Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tothetop03

So slabbering and insulting all in sundry is ok then...

BennyHarp

Quote from: tothetop03 on December 06, 2016, 09:18:15 PM

Jesus wept! Insulting all in sundry??  ::)

I was at a sportsmans dinner a few years ago. A few legends of cricket, soccer,  rugby league and union were there. There was a Q&A and someone asked about sledging stories and they happily regaled stories of a range of "abuse" they experienced during their careers, all of which were very funny. Unbelievably, none of the guys were mentally scarred, none of the guys were injured as a result, none of them seemed to give a shite about what was said to them and accepted it as part of the competitive nature of the sports they played. Some guys are mouthy, some guys aren't, it's been part and parcel of competitive team sport since competitive team sport began. And believe or not, even long before this Tyrone team came along! It may look a bit unsavory at times but it's not Mickey Harte or the Tyrone teams responsibility to clean this out of the game (and if you seriously think every single team in every single county in Ireland doesn't mouth at each other then you must have never played the game) and I couldn't care less if the players do it or not.
That was never a square ball!!

longballin

Quote from: BennyHarp on December 06, 2016, 09:45:09 PM

I was at a sportsmans dinner a few years ago. A few legends of cricket, soccer,  rugby league and union were there. There was a Q&A and someone asked about sledging stories and they happily regaled stories of a range of "abuse" they experienced during their careers, all of which were very funny. Unbelievably, none of the guys were mentally scarred, none of the guys were injured as a result, none of them seemed to give a shite about what was said to them and accepted it as part of the competitive nature of the sports they played. Some guys are mouthy, some guys aren't, it's been part and parcel of competitive team sport since competitive team sport began. And believe or not, even long before this Tyrone team came along! It may look a bit unsavory at times but it's not Mickey Harte or the Tyrone teams responsibility to clean this out of the game (and if you seriously think every single team in every single county in Ireland doesn't mouth at each other then you must have never played the game) and I couldn't care less if the players do it or not.

Rubbish lad - most players dont do it and many teams dont and is the work of a sc**bag to make lewd comments about an opponents mother etc... and I have played the game

BennyHarp

Quote from: longballin on December 06, 2016, 09:58:35 PM

Rubbish lad - most players dont do it and many teams dont and is the work of a sc**bag to make lewd comments about an opponents mother etc... and I have played the game

I didn't say most players did it but nearly every team in Ireland has a player who slabbers. And really? The mother shit is as old as the hills, does it actually upset people?

I bet over on the Dublin page they aren't slagging off their own players for mouthing! In fact I think you could probably trawl quite a few fans pages on forums of a range of sports before you come across a bunch of supporters who do so much hand wringing about the level of sledging their team do!

longballin

Quote from: BennyHarp on December 06, 2016, 10:18:01 PM

I didn't say most players did it but nearly every team in Ireland has a player who slabbers. And really? The mother shit is as old as the hills, does it actually upset people?

I bet over on the Dublin page they aren't slagging off their own players for mouthing! In fact I think you could probably trawl quite a few fans pages on forums of a range of sports before you come across a bunch of supporters who do so much hand wringing about the level of sledging their team do!

i suppose it depends on how much respect you have for your mother

BennyHarp

Quote from: longballin on December 06, 2016, 10:35:26 PM

i suppose it depends on how respect you have for your mother

Or how much respect you have for the bullshit people say to you on the football pitch, safe in the knowledge that that guy from the opposite end of the county doesn't know your mother and is just trying to wind you up.

tothetop03

Quote from: BennyHarp on December 06, 2016, 10:41:24 PM

Or how much respect you have for the bullshit people say to you on the football pitch, safe in the knowledge that that guy from the opposite end of the county doesn't know your mother and is just trying to wind you up.

I dont care about any other sport, Gaa is my games does not seem to happen in Hurling, it is a road football has went over time and i hate it full stop dont care who does is it,it is completely wrong in my opinion....we are supposed to different than every other sport....all down to a bit of manners!!! Bring back the day when you could put manners in a man on the filed that needed it!!!

BennyHarp

Quote from: tothetop03 on December 07, 2016, 07:00:09 AM

I dont care about any other sport, Gaa is my games does not seem to happen in Hurling, it is a road football has went over time and i hate it full stop dont care who does is it,it is completely wrong in my opinion....we are supposed to different than every other sport....all down to a bit of manners!!! Bring back the day when you could put manners in a man on the filed that needed it!!!

Yep, break someone's jaw! Much better!

Teams will have guys who are happy to throw their fists around and they will also have people who are happy to give a bit of verbal abuse. If you prefer the punching then that's fine. A mate of mine got his two front teeth knocked out when a guy punched him from behind during a game when he was around 21. (He wasn't the type of guy to give verbals by the way and didn't deserve the slap) He's in his 40s now and still faces regular dental bills of up to £1000 to sort his teeth out. I'd be fairly confident that he'd have preferred that guy to call him a name or make a silly mother jibe at him instead.

tothetop03

Quote from: BennyHarp on December 07, 2016, 07:05:07 AM

Teams will have guys who are happy to throw their fists around and they will also have people who are happy to give a bit of verbal abuse. If you prefer the punching then that's fine. A mate of mine got his two front teeth knocked out when a guy punched him from behind during a game when he was around 21. (He wasn't the type of guy to give verbals by the way and didn't deserve the slap) He's in his 40s now and still faces regular dental bills of up to £1000 to sort his teeth out. I'd be fairly confident that he'd have preferred that guy to call him a name or make a silly mother jibe at him instead.

Hitting a man cold is different than slapping a man that needs it for slabbering...maybe i am old school and the modern way i have to accept, i played senior football for my club for 15 years covering 70's 80's and early 90's and slabbering on the field was very little to zero maybe twice in that whole time did i hear of anything and it was swiftly dealt with..maybe society in general had more respect in them days....

BennyHarp

Quote from: tothetop03 on December 07, 2016, 07:42:47 AM

Hitting a man cold is different than slapping a man that needs it for slabbering...maybe i am old school and the modern way i have to accept, i played senior football for my club for 15 years covering 70's 80's and early 90's and slabbering on the field was very little to zero maybe twice in that whole time did i hear of anything and it was swiftly dealt with..maybe society in general had more respect in them days....

I know what you mean - and I get what you are saying but in the 90s there where plenty of lads that I came across who were more than happy to tell you they would break your legs if you went near the ball etc. The specifics of the verbals may have changed but they were still there. There's a bit of rose tinted glasses when looking back and I find it hard to believe you only experienced any sort of verbals about twice in your career. Yes they may not have mentioned your mum...but verbal intimidation definitely did exist.

I would pose a question to you - its the mid 2000s, you are managing Tyrone, would you drop Ricey after he kept a star forward quiet but had indulged in a bit of verbals to achieve it? It was a big part of his game and he was unlikely to change. Would your principles of fair play mean that you wouldn't pick your best 15?

tothetop03

Quote from: BennyHarp on December 07, 2016, 07:58:51 AM

I know what you mean - and I get what you are saying but in the 90s there where plenty of lads that I came across who were more than happy to tell you they would break your legs if you went near the ball etc. The specifics of the verbals may have changed but they were still there. There's a bit of rose tinted glasses when looking back and I find it hard to believe you only experienced any sort of verbals about twice in your career. Yes they may not have mentioned your mum...but verbal intimidation definitely did exist.

I would pose a question to you - its the mid 2000s, you are managing Tyrone, would you drop Ricey after he kept a star forward quiet but had indulged in a bit of verbals to achieve it? It was a big part of his game and he was unlikely to change. Would your principles of fair play mean that you wouldn't pick your best 15?

I have never managed and have every sympathy for any manager trying to deal with type of stuff.... i would no complaints if that was the reason why any player was not played..... we are the same organisation that appealed his suspension when he could have broke a mans neck in front of millions of viewers and 80 odd thousand supporters..... its all wrong!!

vallankumous

Eh? the difference is not in the acts on the field in hurling it's the punditry, web forum and the bullshit off the field that's the difference.

Perhaps the fact that they wear helmets makes you believe this crap. Hurlers are often in each others faces. I'm not having a go at hurlers, i just think this debate has done beyond stupid. I don't understand the need for people to believe this crap.

longballin

Some of the stuff said, lads must be sick in the mind to come up with it, scum comments more suited to terraces of english soccer

Up The Middle

Quote from: tothetop03 on December 07, 2016, 08:49:39 AM

I have never managed and have every sympathy for any manager trying to deal with type of stuff.... i would no complaints if that was the reason why any player was not played..... we are the same organisation that appealed his suspension when he could have broke a mans neck in front of millions of viewers and 80 odd thousand supporters..... its all wrong!!

Really?????????? :-X :-X :-X :-X
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

tothetop03

Quote from: Up The Middle on December 07, 2016, 04:47:24 PM
Quote from: tothetop03 on December 07, 2016, 08:49:39 AM

Really?????????? :-X :-X :-X :-X

i might start shortly....