Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

btdtgtt

Resources is a fair point - I can imagine the problems faced. It's the same everywhere unfortunately.

My point is just that I think we lose so many hurlers from weaker clubs - whilst the current development squads concentrate on players already getting quality coaching in the big clubs or schools.

Casting the net wider will ultimately produce some hurlers that otherwise we'd lose - whereas we wouldn't be at so much of a risk of losing the better ones from the better clubs. Proper development might focus behind the high levels already catered for.

But it's very true - a matter of volunteers & resources etc restricts the capability for all things at all times. I'm sure there's many a coach cursing my point when they're already working hard against the tide!

Bonamargy

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 13, 2014, 05:41:46 PM
Quote from: mickey80 on May 13, 2014, 05:32:26 PM
MR2 - have you been referreeing this year? How have you found the standard with the developing clubs? The Ahoghills, the Sarsfields and the Cloughmills of this world?

Gaels have lifted it a gear I've noticed they have a bigger squad also, still the main guys playing but more experienced, Sarsfields have kicked on from last also, they have a great 15 and Kevo's lads are very good with McKenna taking good scores, they will only improve. Was disappointed with Cloughmills last year, they looked good in parts but I actually played against them (thats how short we were that day) and beat them. Creggan are the team that has improved the most, refereed them last year and they have done well in the league so far this year.

Hopefully these teams lift the other teams in their leagues, always a good thing when everybody raises the standard, which hasn't been the case in the div 1 football over the past 10 years

Carey are catching the eye up here, they have a very young mobile team and big McCormick has them well drilled. They had a draw with Rossa last outing and beat Glenariff handy enough the game before that. They play Cloughmills tomorrow night so will be interesting to see how that goes. Could be pushing for division 1 after narrowly missing out in league and championship last year.

Na Glinntí Glasa

it seems that div2 is becoming more and more competitive which is great to see. St galls have done great since their set up and the same with Sarsfields.

i will be honest and say i thought they would get hammered most games but they have proved me wrong, something which im glad to say! long may it continue.

sucess boosts a club and a group of players along with that drive to compete at higher levels. Creggan look like they have the bit between their teeth, same with Cloney, to push up to that higher level. the only factor that could hold them is being a dual club thats primary game is football. its not easy to make both the main aim. St Johns do it well so theres no reason other clubs cant.
hurl like f**k boi!

NAG1

Quote from: Dunloy realist on May 14, 2014, 12:33:46 PM
it seems that div2 is becoming more and more competitive which is great to see. St galls have done great since their set up and the same with Sarsfields.

i will be honest and say i thought they would get hammered most games but they have proved me wrong, something which im glad to say! long may it continue.

sucess boosts a club and a group of players along with that drive to compete at higher levels. Creggan look like they have the bit between their teeth, same with Cloney, to push up to that higher level. the only factor that could hold them is being a dual club thats primary game is football. its not easy to make both the main aim. St Johns do it well so theres no reason other clubs cant.

DR I suppose that depends on your definition of well really. In success terms alone then you would have to say at senior level they are and have been failing.

But I do understand the point that you are making.

btdtgtt

Agree with both DR & NAG.
Dual clubs = "success" is relative.
Being competitive or being in division 1 is not the same as actually winning anything. Or even getting close to it!

theskull1

If you've alot of dual players, the facts bear out that you get mediocrity* in both if you try to achieve in both at the same time

mediocrity being a level below where you could be if you focused solely on one code. Others will have an opinion on what defines success for them. I wouldn't be a fan of mediocrity myself
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Milltown Row2

Quote from: theskull1 on May 14, 2014, 03:39:38 PM
If you've alot of dual players, the facts bear out that you get mediocrity* in both if you try to achieve in both at the same time

mediocrity being a level below where you could be if you focused solely on one code. Others will have an opinion on what defines success for them. I wouldn't be a fan of mediocrity myself

one all Ireland win with countless senior titles for a dual club in one code and mediocrity in another code is not bad. Most clubs would bite your arm off for that. Hopefully we can get some hurling success this year.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

theskull1

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 14, 2014, 04:39:34 PM

one all Ireland win with countless senior titles for a dual club in one code and mediocrity in another code is not bad. Most clubs would bite your arm off for that. Hopefully we can get some hurling success this year.

I agree. Its not bad at all.

Not sure why its a reply to the point that I made though as it bears no relation to what I was saying.  :o
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

btdtgtt

Couldn't agree more skull. Precisely correct!

MR2 the point is with reference to hurling - not the whole club.
St galls are the in fact the foremost example of mediocrity in hurling because of football.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: btdtgtt on May 14, 2014, 09:09:17 PM

St galls are the in fact the foremost example of mediocrity in hurling because of football.

We'll see ;)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

btdtgtt

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 14, 2014, 10:58:35 PM

We'll see ;)

We have already seen.

Skull hit the nail on the head.

Milltown Row2

Yes we have never achieved anything of note in hurling, and for the players we have that can hurl we have been overshadowed by an extremely successfull football team, I thought the initial point was that if you are dual you won't be successfull in either code. That's not the case Dunloy and ourselves and to a certain point Rossa/st Johns a few years ago where doing it well on both fronts, winning senior championships in one code and holding their own in another. Being a Gael is getting the games played supportted and promoted, the winning is a what comes along to all clubs at some point in their history and its what drives them on. I've lost a bitta love for it as I've just about stopped playing and it hurts, the refereeing still gives me that wee buzz but the gurnning cnuts that mouth the whole time in a match would sicken your hole :P.

Anyways, I see we were unlucky last nict away to the ports ffs!! Cushendall and Loughgiel served up a draw and the other games went to plan I think, Paddies put up a decent fight against Ballycastle also. All very interesting

btdtgtt

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 15, 2014, 08:52:53 AM

Yes we have never achieved anything of note in hurling, and for the players we have that can hurl we have been overshadowed by an extremely successfull football team, I thought the initial point was that if you are dual you won't be successfull in either code. That's not the case Dunloy and ourselves and to a certain point Rossa/st Johns a few years ago where doing it well on both fronts, winning senior championships in one code and holding their own in another. Being a Gael is getting the games played supportted and promoted, the winning is a what comes along to all clubs at some point in their history and its what drives them on. I've lost a bitta love for it as I've just about stopped playing and it hurts, the refereeing still gives me that wee buzz but the gurnning cnuts that mouth the whole time in a match would sicken your hole :P.

Anyways, I see we were unlucky last nict away to the ports ffs!! Cushendall and Loughgiel served up a draw and the other games went to plan I think, Paddies put up a decent fight against Ballycastle also. All very interesting

Yes wouldn't disagree with a word of that MR2 - although I sense the wins will come along all the less frequently for the dual clubs.

Any more reports from league games? I'm away so much with work at the minute that I'm not getting to see much hurling. At this stage a Munster championship game is most likely - not a bad thing I suppose.

Larnegaa

Was at the Cushendall and LG match last night.  Was a game of two halves.  Cushendall better in first half and LG the second.  One of the guys for LG took a dive in the second have that Ronaldo or Suarez would have proud off.  Sad to see it in a hurling match.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Larnegaa on May 15, 2014, 11:24:13 AM
Was at the Cushendall and LG match last night.  Was a game of two halves.  Cushendall better in first half and LG the second.  One of the guys for LG took a dive in the second have that Ronaldo or Suarez would have proud off.  Sad to see it in a hurling match.

Noticed 2 dives last night in game I done!! was sad that they actually tried to con me with it.