London v Galway 25th May 2014

Started by 30mog, May 03, 2014, 01:31:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Quote from: Canalman on May 26, 2014, 05:31:26 PM
Honestly think Galway will have a very big say in this year's championship.

For all Mayo's recent improvement and record in CP they will never imo anyway have the sense of menace that even a unheralded  Galway team has  arriving in CP.

You're living on dreams of yesterday. This Galway team is a big work in process and there's some ups and downs before they're going to become a consistent threat again.

GalwayBayBoy

I wouldn't go that far now. Getting to a Connacht final and producing a half decent performance there and/or a couple of wins in the qualifiers after would be something to build on alright.

I wasn't even positive on Saturday that we would beat London and I'd feel the same way about the Sligo game. A lot of young players on the team and only a couple of experienced heads left. Hard to know how they would react if it's put up to them.

seafoid

Galway have less mental baggage as well as a bit of swagger when they get a decent team going . I hope Mayo can win Sam first because if they don't it's going to be such a rhubarb flavoured sickener.  Galway couldn't even beat Antrim 2 years ago and Mayo were in the final.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Tubberman on May 26, 2014, 05:35:45 PM

For all Mayo's recent improvement and record in CP they will never imo anyway have the sense of menace that even a unheralded  Galway team has  arriving in CP.

This is Galway, the county who haven't won a match in Croke Park in 13 years? Very menacing alright...

I think Donegal's win against Kildare in 2011 was their first championship win in Croke park since 1992?* if the players are there anything is possible with the right management,game plan and system in place.

*I'm wrong Donegal played Armagh in the 2003 semi final and it was Galway that Donegal bet back then.

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: Captain Obvious on May 26, 2014, 08:01:34 PM

I think Donegal's win against Kildare in 2011 was their first championship win in Croke park since 1992?* if the players are there anything is possible with the right management,game plan and system in place.

*I'm wrong Donegal played Armagh in the 2003 semi final and it was Galway that Donegal bet back then.

The Donegal q-final win over Galway was in Castlebar in a replay, so your original point is correct given that the first game in Croke Park was a draw.

Good win for Galway but London were so poor that nothing can really be taken from it, match was over after 15 minutes. I fully expect Mayo to walk Connacht anyway, miles ahead of the other counties although the Rossies do look to be on the way back, don't think they'll have enough for Mayo this year, Galway or Sligo most certainly do not.

The days of Galway being feared are long gone and I'm surprised it's been mentioned, it was a miracle that we didn't get relegated out of Division 2 this spring, that's the level where we are at.
If we can beat Sligo (who have had the Indian sign on Galway the last few meetings), put in a good performance against Mayo and somehow win the last 12 game to make August for the first time in 6 years it will have been a great year, the Sligo game is absolutely huge for this Galway team, a loss there and there is nothing to take forward into the qualifiers really.

I'm hopeful that Galway will be back as a force at some stage but we trying to come back from absolutely nothing at this point so it could be years yet, Tomas O'Se made a good point on the Sunday Game last night about U-21 players being eased into a Kerry setup full of seasoned players giving them every chance to make it, this isn't the case in Galway and many other counties. Even the '94 minor players that got the win in '98 came into a team with veterans of the calibre of Walsh, Mannion, Fallon, Finnegan and de Paor, when you go back as badly as Galway have in the last ten years it's always then a tough situation for the young players to come into with an already poor team combined with a general lack of interest and pathetic support from the Galway public.

Connacht wise, Mayo will surely win again for the 4 in a row but I would fear for Mayo if they don't clear the big hurdle this year, it's SAM or bust for me, although given the talent in Mayo maybe that's a bit dramatic, SAM or bust for Horan certainly I'd say however.

galwayman

Seanie - is David Kelly playing with Sligo at the minute?
I could be wrong but I'm almost certain I saw him on a flight to the States yesterday.

magpie seanie

Quote from: galwayman on May 26, 2014, 11:32:06 PM
Seanie - is David Kelly playing with Sligo at the minute?
I could be wrong but I'm almost certain I saw him on a flight to the States yesterday.

