China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Itchy

Quote from: Farrandeelin on October 12, 2020, 02:03:15 PM
Quote from: Itchy on October 12, 2020, 01:41:38 PM
Quote from: restorepride on October 12, 2020, 12:45:58 PM
If a teacher is not doing his or her job properly - complain to the school, again and again.   Same as any other profession.  What I can tell you is that the 'new' teacher in the 6 counties is a completely different species than 20-30 years ago, much better trained and held to account.

My comments are related to the South. I dont know anything about teachers in the North. I should have made that clear.
What I can tell you is down here you can complain a million times but bar a teacher murders a pupil in the South they are going nowhere.

Wrong. There are procedures that can get a teacher to lose their job. Just complain to the board of management about him/her/them.

Yes, there are procedures. Go and find out how many teachers have been subjected to it to the point they lost their job and report back to me. We both know the answer can be counted with fingers on one hand.

Itchy

Quote from: Rossfan on October 12, 2020, 03:04:15 PM
Something to take Itchy's mind off teachers and Riscommon players meals

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/cavan-headed-for-covid-19-danger-zone-as-border-counties-may-face-level-4-restrictions-39613106.html

Yes, hilarious isn't it. Unfortunately that's partition for you, it hasn't worked out too well for Border counties ever.

Angelo

Quote from: restorepride on October 12, 2020, 03:11:40 PM
Quote from: Angelo on October 12, 2020, 03:05:41 PM
Quote from: tbrick18 on October 12, 2020, 02:50:20 PM
Quote from: Angelo on October 12, 2020, 02:27:16 PM
It will be interesting what happens up north in the next 5/6 weeks.

On the 14th August there were 6,299 cases and the death total was 558.

Around two months later and the cases are up to 20,158 but deaths are only up to 588.

So cases are up 223% yet deaths are only up 5%.

Obviously the surge has only been lately so the real answer on deaths will only be in 5/6 weeks time, you'd imagine by using precedent you'd expect the death rate to be 1,805.

I really don't envisage 1,300 odd Covid deaths in the O6 in the next 5/6 weeks.

I listened to some professor on BBC Radio Ulster this morning. He said the pattern of infections with low hospital admissions and correspondingly deaths, is similar to what happened in the first wave.
That initially the younger healthier generation get it but that doesn't immediately cause a spike in deaths or hospital admissions, however, with the inevitable spread from the younger generation to the older generation in the weeks ahead, the deaths will rise.
There is no evidence that I've seen that says there will not be 1300 deaths in the 6 over the next 5/6 weeks.
The WHO say the number of reported deaths divided by the reported cases is between 3-4%.
We are at 1000+ a day at the moment, which could mean 30/40 deaths per day if we continue at the current rate of infection. That could be approx 200 deaths a week, over 5-6 weeks is close to the 1300 mark. All very approximate figures, but the complacency about us not going to get it that bad is a major part of the problem in my opinion.

I still maintain it's highly unlikely. We will see in the next 5/6 weeks though.

It's all guesswork and the experts have shown us that they don't have the foggiest idea.

Is there any conclusive proof that the second wave is any higher than the first or is it just that they now have an established testing and tracing regime in place which is yielding higher positive cases as result?
How many daily new cases are there in reality?
How many actual new cases does the testing system actually capture?
Is it 4 or 5 times higher in reality?
What immunity do asymptomatic people develop?

Whatever way you want to look at it, science has badly let us down.
Jaysus!!  Will we start on the rosary or what?

We're probably 10 months into a pandemic and pretty much none the wiser about it.

Do we have clear answers on immunity, transmission, potency, level of infection?

Not a clue. The virus will probably have burned itself out long before science has solved it.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Jeepers Creepers

Chris Whitty said on the 21st of September that there would be 50 k cases a day by mid October if drastic action wasn't taken.

Rossfan

Science us a biteen more complicated than Internet forums/Social media where everything is solved in half an hour.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

tbrick18

Quote from: Angelo on October 12, 2020, 03:18:37 PM

Around two months later and the cases are up to 20,158 but deaths are only up to 588.

Obviously the surge has only been lately so the real answer on deaths will only be in 5/6 weeks time, you'd imagine by using precedent you'd expect the death rate to be 1,805.

I listened to some professor on BBC Radio Ulster this morning. He said the pattern of infections with low hospital admissions and correspondingly deaths, is similar to what happened in the first wave.
That initially the younger healthier generation get it but that doesn't immediately cause a spike in deaths or hospital admissions, however, with the inevitable spread from the younger generation to the older generation in the weeks ahead, the deaths will rise.
There is no evidence that I've seen that says there will not be 1300 deaths in the 6 over the next 5/6 weeks.
The WHO say the number of reported deaths divided by the reported cases is between 3-4%.
We are at 1000+ a day at the moment, which could mean 30/40 deaths per day if we continue at the current rate of infection. That could be approx 200 deaths a week, over 5-6 weeks is close to the 1300 mark. All very approximate figures, but the complacency about us not going to get it that bad is a major part of the problem in my opinion.

