Antrim v Liex, Laois, Laoghis, Queen's County

Started by Guillem2, July 05, 2007, 08:18:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guillem2

This is one Antrim have to win if they are to avoid a quick return to the Christy Ring Cup. Laois were poor against Offaly but much better against Galway. It's too close to call in my opinion but I'll keep my fingers crossed. It's obviously between us, Laios and Dublin for relegation and this game on Saturday will go a way towards deciding who drops down. There's no hope of either reaching the Q/Fs now.

Talking is an overrated way of communicating.

ONeill

A defeat here would be a massive blow to Sambo and his first-year Antrim side. I think it won't happen though. Antrim showed enough v Clare to suggest they're hanging onto the coat-tails of such sides.

Why is Antrim in Irish and Laois not in thon programme?

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

aontroim

Quote from: ONeill on July 05, 2007, 08:28:48 AM

Why is Antrim in Irish and Laois not in thon programme?

Laois is as it stands as Gaeilge - putting CLG in front changes it to Laoise as per their crest.

Balboa

Lads you will probably get more discussion on this on "Antrim Hurling" thread, most of them are creatures of habit and seem to stay on that thread

Onlooker

Just a slightly relevant point.  Laois is the only county spelt exactly the same in Irish or English or you could say it is the only county with no English translation of its name.

Guillem2

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Billys Boots

Why do birds suddenly appear, every time you are near?
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

The Real Laoislad

It's LEIX not LIEX,and you also left LAOISE out of the title
You'll Never Walk Alone.

johnneycool

Why are Antrim hurlers called 'the Glensmen' when a good few of the team are from the greater belfast area (or the Heron family home)?

Are Antrim footballers called the McCooeys or the frankies?

I feckin hate it when the Down hurlers are called the Ardmen, yet the footballers are called the mournemen, fuckin lazy journalists.

Guillem2

Quote from: johnneycool on July 05, 2007, 03:24:31 PM

I feckin hate it when the Down hurlers are called the Ardmen, yet the footballers are called the mournemen, fuckin lazy journalists.

Is that the 'ardmen or Ardsmen?

Tony Baloney

If you're getting really being pedantic very few of the Antrim team are "real" Glensmen as Loughgiel, Ballycastle or Dunloy don't really qualify and the Dall would be tenuously linked to the bottom of Glenballyeamon.
But yes I find it strange that they're called the Glensmen too. Journalists just like a nickname or a tag to place on people.

Gnevin

Quote from: johnneycool on July 05, 2007, 03:24:31 PM
Why are Antrim hurlers called 'the Glensmen' when a good few of the team are from the greater belfast area (or the Heron family home)?

Are Antrim footballers called the McCooeys or the frankies?

I could be worse you could be the wee men to the lilys  ;D
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

The Real Laoislad

I don't know what to expect from this Laois team,We were all very optomistic in the midlands when we heard about their new training routine which started last october,Seemingly they were at it six nights a week up until march..
But then came defeats against Wicklow and a narrow win over Armagh i think?
Went into the Offaly game half hoping half expecting a shock only to be knocked on our arses again,Then after a 12 point hammering against Galway everyone is goin on about how good Laois were to which i say Bolix...If they were anygood they wouldn't have been beaten by 12 points.
Here in my opinion is whats wrong with Laois,patting them on the back after been beaten by 12 points isn't the way to do it,they should be getting a bollocking...
But im afraid no matter how much training they do or how many bollockings they get the main thing in Laois is they just don't have the players and thats the simple fact of the matter
I think a season in the Christy Ring cup wouldn't do them any harm at all,at least they be winning matches(One would hope) instead of moral victories or in other words 12point hammerings against Galway and possibley Antrim this weekend
You'll Never Walk Alone.

The Real Laoislad

Laois boss Damien Fox has made no changes to his side ahead of the O'Moore County's Guinness All-Ireland SHC Qualifier clash with Antrim at Casement Park on Saturday.

Laois suffered a 14-point defeat at the hands of Galway in last Saturday's first-round qualifier and Fox has again named his strongest side for this must-win clash.

LAOIS (SH) - P Mullaney; C Fitzpatrick, C Healy, C Dunne; Joe Phelan, M Whelan, M McEvoy; J Fitzpatrick, S Dollard; J Brophy, J Young, JJ McHugh; T Fitzgerald, W Hyland, P Russell.

ANTRIM (SH v Laois) - R McGarry; A Graffin, K Kelly, S Delargy; M McCambridge, J Campbell, C Herron; K McKeegan, B Herron; P McGill, N McManus, M Herron; S McNaughton, J McIntosh, P Shiels.

You'll Never Walk Alone.