Antrim v Liex, Laois, Laoghis, Queen's County

Started by Guillem2, July 05, 2007, 08:18:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

slow corner back

I think this game will be very close, two years ago when we were relegated we played laois three times with Laois winning two narrowly and one draw. I expect it to be just as close this time. Are Antrim better than two years ago? Debatable in terms of the players available but at least there seems some heart in this Antrim team which was badly missing in Dinnys last term. Last year we beat Laois well in the league but then again they had Dinny in charge and he never cared obout the league. Its hard to know what to make of either team, moral victories when you loose at home by 9 or 12 point????
Heres hoping Antrim can edge it and that aliens kidnap James young as he is the one top class player between the two sides.

clootfromthe21

Quote from: johnneycool on July 05, 2007, 03:24:31 PM
Why are Antrim hurlers called 'the Glensmen' when a good few of the team are from the greater belfast area (or the Heron family home)?

Are Antrim footballers called the McCooeys or the frankies?

I feckin hate it when the Down hurlers are called the Ardmen, yet the footballers are called the mournemen, fuckin lazy journalists.

I think that Antrim are known as the "Glensmen" (or more recently "the Saffrons") not strictly because of geography, but more to fulfil that essential GAA press writer's requirement that every county have a nickname. As such, even the Belfasties qualify as being "Glensmen".

That said, as some one else has pointed out, the number of clubs actually based in "official" glens is relatively small - Ballycastle (Glentaise), Cushendun (Glendun), Glenarrife and Glenarm.  Although I'm sure one of the Cushendall boys will correct me, I'm not sure whether they are actually located in one of the nine "official" glens. Neither Glenravel (Glenravel glen, don't you know) or Armoy (imaginatively, Armoy glen) are "official" glens, although i suppose they are entitled to be described as glensmen.

As for the footballers being known as the McCooeys or the frankies, well McCooey or "wah-wah" is a general North Antrim term of abuse for an inhabitant of the fair city of Belfast. Never heard either term being used as a nickname for the footballers, although the south west boys often seem to think the football team is entirely made up of said McCooeys.

The Real Laoislad

Quotealiens kidnap James young as he is the one top class player between the two sides.

Agreed .Probably would get on any county team in Ireland,including Kilkenny and Cork
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Gnevin

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on July 05, 2007, 07:06:08 PM
I don't know what to expect from this Laois team,We were all very optomistic in the midlands when we heard about their new training routine which started last october,Seemingly they were at it six nights a week up until march..
But then came defeats against Wicklow and a narrow win over Armagh i think?
Went into the Offaly game half hoping half expecting a shock only to be knocked on our arses again,Then after a 12 point hammering against Galway everyone is goin on about how good Laois were to which i say Bolix...If they were anygood they wouldn't have been beaten by 12 points.
Here in my opinion is whats wrong with Laois,patting them on the back after been beaten by 12 points isn't the way to do it,they should be getting a bollocking...
But im afraid no matter how much training they do or how many bollockings they get the main thing in Laois is they just don't have the players and thats the simple fact of the matter
I think a season in the Christy Ring cup wouldn't do them any harm at all,at least they be winning matches(One would hope) instead of moral victories or in other words 12point hammerings against Galway and possibley Antrim this weekend
Laois from what i've seen just don't have the basic skills any more , and no amount of training or bollockings will change that
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

slow corner back

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on July 06, 2007, 01:16:27 AM
Quotealiens kidnap James young as he is the one top class player between the two sides.

Agreed .Probably would get on any county team in Ireland,including Kilkenny and Cork

Two years ago he was the reason we were relegated to the christy ring. The guy was knocking over frees from 100yds!!! Agree completely that he could play for Cork or the Cats.

An Laoch

Were the game at a neutral venue I'd narrowly favour Antrim. I think they've got a little momentum behind them at the moment and have earned a little respect for themselves. With home advantage - and it really is a factor when you compare Antrim's form home & away - I think they will win this impressively.

They really put it up to Clare and were within touching distance till the last 15 mins or so, Laois on the other hand have had a right thumping from Offaly while Galway just seemed to huff and puff against them

Balboa

Tosh & young Mc Naughton replaced by Karl Stewart & Colm Duffin  ??? tomorrow in Antrim team.

aontroim

Quote from: Balboa on July 06, 2007, 08:46:23 PM
Tosh & young Mc Naughton replaced by Karl Stewart & Colm Duffin  ??? tomorrow in Antrim team.

Stewart did ok, Duffin couldnt get into it and Tosh replaced him and got a few points.  McFall has taken the huff and walked off the panel as far as we could judge from the chat today.

Lucky that Laois got a man sent off otherwise it would have been a close one.

Baile an tuaigh

Quote from: aontroim on July 07, 2007, 05:51:45 PM
Quote from: Balboa on July 06, 2007, 08:46:23 PM

Stewart did ok, Duffin couldnt get into it and Tosh replaced him and got a few points.  McFall has taken the huff and walked off the panel as far as we could judge from the chat today.

Lucky that Laois got a man sent off otherwise it would have been a close one.

Personaly I don't blame Mc Fall. His ability to score from sideline cuts is a massive asset to Aontroim. Sambo Og was very poor against Clare. I would of had him off before half time. Hes just not ready for this level.

Tony Baloney

I predicted Tosh would be benched today but when you look at who replaced him you realise that there aren't many alternatives to him on the panel and that although he was pretty poor last time he's always worth a few points and a rattle of the onion-bag now and again. If everyone that had a bad day was dropped for the next game Antrim wouldn't field the same team for years on end!