I didn't hear anything about him not being around. He played for his club in the championship last weekend and there's club championship in Sligo again this weekend.

larryin89

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on May 26, 2014, 11:05:00 PM

The Donegal q-final win over Galway was in Castlebar in a replay, so your original point is correct given that the first game in Croke Park was a draw.

Good win for Galway but London were so poor that nothing can really be taken from it, match was over after 15 minutes. I fully expect Mayo to walk Connacht anyway, miles ahead of the other counties although the Rossies do look to be on the way back, don't think they'll have enough for Mayo this year, Galway or Sligo most certainly do not.

The days of Galway being feared are long gone and I'm surprised it's been mentioned, it was a miracle that we didn't get relegated out of Division 2 this spring, that's the level where we are at.
If we can beat Sligo (who have had the Indian sign on Galway the last few meetings), put in a good performance against Mayo and somehow win the last 12 game to make August for the first time in 6 years it will have been a great year, the Sligo game is absolutely huge for this Galway team, a loss there and there is nothing to take forward into the qualifiers really.

I'm hopeful that Galway will be back as a force at some stage but we trying to come back from absolutely nothing at this point so it could be years yet, Tomas O'Se made a good point on the Sunday Game last night about U-21 players being eased into a Kerry setup full of seasoned players giving them every chance to make it, this isn't the case in Galway and many other counties. Even the '94 minor players that got the win in '98 came into a team with veterans of the calibre of Walsh, Mannion, Fallon, Finnegan and de Paor, when you go back as badly as Galway have in the last ten years it's always then a tough situation for the young players to come into with an already poor team combined with a general lack of interest and pathetic support from the Galway public.

Connacht wise, Mayo will surely win again for the 4 in a row but I would fear for Mayo if they don't clear the big hurdle this year, it's SAM or bust for me, although given the talent in Mayo maybe that's a bit dramatic, SAM or bust for Horan certainly I'd say however.

Rossies on their way back ?

This is a common misconception , once they've beaten Mayo in over twenty years of championship football and that was 13 years ago. I don't think they've won a championship game in Croke park since 1980.

It's just mental the way the Rossies are made out to be something they're not.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Blowitupref

Quote from: larryin89 on May 27, 2014, 07:18:04 PM
I don't think they've won a championship game in Croke park since 1980.
It's just mental the way the Rossies are made out to be something they're not.
In fairness much like Mayo 1952 to 1988.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

seafoid

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on May 26, 2014, 11:05:00 PM

Galway got going again in 1995 after some very bad years . I think the lowest point was losing to Leitrim and there was no back door. I don't think anyone who went to the Connacht final in 95 imagined an all Ireland 3 years later. Anyway it took a few iterations before 1998.
There isn't anyone around today like Val Daly either. 

Blowitupref

Quote from: seafoid on May 27, 2014, 08:52:54 PM
Galway got going again in 1995 after some very bad years . I think the lowest point was losing to Leitrim and there was no back door. I don't think anyone who went to the Connacht final in 95 imagined an all Ireland 3 years later. Anyway it took a few iterations before 1998.
There isn't anyone around today like Val Daly either.
Wasn't 1995 the year that Galway were lucky to get past Leitrim? i think a few late Ja Fallon points won it for Galway.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

imtommygunn

They gave tyrone a tough game in 95 and tyrone near won it so can't have been that bad.

Leitrim had some very good players at that time too.

magpie seanie

Quote from: imtommygunn on May 27, 2014, 09:16:57 PM
They gave tyrone a tough game in 95 and tyrone near won it so can't have been that bad.

Leitrim had some very good players at that time too.

I was at that '95 semi final and Galway scared the crap out of Tyrone that day. They were blessed to get a replay out of us in the first round of Connacht that year. No back door, could have been gone.

rrhf

Galway are the down of connaught.

armaghniac

Quote from: rrhf on May 28, 2014, 10:45:15 PM
Galway are the down of connaught.

Is half their pitch in Mayo?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B