All Ireland S.H.C. Final

Started by lilpaulie85, August 19, 2010, 12:14:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2010 All Ireland Champions?

Kilkenny
Tipp

slow corner back

If Tennyson and Shefflin manage 70 minutes tomorrow it will be nothing short of miraculous. If they are both 100% the Cats will win by 8-10 points. Since last year the Cats have restored Noel Hickey allowing JJ Delany to move back to left half back. This has delivered overwhelming possesion to them in every championship match this year. If KK get 50% possesion they will beat any team in the country comfortably. This year like 2008 they are gaining 60% + possesion last year they won games against Tipp and Waterford while getting less than 50% and conceding goals and goal chances. This year the keeper has barely made a save and they have conceded 1 goal in three games.

Kerry Mike

QuoteInteresting how Mick Galwey was involved

Mick is a dead on fellow and still has very strong GAA ties and is living in Killkenny for years and would have had the contacts with Hartman through Munster Rugby and would know many of the hurling fraternity in Kilkenny, hopefully Henry will make it through the full 70 tomorrow though I am shouting for Tipp.

Tipp Tipp Tipp Tipp
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

Croí na hÉireann

I'd like to see KK drive for five but I've a sneaking feeling Tipp are coming strong. I'd put Lar in on Hickey & test him for speed. Will there be a couple of changes at 3.25 tomorrow, time will tell. This is not a normal build up for KK & it could have an impact, Tipp by 1
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

imtommygunn

Who partnered Cha at midfield against Cork? Was it not Rice? If so he was amazing in that game and must be a bit peeved not to be on.

Minder

Quote from: imtommygunn on September 04, 2010, 08:25:37 PM
Who partnered Cha at midfield against Cork? Was it not Rice? If so he was amazing in that game and must be a bit peeved not to be on.

I think Fennelly and Cha were the midfield pairing, I don't think Rice started. They have some replacements on that bench.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Farrandeelin

Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

ross4life

Historic Final tomorrow whatever happens! it's a repeat of the Kerry v Offaly football final in 1982

If Tipp win they will be legends like Seamus Darby Martin Furlong if the cats wins they will go down in history as perhaps the greatest GAA team of all time
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Bacon

Down Championships Prediction League Winner 2009

lilpaulie85

can't wait for thisto start now, throw it in to f**k  :P
Chase the dream not the competition.

dowling

Canalman

Still convinced that Tipp will win today and quite comprehensively as well. Tipp by at least 5 points.
Kilkenny's weaknesses (minimal I know) to be exposed by a team on the up and hungry as hell.

Milltown Row2

Really canalman? i was going for a 4 point cat win.  will the minors beat the handicap?? 9 points
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Canalman

Imo the best minor KK team ever produced. Hard to say though with kids, they will beat the handicap if they get an early goal.

AZOffaly

I find this a hard one to call. There are several questions in my mind. Are Tipp really timing a run, improving all the time? Are Kilkenny really going to be at 100%, can they possibly be?

Normally when analysing a hurling game, the first place I look is the half back lines. I think Kilkenny are stonger on paper this year than last year because of Noel Hickey's return. I haven't seen the stats, but I'd imagine Kilkenny are conceding less goals this year, and that's down to his return in large part. Equally important though is it has set the way for JJ to return to wing back. JJ - Hogan - Walsh is a formidable line, as indeeed is JJ - Tennyson - Walsh. A platform like that would normally set you on the way to a win, especially against a Tipp half forward line that was very inconsistent all year. *However* if Tommy Walsh's shoulder is not 100%, and Tennyson is a little below 100% as well, Tipperary have an opportunity to land a mortal blow. They always say the place to attack an opponent is where he is strong. If the Tipp half forwards can continue along the vein they started against Waterford, then Kilkenny will not be able to survive at less than full pace there and then we'll have to see changes, which might unsettle them.

On the other side, I cannot see Henry going toe to toe with Conor O'Mahoney if his  knee is bothersome, althought I have more or less come to the conclusion that he's far better than was reported by the media inthe aftermath of the semi final.

