Is Pat McEnaney overrated??

Started by done and dusted, August 30, 2010, 02:38:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnpower

Quote from: cogito on September 01, 2010, 08:50:39 PM
This topic is stupid.

If Kieran Donaghy has one bad game is he over-rated? Give me a break.. I mean who would bother their whole being a ref in this day and age. Ref's are scrutinised more than ever, yet still have the same help they had 20 years ago - the human eye.

How many mistakes do you think happened 20 years ago and went unnoticed because of the lack of action replay's. I mean until we adapt and come up with a tecnology system that suits our game we are going to have to accept mistakes will be made - just like they have always been.

I was at the game myself on Sunday. And yeah, when he scored it I thought to myself 'that might have been a square ball' but I wasn't 100% sure. McEnaney clearly wasn't fully decided, because he went into the umpire who had already put up the flag, so how can you disallow a goal if you are not 100% sure he was in the square.

Do we expect ref's to give penalties unless they are 100% sure there is a trip?

While you were at the match did you have some one at both goals and another 2 buddies on the sideline linked up to you who were closer to the various incidents ? Any way I think over the years he has been one of the best . I am wondering is all the Tv scrutiny and the messing around with the rules making the refs job harder . This square ball decission is a bad call by the umpires and the point at the hill end just proves that having an intercounty ref does not makle for better decission making

andoireabu

personally i think pat is the best ref in the country ( closely followed by coldrick) but after these two where do we go?

there have been matches that i have watched the pat was refereeing that i didn't even know he was there and to me that is the sign of a good ref.  the best men get the high profile game all the time and he has had the most.

some have said he shouldn't have been in a game with an ulster team but to me this is nonsense as he has never favoured any team in my opinion  id be happy if he refereed a match between monaghan and derry.

as for the decisions he missed. the point that was given wide was for the umpire not pat.  the square ball was for the umpire not pat (although it was bread and butter stuff) and for the penalty decision near the end...for a man standing near the 21 to see a touch on the ground through a group of men standing around..then i think we are starting to ask too much of a ref.  if giving a decision on what he thinks might have happened is better than not giving a decision on what might not have happened then i think we are going in the wrong direction.  if technology is the right answer then so be it but i think that might take away from part of our games.  the was it/wasn't it part that has been around for years. 
Private Cowboy: Don't shit me, man!
Private Joker: I wouldn't shit you. You're my favorite turd!

Tyrones own

Quote from: andoireabu on September 04, 2010, 03:29:03 AM
personally i think pat is the best ref in the country ( closely followed by coldrick) but after these two where do we go?

there have been matches that i have watched the pat was refereeing that i didn't even know he was there and to me that is the sign of a good ref.  the best men get the high profile game all the time and he has had the most.

some have said he shouldn't have been in a game with an ulster team but to me this is nonsense as he has never favoured any team in my opinion  id be happy if he refereed a match between monaghan and derry.

as for the decisions he missed. the point that was given wide was for the umpire not pat.  the square ball was for the umpire not pat (although it was bread and butter stuff) and for the penalty decision near the end...for a man standing near the 21 to see a touch on the ground through a group of men standing around..then i think we are starting to ask too much of a ref.  if giving a decision on what he thinks might have happened is better than not giving a decision on what might not have happened then i think we are going in the wrong direction.  if technology is the right answer then so be it but i think that might take away from part of our games.  the was it/wasn't it part that has been around for years.
Brian Crowe isn't a bad ref IMO :-\
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

skeog

brian crowe is over 50
  yrs old and this is why he is not reffing deemed to be to old by hierarchy in croke park