Football qualifier route 2019

Started by Blowitupref, May 22, 2019, 01:45:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: meathie on July 01, 2019, 09:39:27 AM
except for the little matter of Dublin clarshack

Yeah but Clarshack's point is if Tyrone beat Cavan, Roscommon and say Cork the Dublin game is irrelevant.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

clarshack

Quote from: meathie on July 01, 2019, 09:39:27 AM
except for the little matter of Dublin clarshack

Dublin going to beat everyone in the group anyway so all that matters is 2nd place.

macdanger2

Quote from: Ball Hopper on July 01, 2019, 08:44:32 AM
Round 4 draw:

Cork v Laois

Meath v Clare

Cavan v Tyrone

Galway v Mayo

Possible venues:

Cork v Laois & Meath v Clare - double header in semple maybe? Or Nowlan Park? Chances are it'll be a small enough crowd even with 4 teams involved

Cavan v Tyrone - Clones or Enniskillen

Mayo v Galway - Hyde

macdanger2

Will Mayo v Galway be played as a double header with the ladies replay? Although I think that would mean Galway ladies giving up home advantage for a neutral venue

Redhand Santa

I don't know who has the pick of games but sky could like a double header for their two. Would Roscommon be deemed to small to host Meath Clare followed by Galway Mayo if sky went for those games? Couldn't see the first game attracting a huge crowd anyway.

LilySavage

Likely 2 dead rubbs last round in Pool A again. Dubs v Tyrone be a glorified challenge match. The gaa need to hold fire on announcing the fixtures beforehand.

Captain Obvious

The likely super 8 groups after that round 4 draw.

Donegal
Kerry
Mayo
Meath

Dublin
Tyrone
Roscommon
Cork

Likely All Ireland semi finals

Donegal v Tyrone
Mayo v Dublin

imtommygunn

I have a sneaky feeling Laois might beat cork.

Also I think Clare will give Meath their fill of it.

meathie

Quote from: macdanger2 on July 01, 2019, 09:52:14 AM
Round 4 draw:

Cork v Laois

Meath v Clare

Cavan v Tyrone

Galway v Mayo

Possible venues:

Cork v Laois & Meath v Clare - double header in semple maybe? Or Nowlan Park? Chances are it'll be a small enough crowd even with 4 teams involved

Mayo v Galway - Hyde

I would imagine Sky will want Gal/Mayo and Tyrone/Cavan so those games probably at 5 and 7 on saturday and Cork/laois on sunday afternoon for RTE maybe. And Meath/Clare wherever fits in the rest!

JP

That is a frustrating draw, for the second week in a row the 4 strongest teams play against each other.

The winners of Cork/Laois and Meath/Clare are going to get some beatings in the quarter finals.

Cork could get through to the last 8 by beating Limerick (Div 4) & Laois (Div 3). For Armagh to make the super 8's they would have had to beat 3 Division 1 teams in a row (Monaghan, Mayo & Galway).

Time to consider seedings in the backdoor?

Itchy

The idea of the super 8s is to get the best 8 teams in there. The reality is, due to the lob sided nature of the provinces and randomness of the draws you have a scenario now where some very average teams like Meath and Clare coukd be in the Super 8s. It will have to be looked at again.

Example Cavan will have to beat Monaghan, Armagh and Tyrone to get to it. Clare for example beat Waterford (by a point), Leitrim, Westmeath and Meath.

imtommygunn

Redhand Santa

Quote from: meathie on July 01, 2019, 10:07:34 AM
Quote from: macdanger2 on July 01, 2019, 09:52:14 AM
Round 4 draw:

Cork v Laois

Meath v Clare

Cavan v Tyrone

Galway v Mayo

Possible venues:

Mayo v Galway - Hyde

I would imagine Sky will want Gal/Mayo and Tyrone/Cavan so those games probably at 5 and 7 on saturday and Cork/laois on sunday afternoon for RTE maybe. And Meath/Clare wherever fits in the rest!

Do sky have first pick on their two games and rte third pick?

macdanger2

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 01, 2019, 10:07:12 AM
I have a sneaky feeling Laois might beat cork.

Also I think Clare will give Meath their fill of it.

Was thinking the same actually, 8/1 double

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Itchy on July 01, 2019, 10:10:00 AM
The idea of the super 8s is to get the best 8 teams in there. The reality is, due to the lob sided nature of the provinces and randomness of the draws you have a scenario now where some very average teams like Meath and Clare coukd be in the Super 8s. It will have to be looked at again.

Example Cavan will have to beat Monaghan, Armagh and Tyrone to get to it. Clare for example beat Waterford (by a point), Leitrim, Westmeath and Meath.

Says who? the championship is still somewhat of a cup competition (luck of the draw and all that) and the window of opportunity for a underdog story should not be closed shut.  My own view however is that groups for the last 8 is daft.