Does the GAA's amateur status work against working class players?

Started by Eamonnca1, October 12, 2017, 05:56:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T Fearon

In terms of the income bracket skilled tradesmen are not working class.You don't see factory workers or fork lift truck drivers on County teams anymore

thewobbler

Quote from: T Fearon on October 16, 2017, 04:12:37 PM
In terms of the income bracket skilled tradesmen are not working class.You don't see factory workers or fork lift truck drivers on County teams anymore

Tony, maybe, just maybe this is because so few Irish people do those jobs anymore.

Over the Bar

Quote from: thewobbler on October 16, 2017, 04:16:55 PM

Tony, maybe, just maybe this is because so few Irish people do those jobs anymore.

Or nowadays they are known as technicians! ;)

From the Bunker

Players Occupation has not been listed in Match Programmes for years now!

The GAA have realised that many inter-county players don't have real Jobs anymore or are eternal students.

It's another way of sweeping the reality of the situation (especially in Dublin) under the Carpet from the common supporter.

bennydorano

Quote from: Over the Bar on October 17, 2017, 09:27:17 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on October 16, 2017, 04:16:55 PM

Or nowadays they are known as technicians! ;)
Plenty of Irish people still work those factory jobs.  A forklift licence is a quick training course that gets an unskilled person a quick upgrade in wages.

thejuice

I don't see it stack up that amateurism works against working class people exclusively or mostly. It works against anyone with any serious commitments including family. In my own profession which makes huge demands on your time including working overtime often, expects you to travel across the country, I simply couldn't play at county level and I'm probably in a lower middle-class wage bracket. Plus family commitments it's impossible.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

thejuice

Yeah lack of talent wouldn't help my case either but I did end up on the warwickshire bench once for one game as there was a free seat on the bus.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM