Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnneycool

Quote from: Dunloy realist on June 03, 2014, 08:53:19 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on June 02, 2014, 04:02:29 PM
The way we were setup to begin with, and no harm to McKinley, but the reluctance to move another defender onto their no 14 who was lording everything were big downfalls.

Some half decent performances from a few and some poor performances from others. While we were beat well and that's disappointing the number of errors we made at key times was disappointing as was Ryan's reluctance for change.

Jacob always causes us real problems and did again yesterday. The FF lorded it and they sweeped up significant amounts in defense.

I thought Conor McCann was excellent - at times McManus very good but could give the ball quicker. FF line suffered from lack of height / quality ball in. The space they got between their half and full forward lines in the first ten minutes was ridiculous. You could see it unfold. The FB line were left very isolated - I'm not sure if they pulled the HF line out to do this intentionally or not - more than likely though. Conor Carson also put in a big shift.

Again disappointing. Like most of us you always go to these games with a bit of hope thinking things will be different this time and it doesn't pan out like that but I do think there are still decent players in there. As has been said physically we maybe struggle but hopefully as we're young that will change. I thought some of the younger boys while perhaps overawed showed good ability with the simpler aspects of the game which is often our downfall against these teams. It was more in their half we were making the errors rather than our own.

have to agree with what you say. i thought we were all over the place at times. too many positional changes it was hard to keep up with where players were playing.

woody had a torrid time on the FF, the ball played into him was brilliant, no lofted high balls but fast head/chest height which he came for every time. gave the full back no chance to get at it.

they out thought us most of the game.

mc cann played well thoughout, mc manus as well but his reluctance to play first time ball in and rather run the ball was a comnon theme.

tired legs and minds on our side which isnt their fault. the few weeks rest will do us no harm. we have a solid panel of players now in there which is good to see, i want them to all stay there along with Ryan.

This quality ball all too often is possible because the lad delivering it isn't under enough pressure from his opposite number ala Tipp on Sunday. If Woody was to take a chance and play from the front he'd be fucked with the ball over his head, full forward baring down on goal, damned if you do and damned if you don't. Playing there at times you need to make a decision of the lesser of two evils, concede the point rather than give up goal opportunities!!

On the tiredness thing, didn't Laois have the same build up to the Galway game?

Not entirely sure that would be the issue, certainly the poor start and the fact that Wexford were not going to take Antrim lightly after the U-21's last year and beating Offaly and Laois in the previous months would have Wexford more up for it than Div1A Galway going out to play Div 2A Laois.
Its a back handed compliment that they weren't complacent and its the step up that Antrim need to make, beating good, but not great teams that aren't out for a run in the park.
That's the real challenge for the Laois's Antrims and Carlows of hurling.

imtommygunn

Tiredness played a part in the second half I think but not the first half. It's not the reason we got beat. Wexford were able to get goals at will.

The defenders chopped and changed a lot DR as you say. There are a few guys we have in defense who probably are more midfielders than defenders which I don't think, no harm to them, helped matters.

It was a frustrating game. The FF could get good ball because they were allowed to isolate him too and so there were acres of space in front. It's rare you'd see so much space in there.

I think it was more their half backs were getting the time to put ball in than the midfield.

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: btdtgtt on June 03, 2014, 09:32:40 AM
Quote from: Dunloy realist on June 03, 2014, 08:55:32 AM
Quote from: btdtgtt on June 02, 2014, 04:37:16 PM
Wouldn't disagree with much of that.
But I also thought despite our lack of shape (don't know if this was bad set up from the line or players lost run of themselves) the physicality was not on a par. Even our bigger lads were not using their bodies as effectively when fighting for possession.
And then there was another step up to the game in Thurles!

