We need to talk about Diarmuid

Started by Mayo4Sam, June 05, 2017, 09:37:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Quote from: Taylor on June 12, 2017, 12:12:22 PM
Anyone that thinks DC will get banned is away with the fairies.

If procedure had been followed and he had been sent off then a 12 week ban was a certainty - the way it has been done thought is a balls and it looks like the lads are trying to shut the door after the horse has bolted.

If he does get off it will be a very strange message to send. I'm disappointed he's appealing, because he can't appeal severity of sentence, that's the minimum. He can't appeal that he didn't touch the linesman, because it's obvious, so it must be some sort of procedural point he is appealing on.

Hound

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 12, 2017, 12:31:41 PM

If procedure had been followed and he had been sent off then a 12 week ban was a certainty - the way it has been done thought is a balls and it looks like the lads are trying to shut the door after the horse has bolted.

If he does get off it will be a very strange message to send. I'm disappointed he's appealing, because he can't appeal severity of sentence, that's the minimum. He can't appeal that he didn't touch the linesman, because it's obvious, so it must be some sort of procedural point he is appealing on.
Well he's appealing the touch didnt merit "minor interference", and that the officials must have agreed or else he would have got a red card.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Hound on June 12, 2017, 12:33:47 PM

Well he's appealing the touch didnt merit "minor interference", and that the officials must have agreed or else he would have got a red card.

OK. Hard to see how it can't be. He wasn't rubbing his belly for him. Must have some hope, but if I was a ref I'd be very worried about the signals being sent if he does get off. He was obviously irate, and unhappy, and that's why he laid his hand on the linesman. It wasn't a 'Here, Ciaran, what's left in the game' sort of touch on the arm.  If they accept that that incident is not covered by the rule, then you are definitely opening up for future incidents.

heffo

It's a procedural technicality he'll be looking for so CHC will upload the suspension and then it's appeal & DRA.

While he's totally guilty, I find the piety a little hard to take - the whole GAA disciplinary system depends on which game features on the Sunday game and who's the analyst. Graham Reilly get a long spell on the sidelines after the Dublin v Meath game last year?

heffo

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 12, 2017, 12:40:03 PM

OK. Hard to see how it can't be. He wasn't rubbing his belly for him. Must have some hope, but if I was a ref I'd be very worried about the signals being sent if he does get off. He was obviously irate, and unhappy, and that's why he laid his hand on the linesman. It wasn't a 'Here, Ciaran, what's left in the game' sort of touch on the arm.  If they accept that that incident is not covered by the rule, then you are definitely opening up for future incidents.

if I were a ref I'd be more worried about implementing the rules. In this case why didn't the ref throw up the ball and control the game as soon as he was set up upon by three players?

Every single game he plays he gets clattered late every time he lays off the ball, it's open season on him. No-one sees anything until he inevitably reacts and then flags go up immediately.

When we have a fair and consistent disciplinary system, I'll think of the children. Until then, it's every county for themselves.

AZOffaly

He definitely gets a hard time. No question. But part of the reason he gets a hard time is because he's so easy to wind up. You would think that at this stage, with his experience, he'd be able to handle opponents winding him up, or some wrong decision. It's a major flaw in his approach to the game.

heffo

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 12, 2017, 12:51:48 PM
He definitely gets a hard time. No question. But part of the reason he gets a hard time is because he's so easy to wind up. You would think that at this stage, with his experience, he'd be able to handle opponents winding him up, or some wrong decision. It's a major flaw in his approach to the game.

it is a major flaw and this process is going to be a circus.

It's also incumbent on the referee and his assistant's to implement the rules and I wonder how much longer that treatment would persist.

Did the three Carlow players and Maoir uisce feature in the alleged 'debriefing' I wonder? I think we all know the answer to that.

Like I said, when we get a consistent process we can all take the moral high ground.

mup

Quote from: heffo on June 12, 2017, 12:45:09 PM

if I were a ref I'd be more worried about implementing the rules. In this case why didn't the ref throw up the ball and control the game as soon as he was set up upon by three players?

Every single game he plays he gets clattered late every time he lays off the ball, it's open season on him. No-one sees anything until he inevitably reacts and then flags go up immediately.

When we have a fair and consistent disciplinary system, I'll think of the children. Until then, it's every county for themselves.

A fair and consistent disciplinary system you ask for? As the famous John McEnroe used to say 'You cannot be serious'.

There has been allegations of biting and eye-gouging from members of this Dublin team and it hasn't been addressed. Ok they were allegations but there is no smoke without fire.

Connolly is well able to dish it out and I can think of a certain O'Byrne Cup game against my own county where he could have done serious damage. The audacity of some Dubs coming on here to whinge about the attention that Connolly gets is nothing short of laughable.

Always the victim.

PW Nally

Quote from: heffo on June 12, 2017, 12:55:39 PM

It's also incumbent on the referee and his assistant's to implement the rules and I wonder how much longer that treatment would persist.

Did the three Carlow players and Maoir uisce feature in the alleged 'debriefing' I wonder? I think we all know the answer to that.

Like I said, when we get a consistent process we can all take the moral high ground.
Poor Dermo. Blah blah blame the ref. High moral ground. We play the Dublin way. Our philosophy.

Yeah right!

heffo

Quote from: mup on June 12, 2017, 01:08:40 PM

A fair and consistent disciplinary system you ask for? As the famous John McEnroe used to say 'You cannot be serious'.

There has been allegations of biting and eye-gouging from members of this Dublin team and it hasn't been addressed. Ok they were allegations but there is no smoke without fire.

Connolly is well able to dish it out and I can think of a certain O'Byrne Cup game against my own county where he could have done serious damage. The audacity of some Dubs coming on here to whinge about the attention that Connolly gets is nothing short of laughable.

Always the victim.

Allegations not acted upon? There was an unproven claim by a Donegal player investigated & thrown out.

Regarding anything else, sure anyone can make allegations.

I remember that game in Newbridge and thinking nothing of the incident at the time, taking a snippet and slowing it down doesnt show anything to me. It was also a stated Kildare tactic at the time (By Dinny Breen no less) to deliberately wind up Dublin players to hopefully get them a red card.

Like I said, get referee's to implement the rules and have a consistent and fair system.

heffo

Quote from: PW Nally on June 12, 2017, 01:47:45 PM

Poor Dermo. Blah blah blame the ref. High moral ground. We play the Dublin way. Our philosophy.

Yeah right!

Are you happy the rules as per Official guide were implemented around this incident?

mup

Quote from: heffo on June 12, 2017, 01:49:03 PM

Always the victim.

Allegations not acted upon? There was an unproven claim by a Donegal player investigated & thrown out.

I remember that game in Newbridge and thinking nothing of the incident at the time, taking a snippet and slowing it down doesnt show anything to me. It was also a stated Kildare tactic at the time (By Dinny Breen no less) to deliberately wind up Dublin players to hopefully get them a red card.

Like I said, get referee's to implement the rules and have a consistent and fair system.

Well going by the youtube clip with Paul Kerrigan the allegations are most likely true.  But I suppose you slowed that down too and it was inconclusive. Our own John Doyle was wound up by Dublin players during his playing days but choose to get on with playing. You'd swear Dublin were holier than thou.

And as far as I recall the Donegal player decided not to pursue his complaint.

All I'm hearing is from Dublin fans is how all this is a media campaign. You all have very short memories. Didn't the Dublin media campaign succeed with Lee Keegan last year. Talking out the two sides of your mouths.

The Gaa doesn't have a consistent and fair system with anything. Being from Dublin you should know that. And I don't mean it being a negative for Dublin either.

PW Nally

Quote from: heffo on June 12, 2017, 01:50:36 PM
Quote from: PW Nally on June 12, 2017, 01:47:45 PM

Yeah right!

Are you happy the rules as per Official guide were implemented around this incident?
Is that a question from someone who wants to blame the system and not take the punishment?

What signal does this handling of an official and then challenging the punishment send out?

Gael85

Well going by the youtube clip with Paul Kerrigan the allegations are most likely true.  But I suppose you slowed that down too and it was inconclusive. Our own John Doyle was wound up by Dublin players during his playing days but choose to get on with playing. You'd swear Dublin were holier than thou.

All I'm hearing is from Dublin fans is how all this is a media campaign. You all have very short memories. Didn't the Dublin media campaign succeed with Lee Keegan last year. Talking out the two sides of your mouths.

The Gaa doesn't have a consistent and fair system with anything. Being from Dublin you should know that. And I don't mean it being a negative for Dublin either.
[/quote]

On that Kerrigan incident how come that never came to attention in 2010. If Cork had of lost that game would it have been a different story?

The Donegal player did not turn at hearing as would have picked up a ban himself. McGuinness forget to mention that.

heffo

Quote from: mup on June 12, 2017, 02:10:45 PM
Quote from: heffo on June 12, 2017, 01:49:03 PM

Always the victim.

I don't believe a snippit of YouTube is admissible as evidence, if you have an unedited piece of video for me to comment on, I'll happily do so.

The Donegal player chose not to pursue his complaint? In the forum where the person who was complained about by Jim McGuinness was afforded a right of reply? There is a process there and the charge was unproven.

Media campaigns between Dublin and Mayo are nothing new, Horan wheeled out the ex-players and local journalists to spin lies in 2012, if someone in Dublin did the same then it was just evening the score.

You're missing the point, we could spend the whole day in whataboutery - the whole fact that the three Carlow players & Maor uisce aren't part of the conversation shows just how much of a joke our system is.