I still maintain it's highly unlikely. We will see in the next 5/6 weeks though.

It's all guesswork and the experts have shown us that they don't have the foggiest idea.

Is there any conclusive proof that the second wave is any higher than the first or is it just that they now have an established testing and tracing regime in place which is yielding higher positive cases as result?

We're probably 10 months into a pandemic and pretty much none the wiser about it.

Do we have clear answers on immunity, transmission, potency, level of infection?

Not a clue. The virus will probably have burned itself out long before science has solved it.

This is starting to sound a bit like Donald Trump! The virus will have burned itself out? Really?
Where is this science coming from?
In real terms, 10 months is not enough time to fully understand any virus and how it is transmitted, how immunity develops (if at all) or to develop a vaccine.
I do think we know more now than at the beginning....we have a test for a start. We have identified some drugs that help in the recovery. We have vaccines in trial phase. I mean, how fast to you realistically think science can move?
It's not like a movie where the scientists all get together in a lab and have it sorted over the weekend.....it will realistically take years to fully understand this or any virus.

I do hope you are right that we don't get the deaths we all fear. But I think that will only happen if we all keep our distance and follow the regs.

Angelo

Quote from: tbrick18 on October 12, 2020, 03:27:04 PM
Quote from: Angelo on October 12, 2020, 03:18:37 PM

This is starting to sound a bit like Donald Trump! The virus will have burned itself out? Really?
Where is this science coming from?
In real terms, 10 months is not enough time to fully understand any virus and how it is transmitted, how immunity develops (if at all) or to develop a vaccine.
I do think we know more now than at the beginning....we have a test for a start. We have identified some drugs that help in the recovery. We have vaccines in trial phase. I mean, how fast to you realistically think science can move?
It's not like a movie where the scientists all get together in a lab and have it sorted over the weekend.....it will realistically take years to fully understand this or any virus.

I do hope you are right that we don't get the deaths we all fear. But I think that will only happen if we all keep our distance and follow the regs.

You see that's the thing. We're sitting here waiting for science to correct it and 10 months into the pandemic they are still throwing out guesses. They haven't a f**king notion.

We have a test, right, how accurate is that test? There's a lot of debate going around about that alone.

As I said, we're 10 months into a pandemic and we don't even know the basics, how can we even classify how far the virus has spread? The WHO is speculating that 10% of the world's population has had it at this stage, science would want to get its arse in gear and start getting some answers.

Until we can clarity on immunity and antibodies we are pissing in the wind. The answers will reveal themselves before science does. The damage is done up here at this stage, the virus has spread out of control - now it's simply a matter of time until we realise how potent it actually is.

Angelo

Quote from: Rossfan on October 12, 2020, 03:23:10 PM
Science us a biteen more complicated than Internet forums/Social media where everything is solved in half an hour.

They're the experts and I would imagine a global pandemic is a pretty pressing matter so it should be of huge concern that the guys tasked with solving this are coming up against a brick wall.

I think the reality is that science won't solve this and we'll just have to wait for it to burn itself out, however long or short that will be.

oakleafgael

Quote from: Angelo on October 12, 2020, 03:44:33 PM

They're the experts and I would imagine a global pandemic is a pretty pressing matter so it should be of huge concern that the guys tasked with solving this are coming up against a brick wall.

I think the reality is that science won't solve this and we'll just have to wait for it to burn itself out, however long or short that will be.

Would Rafa not be able to sort it out there?

Tony Baloney

Quote from: oakleafgael on October 12, 2020, 03:47:16 PM

;D

Angelo

Quote from: oakleafgael on October 12, 2020, 03:47:16 PM

Rafa is the guy who does his job, science must be the other guy.

Ed Ricketts

No. Those feckless cnuts should have it sorted by now. Few numbers into a calculator. Bang. All the answers. It can't be that hard.

The real issue here is that all these science boys won all their expertise at a time when the challenge from viruses was very weak. They were dominant when the main competition was swine flu, bird flu, SARS - viruses that slid down the rankings when the next generation came along. Their dominance has faded hugely when COVID arrived on the scene. It's an all rounder, not like those big mutating giraffes of viruses they faced in the early days.
Doc would listen to any kind of nonsense and change it for you to a kind of wisdom.

Angelo

Seems like I've triggered a load of Fedheads on here.

five points

Indeed you have. Funny to watch.

Ed Ricketts

Good example of 'triggering' on the board yesterday.

Some dose spent his Sunday on a manic two thousand word ramble about a Spanish tennis player to some other people that don't even care.

That was funny to watch too. But maybe not funny haha.
Doc would listen to any kind of nonsense and change it for you to a kind of wisdom.