Previous topic - Next topic

GlenMan

Quote from: Mikhailov on February 14, 2020, 04:23:48 PM
What's the story with Conal Grimes - no sign of him lately on any team sheets

He was No. 19 against Kerry?

JimStynes

Quote from: GaaFanatic123 on February 14, 2020, 10:54:03 AM
Quote from: JimStynes on February 14, 2020, 08:02:23 AM
What a load of shite. AFL is an incredibly physical game, Gaelic football doesn't compare in that regard. Completely different game and different fitness required. Gaa would be quicker and more twisting and turning. AFL games regularly last over 100 mins and the ground is massive. It's a much more lung busting run type sport. They cover crazy kilometres throughout games. The skills levels would be much higher in GAA as well. I could see McKenna playing CHB or somewhere like that now. Even midfield as he will be extremely fit and used to getting up and down the ground.

AFL players average running distance is 13k (Just done research on google them on distances posted by the teams), the same for intercounty game is averge 13k but intercounty is done in less time...
AFL is an incredibly physical game - Obv it is im not doubting that but so is Gaa, McKenna will be likened to Caolan Mooney, same build and speed! Some say Mooney didn't make but he played 2 season with Collingwood who where one of the top teams in the AFL

The average county player runs around 9.5km-10km per game if I remember correctly. We did a study on this last year. There are of course some who will run more. The average AFL was upwards of 14km per game with some covering 18-20km per game. They're different games so can't compare like for like. AFL is a professional game and they've some of the best sports science people over there. 
I'd say McKenna would much rather play Gaelic football. I played for a season and a half in Perth about 8 years ago and couldn't believe how boring the game is at times, catch, kick and tackle. Side stepping and dummies lead you to near getting your head taken off as I found out. I'm biased but I think gaelic is a much superior game in terms skills and excitement.

Pearse Blue

Quote from: GlenMan on February 14, 2020, 04:26:28 PM

He was No. 19 against Kerry?
Should've been on, would've made more of a mark on the game than what was in defense

TimmyTrumpet

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on February 14, 2020, 04:25:43 PM

Probably undergoing a silent ban for some of his exploits last season.

The trumpet knows of no exploits. Watch that slander!!

trileacman

Quote from: JimStynes on February 14, 2020, 04:27:00 PM
What a load of shite. AFL is an incredibly physical game, Gaelic football doesn't compare in that regard. Completely different game and different fitness required. Gaa would be quicker and more twisting and turning. AFL games regularly last over 100 mins and the ground is massive. It's a much more lung busting run type sport. They cover crazy kilometres throughout games. The skills levels would be much higher in GAA as well. I could see McKenna playing CHB or somewhere like that now. Even midfield as he will be extremely fit and used to getting up and down the ground.

AFL players average running distance is 13k (Just done research on google them on distances posted by the teams), the same for intercounty game is averge 13k but intercounty is done in less time...
AFL is an incredibly physical game - Obv it is im not doubting that but so is Gaa, McKenna will be likened to Caolan Mooney, same build and speed! Some say Mooney didn't make but he played 2 season with Collingwood who where one of the top teams in the AFL

The average county player runs around 9.5km-10km per game if I remember correctly. We did a study on this last year. There are of course some who will run more. The average AFL was upwards of 14km per game with some covering 18-20km per game. They're different games so can't compare like for like. AFL is a professional game and they've some of the best sports science people over there. 
I'd say McKenna would much rather play Gaelic football. I played for a season and a half in Perth about 8 years ago and couldn't believe how boring the game is at times, catch, kick and tackle. Side stepping and dummies lead you to near getting your head taken off as I found out. I'm biased but I think gaelic is a much superior game in terms skills and excitement.

Watched a bit of Essendon highlights to see how McKenna did. Came to the opinion AFL is a horrendous game. An absolute dearth of talent. Were it not for the mark it'd just be a game of royal shrovetide football. It was really telling from McKenna's contributions he was trying to play gaelic football; accurate passing, low trajectory passes, taking on players, selling dummies etc. He stood out a mile in the melee of men running around dragging each other to the ground and thumping the ball as far as you can. Not that it done him any favours, AFL is a game designed to advocate fitness and strength over talent and finesse.

There was a passage of play where McKenna bounced the ball twice on the run and the commentators were in awe of it. f**king imagine had they seen him solo it.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Angelo

Quote from: trileacman on February 14, 2020, 04:55:06 PM
Quote from: JimStynes on February 14, 2020, 04:27:00 PM

Watched a bit of Essendon highlights to see how McKenna did. Came to the opinion AFL is a horrendous game. An absolute dearth of talent. Were it not for the mark it'd just be a game of royal shrovetide football. It was really telling from McKenna's contributions he was trying to play gaelic football; accurate passing, low trajectory passes, taking on players, selling dummies etc. He stood out a mile in the melee of men running around dragging each other to the ground and thumping the ball as far as you can. Not that it done him any favours, AFL is a game designed to advocate fitness and strength over talent and finesse.

There was a passage of play where McKenna bounced the ball twice on the run and the commentators were in awe of it. f**king imagine had they seen him solo it.