Also I think Ryan let's us down badly complaining about the schedule again.
Dry your eyes!
We want more games - and when we get them we complain they come as frequently?
You cannot have it both ways!
Do we expect the other counties to wait around on their games while Antrim play our own little competition first?
And that's not to mention the club players waiting on the procession ending!

it doesnt help whenever some clubs call games off either. cushendall called our game off wednesday past when we were wanting to play it. it became irrelvant after Jim McClemments passed away but it shows some clubs wont play without county players, something which at convention was it not pushed for to ensure club games continued?

They are not county players, they are club players representing the county.
No club should be forced to play without their own players.
Sure enough - this might lead to games being called off - but the solution is to allow these players to play - not to call games off.
Consider a club looking for a spot in the top half - or trying to avoid relegation - why should they not have their full team at the behest of the county manager dictated who can and cant play?
Like I said the solution is to allow the players to play - not to call games off.
Much simpler and much fairer - and will ultimately benefit the standard across the board.
Your argument doesn't hold much water considering the club that you where playing wanted the fixture to go ahead had two county players starting last Sunday
The dall have no fear of being relegated so that point is dodgy to
It's the leauge so no better time to try some new players and get a look at them

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

theskull1

Wexford certainly play a fairly Orthodox game plan in the league so as not to show their hand too early in the season. They didn't try to much of it up in Ballycastle

Mind they beat us just as handily down in Wexford park a couple of years ago employing very similar tactics. Isolate our full back line and play quality ball in to quality forwards who know what to do with it. Tipp tried to do the same on Sunday but Richie McCarthy was on fire so he thwarted what more than likely was a big part of their gameplan.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

theskull1

On another note, was there any other no shows in the U21 championship last night?

GNM had to be phoned with our players in the changing room only to find out then they weren't coming down. Hardly respecting the game there  :-\

Hurler24

Just a good game of hurling in Ballycastle. Cushendall unfortunately beat us by 2. Either team would be in with a shout of winning the competition. Several county players and backbones of both senior teams playing.

btdtgtt

Quote from: north_antrim_hound on June 03, 2014, 12:28:26 PM
Quote from: btdtgtt on June 03, 2014, 09:32:40 AM
Quote from: Dunloy realist on June 03, 2014, 08:55:32 AM
Quote from: btdtgtt on June 02, 2014, 04:37:16 PM
Wouldn't disagree with much of that.
But I also thought despite our lack of shape (don't know if this was bad set up from the line or players lost run of themselves) the physicality was not on a par. Even our bigger lads were not using their bodies as effectively when fighting for possession.
And then there was another step up to the game in Thurles!

Also I think Ryan let's us down badly complaining about the schedule again.
Dry your eyes!
We want more games - and when we get them we complain they come as frequently?
You cannot have it both ways!
Do we expect the other counties to wait around on their games while Antrim play our own little competition first?
And that's not to mention the club players waiting on the procession ending!

it doesnt help whenever some clubs call games off either. cushendall called our game off wednesday past when we were wanting to play it. it became irrelvant after Jim McClemments passed away but it shows some clubs wont play without county players, something which at convention was it not pushed for to ensure club games continued?

They are not county players, they are club players representing the county.
No club should be forced to play without their own players.
Sure enough - this might lead to games being called off - but the solution is to allow these players to play - not to call games off.
Consider a club looking for a spot in the top half - or trying to avoid relegation - why should they not have their full team at the behest of the county manager dictated who can and cant play?
Like I said the solution is to allow the players to play - not to call games off.
Much simpler and much fairer - and will ultimately benefit the standard across the board.
Your argument doesn't hold much water considering the club that you where playing wanted the fixture to go ahead had two county players starting last Sunday
The dall have no fear of being relegated so that point is dodgy to
It's the leauge so no better time to try some new players and get a look at them

My point about relegation didn't apply to cushendall but to other clubs who may be without their players - I would have thought that was obvious.

The argument is simple - no club should be forced to play without players who are "away" on county duty - unless they want to.
If they've been deprived of players through no deed of their own - it's their prerogative not play.

You might believe it's a chance for others - but that's not your decision to make on behalf of clubs.

