Joe Brolly

Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thewobbler

I'd sooner suffer a day of Brolly than an hour of Cantwell

Main Street

Quote from: yellowcard on January 28, 2019, 07:02:11 PM
Joanne Cantrell's interviewing style is a cross between Pat Spillane (trying to impose his own opinion) and Ryan Tubridy (asking questions then almost immediately interrupting).

I think that those who praise her mostly are doing so out of an anti Brolly agenda rather than because of her own interviewing style. I think she should be given a chance but she does need to talk a bit less and give the pundits a bit more of a chance to develop points. It was as though she had a pre rehearsed script that she was determined wouldn't be deviated from.
That's nonsense,  "an anti Brolly agenda", what an imaginative retort ::) Some people have standards and when the bullshít barometer has been hit by a sledgehammer it is pleasing when the bulshítter has been taken to task.  She is being lauded for one thing, for picking Brolly out for spouting absolute nonsense, who hadn't the hadn't the grace to accept it and instead dug a deeper hole trying to defend his nonsense and then tried to intimidate her.
Afair that was her only intervention.

JoG2

Fuzzman

Watched it last night and previously I was delighted when I heard she took him to task as I do think Joe gets away with murder but I thought she went after him far too aggressively and you could see Joe was waiting on it (or else it was staged).
I much prefer Cantwell to Lyster who was just a yes man in my eyes and was never able to rein Joe in time and time again but you can see Cantwell right away has an agenda to keep him tight to the question asked.
She even said to Gooch yes but you didn't answer the question did you Colm.

I hope she chills a bit and let them talk a bit off the cuff but also glad Brolly isn't allowed to attack players or teams without putting up good arguments. I'd say Mayo and O'Shea are already annoyed with him.

BennyCake

I felt Cooper couldn't get into his flow because he was always checking the rearview mirror expecting to be hijacked by the T-1000. Brolly constantly puts off other analysts in this way, but throws the hand up in the face of others, if it happens to him. A mental bully and an ignorant shite.

Main Street

Quote from: BennyCake on January 29, 2019, 05:24:31 PM
I felt Cooper couldn't get into his flow because he was always checking the rearview mirror expecting to be hijacked by the T-1000. Brolly constantly puts off other analysts in this way, but throws the hand up in the face of others, if it happens to him. A mental bully and an ignorant shite.
If Brolly could just focus on analysis and wasn't afflicted by a complex myriad of personality disorders, he could have been a contender for being one of the best analysts out there.
But what can one say about the quality of a pundit who has already put himself as the savior, just him alone on a one man platform of saving the gaa with just one rule change (a rule change idea he actually stole of someone else), could spout the purpose of the offensive mark rule change was to favor the big man on the edge of the square  and then defend his opinion saying that this was the stated  intention of the  GAA at the implementation.

Kidder81

BennyCake

Brolly for the most part behaved himself last night. Maybe Joanne's no nonsense approach with him the last night has set the tone.

moysider

Quote from: BennyCake on February 11, 2019, 10:07:33 PM
Brolly for the most part behaved himself last night. Maybe Joanne's no nonsense approach with him the last night has set the tone.

Hmmm. He had a right go at Ger Cafferkey (mom according to Aaron Kernan I think it was on eir) and Aidan O Shea. O Shea had a huge game. Talking 8-9/10. But he had to wade in to justify his previous critique of these players.
This guy is all about values and decency but it does not add up for me. He's giving lads a kicking there whether he knows it or not. That's the thing for me with Brolly. There is something going on there that he  ...... can't control?

highorlow

Joe wants AOS in full forward. Hopefully after the Dublin game we can start trying him in there again. I'm with Joe on this one.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

MayoBuck

Quote from: highorlow on February 12, 2019, 12:21:28 AM
Joe wants AOS in full forward. Hopefully after the Dublin game we can start trying him in there again. I'm with Joe on this one.

He's been tried there umpteen times, even on occasion during the league this year. Apart from the couple of moments in 2015 it never works. AOS does all his best work around the middle third of the field. He doesn't have the movement to play FF compared to Andy or other natural inside forwards.

We should be trying to develop new forwards like Reape, Diskin and others for the rest of the league.

moysider

It's not about that imo. It's about laying into amateurs. One that has gone through a very tough recovery to even play at that level again and both that had fine games. AOS has played parts of recent games in at full last 2 games anyway and little has stuck. Andy on the other hand has made the smart moves and got marks and assists being the main target inside.
On a positive note Aidan is in best shape I've seen him in. But me being me, I wonder why it took it so long.

Blowitupref

His best position is full forward according to Brolly because he scored a few goals against Sligo who were woeful in defence for the Connacht final? The strengths of Horan's team will be middle 8 dominance and AOS will play a big part in that.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

moysider

Quote from: Blowitupref on February 12, 2019, 12:42:14 AM

His best position is full forward according to Brolly because he scored a few goals against Sligo who were woeful in defence for the Connacht final? The strengths of Horan's team will be middle 8 dominance and AOS will play a big part in that.

Exactly.

BennyHarp

Quote from: Blowitupref on February 12, 2019, 12:42:14 AM

Sure didn't they bring in that offensive mark so teams could play a big man on the edge of the square?
That was never a square ball!!