Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

In hiding

Quote from: bgal10 on January 30, 2018, 05:36:50 PM
Standard over the top negativity from tyrone fans as usual. Sunday was a poor performance but it happens. Fact of the matter is, we are probably the 4th or 5th best team in the country and are going for 3 ulster titles in a row (something which no tyrone team has ever achieved before).
We got beaten by a superior Dublin team in the All Ireland semi-final last year (a team that some say is the best ever). Before that game, everyone was raving about Tyrone's counter attacking play.  People can keep harping on about the negative football and lack of free flowing forward play. The basic fact is, we don't have those elite inside forwards that Dublin, Mayo and Kerry possess. We don't have a Cillian O'Connor, a Paul Geaney or any 1 of the numerous Dublin forwards. Do people think if we still had Stephen O'Neill, Peter Canavan, Owen Mulligan all available that we would still be playing the same system we do now? You have to play to your strengths.
Also, the idea of Tyrone having this unwatchable system of football is something that has been originated by the media and jumped on by the majority of the public. Never let the facts get in the way of a good story as they say.
People can say that the forwards aren't getting a chance to shine…personally I think this is nonsense. The elite players will always find a way to score.
Do the people on here seriously think that if Mickey had stepped aside, we would have beaten Dublin last year? Or if he stepped aside now, we would go one better than last year and win Sam? 3 semi finals in the last 5 years with 2 ulster titles is probably about right for the current group of players, considering the presence of the current Dublin team and a Mayo team who aren't far behind.
We are what we are and that is a very good team who are probably a couple of elite forwards away from properly challenging the top 3.

Who in the name of God are these elite forwards that Mayo have ??

This is the latest drivel being pedalled on this thread. Cillian O Connor is not an elite forward, Andy Moran is not an elite forward. If they played for Tyrone we would have Mickey’s disciples telling us all that we don’t have elite forwards. You tell us that Tyrone are only unwatchable because the media tell us so.....

Unbelievable

I expect this sh1t from bomber and Redzone and  Redhand Santa but now we have another, (or maybe just another account from one of the above)

RedHand88

Andy Moran is an exceptional forward. I suggest you research the Mayo campaign last summer. Also id rather have O Connor hitting frees over any of our ones.

BennyHarp

Quote from: reddgnhand on January 30, 2018, 04:12:50 PM
Serious question. Should MH be allowed to continue forever? Its 10 years since he last won a big game. Would this happen in any other county?

Noveau riche fans - Ulster Finals aren't big games anymore.
That was never a square ball!!

redzone

Quote from: In hiding on January 30, 2018, 05:47:45 PM
Standard over the top negativity from tyrone fans as usual. Sunday was a poor performance but it happens. Fact of the matter is, we are probably the 4th or 5th best team in the country and are going for 3 ulster titles in a row (something which no tyrone team has ever achieved before).
We got beaten by a superior Dublin team in the All Ireland semi-final last year (a team that some say is the best ever). Before that game, everyone was raving about Tyrone's counter attacking play.  People can keep harping on about the negative football and lack of free flowing forward play. The basic fact is, we don't have those elite inside forwards that Dublin, Mayo and Kerry possess. We don't have a Cillian O'Connor, a Paul Geaney or any 1 of the numerous Dublin forwards. Do people think if we still had Stephen O'Neill, Peter Canavan, Owen Mulligan all available that we would still be playing the same system we do now? You have to play to your strengths.
Also, the idea of Tyrone having this unwatchable system of football is something that has been originated by the media and jumped on by the majority of the public. Never let the facts get in the way of a good story as they say.
People can say that the forwards aren't getting a chance to shine...personally I think this is nonsense. The elite players will always find a way to score.
Do the people on here seriously think that if Mickey had stepped aside, we would have beaten Dublin last year? Or if he stepped aside now, we would go one better than last year and win Sam? 3 semi finals in the last 5 years with 2 ulster titles is probably about right for the current group of players, considering the presence of the current Dublin team and a Mayo team who aren't far behind.
We are what we are and that is a very good team who are probably a couple of elite forwards away from properly challenging the top 3.

This is the latest drivel being pedalled on this thread. Cillian O Connor is not an elite forward, Andy Moran is not an elite forward. If they played for Tyrone we would have Mickey's disciples telling us all that we don't have elite forwards. You tell us that Tyrone are only unwatchable because the media tell us so.....

Unbelievable

I expect this sh1t from bomber and Redzone and  Redhand Santa but now we have another, (or maybe just another account from one of the above)
Hard to believe u don't think Andy Moran is a top forward. POTY. O Connor as well. What he hits from frees makes him top class.

