Galway v Antrim SHC Qualifiier

Started by Saffron exile, July 11, 2007, 12:43:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saffron exile

What's the chances of Antrim knocking over Galway this Saturday in Pearse Stadium. Galway seem to be lacking in cohesion at the moment, however Antrim have lost some of their more accomplished and experienced players over the past few weeks due to weddings, retirements, injuries, etc. Any forecasts? Many supporters heading down over this festive season?

FTJC

aontroim

Quote from: FTJC on July 11, 2007, 03:24:49 PM
Lost players due to weddings???????

Paddy Richmond hasn't featured in the Qualifiers as he got married last Saturday and is now on honeymoon - big loss for Antrim in the full forward berth - not the most mobile but great touch and scoring ability.

imtommygunn

Big test of where Antrim are really at. Galway obviously really need the win so they need to be fired up and there will be no room for complacency especially since we beat them last year in the league.

It appears all is not well in Galway hurling and Ger maybe isn't quite the saviour some hoped he might be but, unfortunately, I would still expect them to have too much, unfortunately way too much, for Antrim.

If we get a good start and rattle them early you never know though as I would say confidence is down.

Fear ón Srath Bán

In a way, a defeat for Galway here might be just what's needed for them to get their act together (will only get better for them when it gets worse), and it would be great, though difficult, to see the Saffrons take something from this game.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Tony Baloney

If Galway had beaten Clare then Antim might have run them to 5 or 6 points but with Galway's backs against the wall I'd say they'll run out fairly easy winners (8 points +).

Balboa

Terrys All Sorts are Evens (+11 pts), not sure if they will get within 11.

Lecale2

Balboa

Quote from: Lecale2 on July 12, 2007, 09:49:27 AM
What's the latest on MacIntosh?

He got a txt on tue night telling him he would not be considered for the match against Galway but would be considered for the panel AFTER the Galway match, now i would love to see us beating Galway but there is very little chance thus no more matches after the Galway match.

neilthemac

anyone hear the story about John Lee and Jackie Tyrell up in Croke Park the other day talking about their upcoming quarter final?

they ain't even thinking about the Antrim game!

bottlethrower7

Quote from: neilthemac on July 12, 2007, 03:24:14 PM
anyone hear the story about John Lee and Jackie Tyrell up in Croke Park the other day talking about their upcoming quarter final?

they ain't even thinking about the Antrim game!

why would Jackie Tyrell be up in Croke Park? Hes not Kilkenny captain anymore.

Don

Tyrell did the pre match stuff for the leinster final also. The King must of been held up somewhere

FTJC

Galway Team. They might start the way they're named this time...

1, Colm Callanan, Kinvara

2, Greg Kennedy, Loughrea

3, Ger Mahon, Kinvara

4, Fergal Moore, Turloughmore

5, Derek Hardiman, Mullagh

6, John Lee, Liam Mellows

7, David Tierney, Kilnadeema/Leitrim

8, David Collins (C), Liam Mellows

9, Damien Hayes, Portumna

10, Alan Kerins, Clarinbridge

11, Mark Kerins, Clarinbridge

12, Iarla Tannian, Ardrahan

13, Niall Healy, Craughwell

14, Kevin Broderick, Tynagh Abbey Duniry

15, Kerril Wade, Sarsfields

slow corner back

A strong looking team but that is only to be expected. Cloonan pays the price for last week?

Saffron exile

Was at the game. very disappointing after an excellent start 1-04 to 0-1 after 20 mins. Then after Galway's goal  to make it 1-4 to 1-3 a schmozzle started around the the middle of the field. Ref didn't deal with it properly it boiled over and Pinty exchanged pleasanteries with Ger mahon (I think). Its the age old no-no, never get involved in a fight when you're winning. Still was a reasonable game until half-time. About five mins in Galway took over. Don't like to criticise management but positional changes had to be made earlier in the second half against an admittedly stiff breeze. The tactic of playing 4 forwards with Shields playing in the backs should have been abandonned when we lost a man. Galway just moved up a player on Shields and had 7 forwards. Kerrill wade (man of match in my head), Niall Healy,Kevin Broderick tore the full-back line asunder.
couldn't face the last ten mins and had to leave early for the first time ever.