Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

laoislad

Just finished watching LadyBird. There's an hour and a half of my life I'll never get back. Load of shite.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

SHEEDY

Binged out on 3 oscar nominated films this weekend, 3 billboards I thought was excellent 8.5/10
Get out  7.5/10
Ladybird with saoirse ronan giving a real star performance 7.5/10

All 3 are worth a watch.
nil satis nisi optimum

Tony Baloney

Haven't seen Lady Bird but would concur on the other 2 scores.

Last Man

'Pride' a film on Netflix's about Gay men and lesbian support for the striking miners in 84. Decent wee film for a winters afternoon.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Syferus on March 03, 2018, 01:39:56 AM
Lady Bird is such a well-made movie, the writing, the directing and the performances. It has young people talking and emoting like young people, which is rare for a coming-of-age film, but just about every character feels like a real person with human reactions rather than simply walking plot devices. It took a well-worn story and made it feel vibrant by simply executing its vision so well. And it's the director/writer's debut film, which really marks her out as someone to watch for in the future.

Saoirse Ronan has became an incredible actress and she's always represented her country and her people brilliantly. I hope she wins the Oscar this weekend.

I agree. Great film.

mrdeeds

Watched Wonder Woman last night. Brilliant.

nrico2006

Quote from: laoislad on March 03, 2018, 10:18:02 PM
Just finished watching LadyBird. There's an hour and a half of my life I'll never get back. Load of shite.

Looks shit. Tempted to watch the shape of water but could also be a waste of time.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

trileacman

Anyone else hate superhero films to the point where you refuse to watch even the well received ones?

Or is that just me?
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

themac_23

Quote from: trileacman on March 05, 2018, 01:51:46 AM
Anyone else hate superhero films to the point where you refuse to watch even the well received ones?

Or is that just me?

i actually quite like superhero movies, woman HATES them and with the cub only coming one tv time is at a premium so theres a lot i haven't seen. She's back to work though and works shifts so might actually try watch a few, anyone got the chronological order i should watch the Marvel ones?

JimStynes

I don't usually like Superhero movies or anything at all that isn't really real life type stuff. I can't get into Game of Throne because of this reason. As soon as I see a dragon or something in a show I'm usually done with it. Some exceptions would be the likes of Batman: The Dark Knight.

Off work at the minute and watching 80s and 90s movies. So much better than the stuff from this past 10 years.

nrico2006

Quote from: JimStynes on March 05, 2018, 11:32:37 AM
I don't usually like Superhero movies or anything at all that isn't really real life type stuff. I can't get into Game of Throne because of this reason. As soon as I see a dragon or something in a show I'm usually done with it. Some exceptions would be the likes of Batman: The Dark Knight.

Off work at the minute and watching 80s and 90s movies. So much better than the stuff from this past 10 years.

I went through a lot of John Carpenter films recently, then randomly onto Miles Teller ones and for some reason the past few days I watched a load of supposedly good comedies (not normally into stupid comedies) such as Tropic Thunder, This Is The End, Pineapple Express and Scott Pilgrim Saves The World.  They were all pretty dung.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Syferus

Quote from: JimStynes on March 05, 2018, 11:32:37 AM

The quantity of genuinely good film-making has steadily improved in the last twenty years.

And anyone who doesn't see the genuine brilliance and craft in Ed Wright comedies is missing out on one of the most talented comedy directors of all-time, nrico.

JimStynes

This past while it seems like TV shows are more popular than sitting down to watch a movie.

The Iceman

Went to see Black Panther - thought the special effects were great, the overall depiction of Waconda, the Black Panther, how close it stayed to the comics with the various animal tribes etc... all great.
I was a little troubled by some of the messaging coming from the orphaned prince. Oppression no more, rise up, fight back....our time.... I would be worried about how that was perceived by people open to it..... thankfully the Black Panther chose a different path of peace and not to become what his people hated.  Still troubled leaving the cinema.

Overall great addition to the franchise
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Hound

Quote from: bennydorano on February 23, 2018, 11:14:54 PM
3 Billboards is some movie, excellent stuff.
+1

...would have loved to see the next half hour of it though!