster have potentially 4 games to get to a semi final and Connacht and Munster potentially just 2.

If you applied the straight knock out over the past 20 yrs you would only have One senior All Ireland. Surprised you even discussing it
cccc is a true supporter lol

GetOverTheBar

Galway could win an All Ireland playing 3 games.

It's possible, is it likely? I think Mayo will beat them but still....

square_ball

Quote from: the_daddy on November 09, 2020, 11:18:57 AM
Quote from: Rawhide on November 09, 2020, 10:59:21 AM

If you applied the straight knock out over the past 20 yrs you would only have One senior All Ireland. Surprised you even discussing it

Who knows? We might have won it sooner if there was no backdoor in 2001 and we're playing Roscommon in an All Ireland Semi Final.

Or similarly Donegal could have regrouped after being beat in the 1993 Ulster final and went on and won back to back all Ireland's. So who knows.

Rawhide

Quote from: the_daddy on November 09, 2020, 11:18:57 AM
Quote from: Rawhide on November 09, 2020, 10:59:21 AM

Who knows? We might have won it sooner if there was no backdoor in 2001 and we're playing Roscommon in an All Ireland Semi Final.

We know you won two through the back door against the traditional way and now we have some Tyrone posters suggesting we go back to the traditionally championship, same as your club championship. The irony is not lost on me or you either. Of all the counties I would have thought you would be the last to want to go away from having a second chance.
cccc is a true supporter lol

Angelo

Is Rawhide another Derry voyeur seeking out the Tyrone forums?
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

bigtogs

Why would Peter Keane and Kerry have anything to Do with Tyrone and Mickey Harte?

omagh_gael

Quote from: bigtogs on November 09, 2020, 12:10:40 PM
Why would Peter Keane and Kerry have anything to Do with Tyrone and Mickey Harte?

I think it's an interesting parallel in that you've a team who are clear 2nd favourites in the AI going out against a mediocre with very negative tactics. They've one of the best forwards in recent years playing with little support up front and have now been sent packing. My point is two fold, Mickey would have been torn to shreds if that were us and secondly it reinforces the point that there appears to be little standout people to replace him. I'm not saying Peter Keane could replace Harte, it's that the vast majority of top managers are playing a brand of football that is more or less identical to Tyrone.

My initial thoughts after Donegal game were Harte's time is up but on sober reflection I would give him one more year playing with a full deck  with a forward unit involving Mc Kenna, McShane, Canavan, Bradley, Harte, McCurry etc to see what happens. There's no getting away from the fact that there is no obvious candidate, there really isn't. I'd install the next senior management team with the 20s with a view to them taking over in 2022.

bigtogs

Quote from: omagh_gael on November 09, 2020, 12:51:25 PM

I think it's an interesting parallel in that you've a team who are clear 2nd favourites in the AI going out against a mediocre with very negative tactics. They've one of the best forwards in recent years playing with little support up front and have now been sent packing. My point is two fold, Mickey would have been torn to shreds if that were us and secondly it reinforces the point that there appears to be little standout people to replace him. I'm not saying Peter Keane could replace Harte, it's that the vast majority of top managers are playing a brand of football that is more or less identical to Tyrone.

My initial thoughts after Donegal game were Harte's time is up but on sober reflection I would give him one more year playing with a full deck  with a forward unit involving Mc Kenna, McShane, Canavan, Bradley, Harte, McCurry etc to see what happens. There's no getting away from the fact that there is no obvious candidate, there really isn't. I'd install the next senior management team with the 20s with a view to them taking over in 2022.
[/quote

In Kerry you would not get 12 years with no All Ireland's..... but is suppose that is why we have 3 and they have 37....

GetOverTheBar

In fairness, I'd be surprised if Keane doesn't get the road in the next few weeks. They won't accept this in Kerry.

Cork now likely to go and lose to Tipp.

WT4E

My worry would be the longer Mickey hangs around the more chance he will have ruined a decent forward unit and turned Canavan, Bradley and McKenna into running backs!

Angelo

Quote from: WT4E on November 09, 2020, 01:36:07 PM

My worry would be the longer Mickey hangs around the more chance he will have ruined a decent forward unit and turned Canavan, Bradley and McKenna into running backs!

For the first time since 2005 I genuinely think we have a forward line to play the a more progressive game. I think the type of football we have played in recent years has been more of a necessary evil than Harte setting out to ruin good players. The bottom line is you can't fit the likes of McCurry, Bradley, Brennan, McAliskey, O'Neill into the same forward line at the same time.

GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL