We need to talk about Diarmuid

Started by Mayo4Sam, June 05, 2017, 09:37:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Low and Hard

As much as I admire Connolly as a footballer, he's definitely overstepped the line this time. I would love to see GAA match officials get the same respect rugby refs do. Connolly is a role model for young kids throughout the country he 100% needs to be banned.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on June 05, 2017, 11:38:38 AM
Quote from: highorlow on June 05, 2017, 10:05:23 AM
Ah FFS M4S no need for this shit. This isn't us. Pull this thread. Known some of our lads We will have our our own discipline to deal with before the season is over.

The incident itself was not an infringement of the rules when common sense is applied. He patted the linesman.

Was it the Paul Galvin incident back in the day that caused the wording in this rule?

Mayo's shouldn't stoop to the level of Spillane and O'Rourke, I thought that was a contrived attack on the lad by them last night and criminalising the lad before he gets a hearing. Some pair of gobdaws.

I'm sorry but there is need for this. For two All-Irelands we've been the victim of an orchestrated media attack before we ever did a thing.
Here is a high profile opponent that has clearly broken the rules. Whether the punishment is harsh or not doesn't change the offence.
And its not because its Connolly in particular, if it was a Galway lad I'd be looking for the same thing

Orchestrated media attacks?

Lee Keegan got away with an awful lot before it was ever put under the microscope.

There's not much in the Connolly incident and I don't think it should be a ban but he has put himself in a precarious situation through no ones fault but his own.

tippabu

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on June 05, 2017, 11:51:25 AM
Ah FFS M4S no need for this shit. This isn't us. Pull this thread. Known some of our lads We will have our our own discipline to deal with before the season is over.

The incident itself was not an infringement of the rules when common sense is applied. He patted the linesman.

Was it the Paul Galvin incident back in the day that caused the wording in this rule?

Mayo's shouldn't stoop to the level of Spillane and O'Rourke, I thought that was a contrived attack on the lad by them last night and criminalising the lad before he gets a hearing. Some pair of gobdaws.

I'm sorry but there is need for this. For two All-Irelands we've been the victim of an orchestrated media attack before we ever did a thing.
Here is a high profile opponent that has clearly broken the rules. Whether the punishment is harsh or not doesn't change the offence.
And its not because its Connolly in particular, if it was a Galway lad I'd be looking for the same thing

Lee Keegan got away with an awful lot before it was ever put under the microscope.

There's not much in the Connolly incident and I don't think it should be a ban but he has put himself in a precarious situation through no ones fault but his own.

If it was an isolated incident then maybe but they have absolutely no choice to make given the precedence set by current bans being served for the same infraction

yellowcard

Spillane was an embarrassment last night.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on June 05, 2017, 11:51:25 AM

Yes! Whether it was deserved or not the Media attack by high profile Dublin Journalists, Commentators and former players on Keegan was Orchestrated. There were just too many of them saying the same thing at the same time for it not to be.

The Kerry media mafia (O'se x 2, Liston, Spillane, Gooch, etc) will move in with their Yerrah soft talk on this, while twisting the knife! In fairness Kerry have a solid media presence and this is a big help in influencing the authorities (not to mention the masses). 

lurganblue

He wasnt throwing compliments at the linesman.

12 weeks it is

Syferus

longballin

Main Street

Laying a hand on an official in a game is the equivalent of bitch slapping your mother, 12 weeks minimum in the doghouse.
But who can tell how this CCCC will react,  they who went into frenzied persecution mode over a fuzzy phone cam video of  some unidentified Antrim player  vaguely doing something and lost the run of themselves, followed by a didn't see anything with Mattie Donnelly.

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

It is a win win situation for everyone apart from Dublin. If he rightly gets his ban they are without the greatest footballer of all time until the end of August while if he gets off then it will be another example of GAA favouritism to Dublin which will also wind them up no end.

Jinxy

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on June 05, 2017, 10:39:14 AM
Quote from: longballin on June 05, 2017, 10:29:49 AM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on June 05, 2017, 10:14:06 AM
It would be very harsh for Connolly to serve a ban for that. It was a nothing incident, if it was any other Dublin player bar McMahon there would be absolutely nothing made of it. Spillane's calls for a ban are absolutely embarrassing and pathetic but what else would you expect from a Kerry man.

The rule is very clear. Spillane told the truth. Is a pity as he didn't push him too hard but GAA can't run around nailing junior club players and counties like Antrim but let high profile players do what they like.

Photoshop.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

longballin

Sorry you can't be done on photographic evidence : (

mrdeeds

He put his hands on linesman and pushed him. It might not have being a strong push but push none the less. He needs to be suspended or it will then be seen ok to push officials gently. A debate will break out about an acceptable level of pushing towards officials.

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: johnneycool on June 05, 2017, 10:26:37 AM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on June 05, 2017, 10:14:06 AM
It would be very harsh for Connolly to serve a ban for that. It was a nothing incident, if it was any other Dublin player bar McMahon there would be absolutely nothing made of it. Spillane's calls for a ban are absolutely embarrassing and pathetic but what else would you expect from a Kerry man.

I'm sure Ciaran Brannigan isn't waking up this morning with chest pains from that, and didn't make a whole issue of it at the time, doubt it will be in the referees report.

Connoilly shouldn't have touched him and you could see the GAA making a point about physical contact with an official but it was a Dublin player so it'll be fine. Lord help any Antrim or Armagh lad who'd have done that....

Branagan (he's from Down.)  He's not Joe McQuillan. Remember, Niall Cullen, referee for Armagh v Antrim whose report included a description of the verbal encounter between McGeeney and the linesman, did not include that a player hit him with the ball during a break in play, assault in anyone's book.

Connolly did push Branagan and was not politely asking him why he made that decision.

There will be no problem identifying him on the video.  Check out from 0:25 to 0:28 to see him lay his hand on the linesman and then causing him to step backwards for two steps due to the pressure exerted while letting him know how much he disagreed with his decision.  Then on 0:29 pointing to a fly that had landed on the linesman's nose.

https://youtu.be/90nsP6NuBA8

Can't see why anyone would think Spillane was any more an embarrassment than usual because he highlighted this offence and was backed up O'Rourke.  Only embarrassment was Cahill.

OgraAnDun

Quote from: mrdeeds on June 05, 2017, 02:16:07 PM
He put his hands on linesman and pushed him. It might not have being a strong push but push none the less. He needs to be suspended or it will then be seen ok to push officials gently. A debate will break out about an acceptable level of pushing towards officials.

Exactly.