Munster Final: Waterford v Limerick

Started by Lecale2, July 02, 2007, 09:52:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lecale2

That's a new pairing for the Munster Final. It must be a while since they met in the final, I can't remember it. Have they ever met in a final before?

There was a lot of emotion around Limerick's win over Tipp but I reckon Tipperary are an average side. Over the 3 games Tipp actually looked better than Limerick. To come back from 10 points down the second day was great but they would have been dead and buried in the first half by a good team.

The Limerick defence is a weak link and the Waterford forwards will score goals against them. They'll score against any team in Ireland the way they are playing at the minute. I can't see anything other than a good win for Waterford (6-7 points) but Limerick are still in with a chance of a semi final place depending on the draw.

bottlethrower7

Quote from: Lecale2 on July 02, 2007, 09:52:58 AM
To come back from 10 points down the second day was great but they would have been dead and buried in the first half by a good team.

and by a fairer ref.

Limerick will put it up to Waterford physically but don't have the scoring power to overly-trouble them. The spine of Limerick's defense has proved very solid this year so far, but Waterford should be able to unlock it eventually, as they did against Cork. They'll keep swapping their 6 forwards until they find the right combination. In the Cork game this happened when they moved Seamus Prendergast out on Kevin Hartnett. They might not need as many changes on sunday.

Waterford should run out comfortable winners in the end, with a facile last 15 minutes or so which could prove little more than target practice for Waterford. Ultimately its not gonna tell us a whole lot about them though. They had serious troubles at the back against Cork and won't be tested enough in that area to know if those troubles are now eradicated or not.

wolfram74

That's a new pairing for the Munster Final. It must be a while since they met in the final, I can't remember it. Have they ever met in a final before?

There was a lot of emotion around Limerick's win over Tipp but I reckon Tipperary are an average side. Over the 3 games Tipp actually looked better than Limerick. To come back from 10 points down the second day was great but they would have been dead and buried in the first half by a good team.

The Limerick defence is a weak link and the Waterford forwards will score goals against them. They'll score against any team in Ireland the way they are playing at the minute. I can't see anything other than a good win for Waterford (6-7 points) but Limerick are still in with a chance of a semi final place depending on the draw.

1934 the last time the two teams met in the Munster Final.
  Tight at the beginning but I expect the Deise boys to pull away & win comfortably

cville

I think that Waterford will find it difficult to deal with Limerick's style - also they are impossible to put away... Me money's on the Treatymen.

johnneycool

Waterford hurling in general achilles heel has always been discipline and with Limericks in your face approach it'll be interesting to see how Eoin Kelly and Mullane cope. In fairness to Mullane he seems to have caught himself on a bit but I'd expect it to be hot and heavy with Limerick going all out for the Munster cup. I don't think the Munster cup is top of Waterfords priorities this year but it'll give them the easier run to the AI stages later so they'll not be lying down either.

I still think Waterford have all the aces and should win by 7 to 10 but they'll have to earn every single score the hard way. Limerick don't do giving in this year but lack reliable fire power to trouble Waterford enough.

Gnevin

Quote from: johnneycool on July 03, 2007, 09:59:44 AM
I still think Waterford have all the aces and should win by 7 to 10 but they'll have to earn every single score the hard way. Limerick don't do giving in this year but lack reliable fire power to trouble Waterford enough.
A year thats scored over 20 points in their last 3 games lacks reliable fire power. Limerick like the Dubs will win this if they don't go asleep
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

AZOffaly

No way GNevin. Limerick will be underdogs for this, and rightly so. Don't be fooled by decent displays against well matched opposition, who are also a good bit off the pace of potential All Ireland winners.

Waterford are on that sort of plane now, or getting there, and have more good hurlers, more experience and more firepower than Limerick. The only doubt in my mind is if Waterford will be as fired up for Sunday as Limerick will be. Waterford have bigger fish to fry this year in their own minds, whereas a munster title would be huge for Limerick.

I'm still going to go for Waterford by 6 points.

the ship

.they met in the 1933 and 1934 munster finals both won by limerick

youbetterbelieveit

Obviously I will be going for Limerick (been one of very few from the county on this board), Limerick will be underdogs for sure, however if any team can put it up to waterford, and they will run them very close.

But here's hoping! I have taken monday off just in case.

SuperDooperCooper

Has to be Waterford if they are seriously thinking about tackling Cork/Kilkenny for the All-Ireland later in the year.
Limerick & Tipp seemed to be a close game between two evenly matched teams but no one would give then a chance against Cork/Kilkenny.
Hurling needs a new final pairing and Waterford have the potential to do it but only if they beat Limerick well on Sunday.
Waterford by 6+.

tayto

I dont mind who wins, would bea great boost for limerick to win munster, but agree with superdooper, waterford would probably want to win if they're going to beat kilkenny or cork later in the year, which i dont think limerick can hope to. everyone complains about cork v kk but lastyears final had the biggest TV audience ever, and for the first time bigger then the football final so cork vs kk isnt all that unattractive for your average punter. I would love to see waterford do it.

the ship

is the real munster final not on till saturday week?

Punxsutawney Fergal

Waterford by 6 while playing at half pace!

SouthArmaghBandit

One of the biggest days in the GAA calendar and we have 12 posts on the Munster Final (13 counting this). Setting up a hurling section clearly hasn't been a huge success  :-\.
My money is on Waterford. If they can keep their discipline they have the forwards to win well. Any regulars on here heading down? I would have gone but it clashed with the football at Clones.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: SouthArmaghBandit on July 04, 2007, 02:06:38 PM
One of the biggest days in the GAA calendar and we have 12 posts on the Munster Final (13 counting this). Setting up a hurling section clearly hasn't been a huge success  :-\.
My money is on Waterford. If they can keep their discipline they have the forwards to win well. Any regulars on here heading down? I would have gone but it clashed with the football at Clones.

I'd loved to have gone down and made a weekend out of it, but have a qualifier game against the Slashers to take in. Would have been a great year to do it, what with no Cork or Tipp in the final...  ;D
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...