Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clover

We're is Delargy is he still trying to raise the money to pay mc keever to be the next manager come out come out we're ever you are the punters need to know what's going on

NAG1

Quote from: Clover on September 21, 2017, 11:56:58 AM
We're is Delargy is he still trying to raise the money to pay mc keever to be the next manager come out come out we're ever you are the punters need to know what's going on

He could be a while if he is trying to raise that sort of cash  ;D ;D ;D

Totally laughable

bannside

Not sure what anyone else is hearing but all I have been told is that all three candidates interviewed exceptionally well and it is a close contest. The men charged with picking a successor are keeping their cards very close to their chest and rightly so.

Re funding, an inter county team can't be run on a shoestring. We have done that for years and look where its got us. We simply must broaden our outlook a financially or else we can expect more of the same. Surely most reasonable people here will agree with that assessment?

Gold

Totally agree BS

Pay peanuts you get monkeys

If we dont think bigger we'll stay the same. You have to spend money to make money

Look at Sunday in Croker...how do we get there...we havent since 1912 so how do we, if ever?
We need to start thinking bigger for a start...an insider appointment, just because he is free is no good to us. Candidates (good men no doubt) who managed teams to victories who in reality could manage themselves are no good to us

"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

bannside

Thats definitely the consensus I'm picking up Gold. It's time to think outside the box and if that means going for it, then let's get stuck into it. Let's make it work. We gave the players i dont care what anyone says. We just need the set up. Then every player will give their right arm to play.

bit of banter

What players are we talking about that we will have giving their right arm to play for Antrim. Please name them we had a great bunch last year who were very unlucky not to stay in div 3. Just because guys are looking extreme amounts of money doesnt mean they will do a better job. Were in division 4 lets be realistic were at best a bottom half of 3 team surely we need to get all these so called great men to help with development squads and build a great antrim team again.

bannside

I fully respect your opinion Bit of banter. But I think it's important to look at a few facts. Our minors beat Donegal, two years in a row we beat Fermanagh before that. So I will work on an assumption that there are at least half a dozen players from those year groups that can make up into really good seniors in due course.

Our under 21s took a double winning Monaghan team full on for 55 minutes and I know Monaghsn had a lot more in done in terms of preparation than our boys. We were toe to toe with them all over the pitch. There are at least four or five of those guys good enough to step up.

We don't need 40 or 50 players. Donegal won two all Ireland using 17 players. I'm sure we have this in our midst.  What I am not sure, in fact I am certain, is that we haven't really ever done this thing right. I will proudly promote the theory that if it's done right, really well, with proper support throughout, that we can turn round the fortunes of Antrim Football.

I don't think Ulster is great atm, be confident we could have a team competitive in 3 years in the right hands and a proper backroom set up. But if we all think bottom div 3 is our lot for eternity then that's a very sad reflection on us, and on our county. For God's sake let's do this.

bit of banter

Last year we probably had the youngest antrim team we have had in along time. How many of these minors and u21s are shining brightly in our own division 1 or 2 leagues, i totally agree that the manager who ever it is needs a long term of 5 years at least but the cost of that if yearly figures are correct will be beyond us no matter how many breakfast mornings we have. With all respect we will probably go with the cheapest option will u still give your support then bannside as that wont be your man.
Still no actuall names of these players we r going to have giving their arms for antrim. Lets help out the new management by naming the best talent in the county that they should call on.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: bit of banter on September 21, 2017, 10:10:21 PM
Last year we probably had the youngest antrim team we have had in along time. How many of these minors and u21s are shining brightly in our own division 1 or 2 leagues, i totally agree that the manager who ever it is needs a long term of 5 years at least but the cost of that if yearly figures are correct will be beyond us no matter how many breakfast mornings we have. With all respect we will probably go with the cheapest option will u still give your support then bannside as that wont be your man.
Still no actuall names of these players we r going to have giving their arms for antrim. Lets help out the new management by naming the best talent in the county that they should call on.

I'd say most people would want 25 committed players who buy in to what the new management team wants. You can work wonders with that sort of attitude.. players need to commit and so do clubs, I think we (clubs) demand more from these players and  the knock on effect is more effort for club than county, think if we were a top county you'd see a different approach from players, as it is they feel winking with their club is best chance of silverware
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

country bumpkin

Quote from: bannside on September 21, 2017, 09:59:30 PM
I fully respect your opinion Bit of banter. But I think it's important to look at a few facts. Our minors beat Donegal, two years in a row we beat Fermanagh before that. So I will work on an assumption that there are at least half a dozen players from those year groups that can make up into really good seniors in due course.