GetOverTheBar

People can say that the forwards aren't getting a chance to shine...personally I think this is nonsense. The elite players will always find a way to score.

This is the latest drivel being pedalled on this thread. Cillian O Connor is not an elite forward, Andy Moran is not an elite forward. If they played for Tyrone we would have Mickey's disciples telling us all that we don't have elite forwards. You tell us that Tyrone are only unwatchable because the media tell us so.....

Unbelievable

Massively wrong. Both start for any other county in Ireland. Moran is probably one of the greatest players in modern times.

I'd say Jason Doherty and Aiden O'Shea also start for Tyrone as a point of fact.

RedHand88

Quote from: BennyHarp on January 30, 2018, 06:12:35 PM
Quote from: reddgnhand on January 30, 2018, 04:12:50 PM
Serious question. Should MH be allowed to continue forever? Its 10 years since he last won a big game. Would this happen in any other county?

Noveau riches fans - Ulster Finals aren't big games anymore.

Thought that myself. I know not too long ago they were huge occasions. Seems nothing will please the anti-harte brigade.

redzone

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on January 30, 2018, 06:16:25 PM

Unbelievable

Massively wrong. Both start for any other county in Ireland. Moran is probably one of the greatest players in modern times.

I'd say Jason Doherty and Aiden O'Shea also start for Tyrone as a point of fact.
As stupid a statement as it is it will never beat the time u asked were dinky mcbride was from despite u being an omagh man. U were well christened
Time to go with Lee Brennan, for the frees if nothing else. Thats aboulstely killing us.
I wonder did it backfire on Harte on Sunday. Both Bradley and Rory Brennan should be on, but both were left on the bench. Mattie back to 6 and bear to 3.mcnamme and Brennan in the corners.pete and mccann 5+7.no 8 McClure and 9 -----10. Meyler 11. Sludden 12. Burns 13. Brennan 14---- 15 Bradley

bgal10

Unbelievable

How can you say o Connor isn't an elite forward? He has finished top scorer in the championship 4 times i think? Kicked 7 points out of mayos 13 when they beat us in 2016 QF! He kicked 5 in their league win over us last year. We had no one even close to those numbers. We also don't have a forward who would do what he did to level the 2016 AIF either

southtyronegael

whilst i agree that cillian o connor and andy moran are top forwards, how would they fair if they were dropped into the tyrone team? my guess is that they are top forwards because they get the right ball kicked into them and they do the rest. that in itself breeds confidence in a forward.

longballin

Quote from: southtyronegael on January 30, 2018, 08:00:35 PM
whilst i agree that cillian o connor and andy moran are top forwards, how would they fair if they were dropped into the tyrone team? my guess is that they are top forwards because they get the right ball kicked into them and they do the rest. that in itself breeds confidence in a forward.

they'd be dropped back into their own half if they were with Tyrone

bgal10

Quote from: longballin on January 30, 2018, 08:02:49 PM
Quote from: southtyronegael on January 30, 2018, 08:00:35 PM

they'd be dropped back into their own half if they were with Tyrone

Elite players make it happen regardless of the system. Paddy mcbrearty, colm McFadden and Michael Murphy were all able to shine as brilliant forwards whilst playing for Donegal under Jim McGuinness. A team that many people say were one of the most defensive of all time.

I think colm McFadden even finished as top scorer in the championship in that period.

southtyronegael

yes bgal10, but for all their defensiveness, donegal used the kick pass very well. remember karl laceys pass into murphy for the goal in 2012 final? to be honest weve just become a piss poor imitation of that donegal team. mickey harte is no mc guiness.

bgal10

Quote from: southtyronegael on January 30, 2018, 08:23:42 PM
yes bgal10, but for all their defensiveness, donegal used the kick pass very well. remember karl laceys pass into murphy for the goal in 2012 final? to be honest weve just become a piss poor imitation of that donegal team. mickey harte is no mc guiness.

A good ball yes but Murphy still had to rise and catch above the defender and then turn and fire it to the roof of the net....if we put that ball into our forward line, i really don't see the same outcome.

southtyronegael

obviously that wouldnt work with mark bradley or mc curry. but i bet if the likes of mattie donnelly got a few balls like that into him on the edge of the square he could do the same.

southtyronegael

and if u watch mayo, u dont see them pump high ball into andy moran, alway threaded passes just at the right height for him to come onto. this doesnt happen by chance, its worked on tirelessly at training with mc entee from crossmaglen showing them how to get it right. how much work are we doing on this aspect of our game at training?