I wouldn't have a huge interest in. It's played at a helter skelter place but doesn't have much method to it from my eyes. I think guys like Fenton or Clifford would have struggled as they are quite languid and the style wouldn't have suited them.

What jumps out at you about McKenna is his pace in those clips, these are pro lads in a game that is honed around pace and power and he is burning a lot of these guys. He has some engine on him.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

JimStynes

AFL wasn't about pace and it's only the last number of years that pace has started to play a major part. If you remember the old international rules teams they sent over were full of slow big tall players and the Gaelic teams literally run rings around them until the Aussies resorted to dirt. In fact AFL is moving more towards Gaelic football style running and playing on rather than take a mark, Gaelic is now moving more towards and Aussie rules style game ffs.

inroundthesquare

Quote from: topofthesoil on February 14, 2020, 03:29:42 PM
what way are the u20s going ATM? Be heavily fancied tomorrow?

1. Lorcan Quinn
2. Cormac Quinn
3. Cormac Munroe
4. Ryan Jones
5. Michael Gallagher
6. Antoin Fox
7. James McCann
8. Kevin Barker
9. Joe Oguz
10. Liam Gray
11. Darragh Canavan
12. Neil Kilpatrick
13. Ethan Jordan
14. Mattie Murnaghan
15. Tiarnan Quinn

7 or 8 from last year there on my count - expected to beat Armagh (4/7 with bookies) but still bad forecast for tomorrow and Armagh will be ready for a crack at them. Don't think they took that league too seriously - got beat by Louth during it.

Goals_Will_Come

Quote from: inroundthesquare on February 14, 2020, 10:26:09 PM

1. Lorcan Quinn
2. Cormac Quinn
3. Cormac Munroe
4. Ryan Jones
5. Michael Gallagher
6. Antoin Fox
7. James McCann
8. Kevin Barker
9. Joe Oguz
10. Liam Gray
11. Darragh Canavan
12. Neil Kilpatrick
13. Ethan Jordan
14. Mattie Murnaghan
15. Tiarnan Quinn

7 or 8 from last year there on my count - expected to beat Armagh (4/7 with bookies) but still bad forecast for tomorrow and Armagh will be ready for a crack at them. Don't think they took that league too seriously - got beat by Louth during it.
What is the story with Michael Conroy? injured?

bigtogs

Quote from: Goals_Will_Come on February 15, 2020, 01:09:06 PM

1. Lorcan Quinn
2. Cormac Quinn
3. Cormac Munroe
4. Ryan Jones
5. Michael Gallagher
6. Antoin Fox
7. James McCann
8. Kevin Barker
9. Joe Oguz
10. Liam Gray
11. Darragh Canavan
12. Neil Kilpatrick
13. Ethan Jordan
14. Mattie Murnaghan
15. Tiarnan Quinn

I heard he was removed from the panel...Not sure if true or not though...

Under Lights

Heard a few removed for discipline reasons a couple of weeks ago

RedHand88

Video of mcshane rowing in cookstown going around. Seems to have been jumped by someone else.

Pearse Blue

Quote from: bigtogs on February 15, 2020, 01:13:09 PM

1. Lorcan Quinn
2. Cormac Quinn
3. Cormac Munroe
4. Ryan Jones
5. Michael Gallagher
6. Antoin Fox
7. James McCann
8. Kevin Barker
9. Joe Oguz
10. Liam Gray
11. Darragh Canavan
12. Neil Kilpatrick
13. Ethan Jordan
14. Mattie Murnaghan
15. Tiarnan Quinn

Fall out with Paul Dook when on their training weekend. Generally seems to have a bad attitude

GaaFanatic123

Quote from: Pearse Blue on February 17, 2020, 08:13:32 AM

1. Lorcan Quinn
2. Cormac Quinn
3. Cormac Munroe
4. Ryan Jones
5. Michael Gallagher
6. Antoin Fox
7. James McCann
8. Kevin Barker
9. Joe Oguz
10. Liam Gray
11. Darragh Canavan
12. Neil Kilpatrick
13. Ethan Jordan
14. Mattie Murnaghan
15. Tiarnan Quinn

Fall out with Paul Dook when on their training weekend. Generally seems to have a bad attitude

He apparently forgot where the toilet was.......

Pearse Blue

Quote from: GaaFanatic123 on February 17, 2020, 09:53:01 AM
Quote from: Pearse Blue on February 17, 2020, 08:13:32 AM

1. Lorcan Quinn
2. Cormac Quinn
3. Cormac Munroe
4. Ryan Jones
5. Michael Gallagher
6. Antoin Fox
7. James McCann
8. Kevin Barker
9. Joe Oguz
10. Liam Gray
11. Darragh Canavan
12. Neil Kilpatrick
13. Ethan Jordan
14. Mattie Murnaghan
15. Tiarnan Quinn

He apparently forgot where the toilet was.......
Fair play to Paul, Conroy was a main player on that team and he went to school in Armagh and would love to be playing against them. A lot of managers let players away with too much and this is how egos are built.