Our under 21s took a double winning Monaghan team full on for 55 minutes and I know Monaghsn had a lot more in done in terms of preparation than our boys. We were toe to toe with them all over the pitch. There are at least four or five of those guys good enough to step up.

We don't need 40 or 50 players. Donegal won two all Ireland using 17 players. I'm sure we have this in our midst.  What I am not sure, in fact I am certain, is that we haven't really ever done this thing right. I will proudly promote the theory that if it's done right, really well, with proper support throughout, that we can turn round the fortunes of Antrim Football.

I don't think Ulster is great atm, be confident we could have a team competitive in 3 years in the right hands and a proper backroom set up. But if we all think bottom div 3 is our lot for eternity then that's a very sad reflection on us, and on our county. For God's sake let's do this.
Whilst I really admire ur optimism BS I cannot marry such with logic.
Just where are those players who can lead us to Croke or possibly even Clones?
Do u think we have the training facilities in place to compare with successful counties....?
Have we personnel in search of management who have a track record within their own club leading to success...county titles...??

I am glad to see you have jettisoned your austerity policy which you favoured last year in the treatment of our minors BS......no packed lunches from now on in??

Milltown Row2

We've a Antrim man who managed at the highest level and won an All Ireland club CB... played for Antrim for many years and won Ulster club himself during his playing days... is that the type of man you're looking for?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

country bumpkin

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 22, 2017, 07:47:32 AM
We've a Antrim man who managed at the highest level and won an All Ireland club CB... played for Antrim for many years and won Ulster club himself during his playing days... is that the type of man you're looking for?
Indeed....but would  e bring along a few players...and quickly establish a training facility......Owenbeag on the Falls... :)

Milltown Row2

Quote from: country bumpkin on September 22, 2017, 07:53:15 AM
Indeed....but would  e bring along a few players...and quickly establish a training facility......Owenbeag on the Falls... :)

Well the Falls park was good enough to win Ulsters and All Irelands, so not a bad idea CB, what's your secret for all your success? Wouldn't be outside managers or players, oh wait, the gift that keeps on giving lol

Kickham csc

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 22, 2017, 08:27:36 AM
Quote from: country bumpkin on September 22, 2017, 07:53:15 AM

Regarding facilities etc, Antrim are in probably in a really strong position, if we think creatively, Antrim could utilize any of the  following;
UUJ training facilities, UUJ performance testing facilities, UUJ Physio department (which we could get cheap if we approached the department and allowed supervised student involvement in treatments)
QUB training facilities, QUB physical training center
Antrim training center
School Facilities, e.g St Mary's CBS (Derry won an All Ireland and trained a lot in St Pats)

All these facilities are of a high standard

Then lets consider club grounds;
Cargin, Ahoghill, Creggan, Tir Na Nog, Dunloy, etc, all have great facilities
In Belfast Falls park (??), Woodlands, Lamb Dearg, (other clubs ??),

So we have the facilities now to set up really good programs, what we need is long term plans, for the seniors and for the underage teams

Well the Falls park was good enough to win Ulsters and All Irelands, so not a bad idea CB, what's your secret for all your success? Wouldn't be outside managers or players, oh wait, the gift that keeps on giving lol

Spike

The only team to achieve any national success from Antrim recently was St Galls and to do so they had to pillage from every corner of Ulster and Belfast.  I know of few stand out players from others counties playing in Antrim that would be an addition to the current squad if even they were persuaded to do so therefore.....

we need a short term stability solution with a long term plan to back it all up.  I see the pride derry and tyrone men have in playing for their county and I feel its just not the same for antrim.  A lot of clubmen feel disconnected with the county, so a initiative to garner a connection needs to be implemented.  Schools need to be targeted properly, not just lip service paid.  Regarding management, All we ask is for a man and team with a proper CV to bring us forward, whether he be outside or not.  The days of 'I took Sarsfields minors for a year' are gone if we are serious about progressing antrim football.  Make no mistake, I see people on hear talking about unlunkcy to get relegated and such like.  Last year was a joke. No team (players & management), and Ill repeat NO Team is unlucky to get relegated. You've either been rubbish or out of your depth in the first place.

People speak of a centre of excellence.  Is dunsilly going to be the biggest white elephant and worst thought of plan ever?  bite the bullet and choose Cargin or Ballymena and sink proper funds into it to create a stand with terracing and a base to operate both hurling and football from.