I repeat - the simple solution is to allow the players to play!
Level playing field for all and maintaining the standard of league games helps the county as a whole.

Apparently so

Cushendall are w**ks

Bonamargy

Getting beyond a joke now the amount of club games we have to play "without county players". These players are coached all the way up the juvenile ranks by hard working club volunteers and when they get to senior, if they are good enough, the county takes them and we are told to make do without them.

I think the players should be allowed to play for their clubs, nothing like playing competitive games. Games should never be cancelled. 90% of the hurlers in this county are held to ransom while Antrim are playing games. This is what causes the county apathy. I have heard players and managers saying, "the sooner Antrim get beat the better, we can then get on with playing games". Should never be this way. Let the players play, and Antrim will benefit as well.

theskull1

Quote from: Bonamargy on June 03, 2014, 11:10:20 PM
Getting beyond a joke now the amount of club games we have to play "without county players". These players are coached all the way up the juvenile ranks by hard working club volunteers and when they get to senior, if they are good enough, the county takes them and we are told to make do without them.

I think the players should be allowed to play for their clubs, nothing like playing competitive games. Games should never be cancelled. 90% of the hurlers in this county are held to ransom while Antrim are playing games. This is what causes the county apathy. I have heard players and managers saying, "the sooner Antrim get beat the better, we can then get on with playing games". Should never be this way. Let the players play, and Antrim will benefit as well.

I'd say Antrim play twice as many game than they did 25 years ago and I share the concern nationally that there's a long term aspiration at Croke Park level to develop a 2 tier structure where county players get contracted out away from their clubs. Getting clubs skilled up to develop players and then pick the best from the bunch. Very soon the demands a county player will be such that they'll need recompense and at that point will be owned by their masters.

Maybe I am Victor Meldrews lovechild?  ;)

btdtgtt

Bonamargey & skull - I simply couldn't agree more!
The 2 tier agenda has precedent in other sports - it is happening before our eyes - and it will be irreversible.
The GAA we grew up with is not the one that exists now.
The next stage will be that we don't recognise it at all.

Na Glinntí Glasa

well put it this way, we have played our season so far with only one game having woody on. Shorty hasnt hit leather for Dunloy this season. but, we are happy to do so. we have played all our games and havent complained about it.

this isnt the first time cushendall have done this, they did the same thing last year to us leaving a reserve game only to be played. my point is if the rest of the county have to do it why cant they? we are a dual club and have a number of our starting seniors playing football as well.

im not picking on cushendall, rather im irratated at the fact a club can decide what games suit them and when they feel they can simply decide it wont be played.

its irrelevant now as its done and its another game jammed into an already tight schedule.
hurl like f**k boi!

theskull1

Shorty played against the Ports DR.

Cushendall will blame the structure of the league this year. Its as if it was made up without any consideration to the fact that the IC players would be flat out at the very same time clubs would be keen to get points on the board.

There's too many IC games and isolation between those players and their club team for my liking. Being so isolated geographically, I believe we are more reliant on the club games being as high quality and competitive as possible to ensure the game thrives. We don't have player or support base to fight on both fronts and succeed at both at the same time. Just my opinion

btdtgtt

Quote from: theskull1 on June 05, 2014, 09:51:56 AM
Shorty played against the Ports DR.

Cushendall will blame the structure of the league this year. Its as if it was made up without any consideration to the fact that the IC players would be flat out at the very same time clubs would be keen to get points on the board.

There's too many IC games and isolation between those players and their club team for my liking. Being so isolated geographically, I believe we are more reliant on the club games being as high quality and competitive as possible to ensure the game thrives. We don't have player or support base to fight on both fronts and succeed at both at the same time. Just my opinion

Good points - I feel we will only increase that player base by allowing the club scene to flourish.
And not relegating it for a procession of county games going nowhere fast.

Seamroga in exile

maybe the clubs could stand up to the county management and board. Oh wait.......
"What we've got here is failure to communicate"