Like the half forward line, Tipp's half back line has been exposed at times this year, especially Conor O'Mahoney at #6. He's a grand lad, and a no nonsense, look after the basics, centre back. But if he is getting dragged around, he becomes way less effective than when he is just anchoring the centre.  I wouldn't be suprised to see Shefflin going in to the corner initially to try and get into the game, with Larkin or Reid going into the centre.  Either of those lads are mobile, and you will know if Tipp are getting worried there if Fanning makes that switch. If O'Mahoney goes to wing back, the next stop will be the dugout.
In the other areas of the field, I think midfield should be a wash. Cha and McGrath are similar players, very mobile, very fast and very accurate. Maher and Fennelly will be interesting, but I'd probably give the nod to Kilkenny there.
Tipperary's full forward line versus Kilkenny's full back line will depend a lot on the half forward battle. I think Eoin Kelly is tailor made for Noel Hickey if Tipp leave him in there, and I wouldn't be surprised to see Corbett started in around there, with McGrath moving out altogether to maybe let Gearoid Ryan in there to start. Tyrell or    Dalton could very quickly put McGrath out of a game because they are so tight, but he might thrive in more open spaces. Also don't be surprised if Seamus Callinan comes in as the game opens up, and his pace coming through the middle would then allow McGrath to go back into the corner.
Lar Corbett is obviously the ace in the hole, and a shut down job on him would go a long way to winning it for Kilkenny, regardless of how the battles out the field are going. I'm not sure if Hickey will do it, but I think Tyrell probably has a chance. As Lar drifts out, Jackie will be comfortable.
On the other side of the field, I think Eddie Brennan could have a big day because he knows if he starts slowly again, he'll get the curly finger. There might be slightly more of a grace period because of Shefflin's situation, but I think he'll want to start quick to reassure Cody he's up for it. As I've said, I can see Shefflin going in there to get going, either in the corner or full back, but on the basis he can't be 100% (or can he :)) I'd have to assume the Tipp full back line can handle him to some extent. Will Power be as good against Tipp as he was against Cork? That would be hard and Curran is better than Cadogan. However Curran is not showing us he is completely comfortable, but I do think Power might suit him because he operates in fairly tight quarters.
I think it's very tight, but I'll break it down like this.
Goalkeepers - Tipperary advantage, but both are good. Cummins' puckouts cannot allow the Kilkenny half backs to clean up if they are going well though.
Tipp FB v KK FF - Advantage Tipp, but I think Brennan will be good.
Tipp HB v KK HF - Very close, I think I might give Advantage KK, barely.
Midfield - Again close, Advantage Kilkenny
Tipp HF v KK HB - The crucial area. I'm going on the basis that they can't be 100%. Advantage Tipp.
Tipp FF v KK FB - If Tipp win the half forward line, then advantage Tipp. Otherwise Hickey will strangle Kelly, and Tyrell and Dalton will minimise the impact of Corbett and whoever else is in there living off scraps. Feck it, on the basis of above, advantage Tipp.
Even as I've typed all that I still can't make up my mind, because I don't know the answers to the questions I've raised myself. We'll know an awful lot more at 3.45 than we will at 3.25, but in the interests of making some sort of prediction, here goes.
I think Noel Hickey being back and Delaney at wing back versus Walsh, Tennyson and Shefflin being out of sorts is a net negative (just about) for Kilkenny. I think Tipperary have poorer form this year, but I still think they should be better than last year because of the experience of being there and matching Kilkenny last year, and because Lar Corbett is flying, and Noel McGrath is becoming even more influential.

The hell with it, I'd like to see Kilkenny getting their 5 because they have been magnificent, but I think they are primed for the taking today if Tipperary are right. I think they will be. I said after the final last year that I'd pick Tipp for 2010, and I'm not changing now, even though I was more confident a year ago.
For a final omen, in Toomevara there is a pub owned by an Offaly man. His name? Seamus Darby, yes that one.
Tipperary by 4.

Minder

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 05, 2010, 11:52:16 AM
Really canalman? i was going for a 4 point cat win.  will the minors beat the handicap?? 9 points

Did you not go down?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"