Joe Dooley new Offaly manager

Started by turk, October 10, 2007, 12:11:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turk

I fully endorse this appointment and wish Joe every success in the role.

up Offaly

maxpower

What happens next????

AZOffaly

Hmmmm. Intersting. A great hurler and a genuine legend in Offaly, he would surely have picked up quite a bit of useful knowledge with all the managers he played under, both good and bad. Hopefully he can decipher which is which.

It still smacks of a cheap way out (again) by our county board. Now I am not, and never have been, and advocate of paying money for managers, outside proper expenses, but surely someone with a bit more experience and track record could have been enticed to try resurrect Offaly. A Dinny Cahill, Anthony Daly type.

Anyway, I wish him nothing but the best of luck, and hopefully he will give us a quarter of the great days we had following him as a player.

Bord na Mona man

Best of luck to Joe.
Maybe he can coax a bit more out of some players who haven't developed or improved in recent times.
Limerick have shown that players don't have to be gifted with ability to improve, just like Clare did in the 90s.

Offaly have been taking the field like lambs for too long now.
This year for the first half against Kilkenny was the first time in 4 years that there looked to be a grit about Offaly.
Whether "Gentleman Joe" can inspire them to better things remains to be seen.

turk

I am delighted with the appointment. Here's hoping that the other three factors in success also work with Joe to provide this - the board, the players and the fans

Gnevin

Question for the Offaly lads , is the talent in Offaly anymore?
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

AZOffaly

Not as much as there used to be, but there's a hell of a lot more talent than the results would indicate. I think our problem stems from years of 'wristy' hurlers, but the thing is those lads fought like lions for the ball, and were sticky as feck at the back so that they could earn the right to play the skillful stuff. Our lads now think being wristy, and having the touches, which they do, are enough.

As BnMman says it's time for more fight and less flicks. You have to win your battles first. Kilkenny are masters at this, and Offaly used to be.

timmykelleher

ANother question for the Offaly boys. What coaching has Joe done?
Corcaigh - McGrath cup champions - 2009

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: timmykelleher on October 11, 2007, 07:35:07 PM
ANother question for the Offaly boys. What coaching has Joe done?
Not much. He has coached Tullamore and Seir Kieran in Offaly.
He was also with Toomevara for a while, but was dispensed with.

theskull1

Good luck to Joe. Would love to see the biffos competitive again. Seems too nice a fellow to be a successful manager though
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

heurebag

doesnt suprise me, was talkin to johnny n he seems to have a few bright ideas

AZOffaly

Johnny might, but Joe is a different fella, i.e. his brother. Or were you talking to him too?  ::)

fearglasmor

Maybe it's heresy to even think this.............  but I can't help drawing comparisons between Joe Dooley and Stephen Staunton. Two great servants to the cause as players, genuine sound men and lacking in experience in the job they've been handed.  I hope things turn out differently.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think Andy Gallagher was manager and brought in Dermott Healy to bring about th transformation in Offaly hurling in the late 70's early 80's. Maybe a similar route is required.

orangeman

Give him a chance - he's not like Staunton - getting a fortune for the job - all Joe will get is bad manners if he loses !

tayto

Does he have any management experience at all?

Wish him the best of luck anyways, i know we [dublin] are trying to surpas offaly in the hurling world but leinster needs competitive counties so i hope he can turn them around.