Ulster U-21 Championship 2009

Started by AFS, February 21, 2009, 09:53:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: pintsofguinness on April 15, 2009, 11:55:58 PM
QuoteAs an aside, some of the stewarding was disgraceful tonight
how so?

Firstly a fella beside me was saying that no one was allowed to leave the stand before the match, even to go to the toilet. This seems completely ridiculous. Then I saw a steward close a gate on people trying to enter the stand. Now right beside this steward there was a row of at least 7 or 8 free seats yet he refused to allow an elderly man into the stand to sit there despite the fact that the seats were available. He seemed to be very abusive to an elderly man doing nothing wrong. Then when some one sitting nearby gave out the steward he starting roaring at the man, cursing and swearing (which doesn't annoy me but does annoy others) and accusing the man of wanting another Hillsborough. This steward was a complete embarassment to  the GAA. I also heard a report of someone trying to re-enter the stand and being refused a steward. When the steward was told that he wanted to return to his child, the steward said that the parent shouldn't have left the child in the first place.

The problem seemed to be that the stand couldn't accomodate everyone and therefore they didn't want to let people in who could be lying saying that they'd been in the stand earlier and were returning to their seat. But the issue could have been dealt with much easier with a little forethought by the Ulster Council. They could easily have given out tickets to those going into the stand so they'd know who'd been in before and there would be no re-admission without a ticket. They could even have charged £2 into the stand and only charged £6 at the the turnstiles so that those who didn't get a covered seat wouldn't have to pay the full £8.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: hardstation on April 16, 2009, 12:20:37 AM
There are bogs in the stand.

Fair enough - was only going by what the fella beside me was saying.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Karl Kennedy

Quote from: hardstation on April 16, 2009, 12:26:23 AM
There is also a secret passageway that takes you from the stand to the bar but (sorry pintsofguinness) that is most definitely a secret.

That wouldn't be anywhere near the presentation area would it? ;)

rionach 4

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have to say firstly a few things in general. Whether it be Armagh or Down I said from day one that this championship is a disgrace . How can Down possible go on to play Mayo on Saturday after only three days rest. What in under a god are the Ulster council playing at . This game could and should have been played last wednesday or Thursday or Friday. Can somebody please explain the rationale behind fixing it for tonight. Secondly no programmes .
How many did the Ulster council print . Not one person near me or in any distance from me had a prgramme . It was the same in Ballybofey . When I asked the gentleman in Ballybofey for a programme he told me that The ulster council had sent them three hundred . given the crowd of 1200 at the game in the Donegal town well you can guess . Tonight the crowd would have been in excess of three thousand and not a programme in sight and I was there 15 minutes before the throw in.
The whole night smacked of amateurism . There were only three turnsiles open at the stand end of the ground and approx. 500 gaels had to walk behind the goals to get to the other side of the terracing. The P/a system was a joke . One guy turned around to me and said only at a Gaa ground would you get this and do you know I couldnt argue with him. Number 18 came on for Armagh and I couldnt tell you who he was. When we do amateur , boy, nobody does it better. As for the game . I overall thought Down just about  deserved their win . They totally dominated midfield and their ball handling in the difficult conditions was much better.
We played in patches some good some not so good. David Comiskey was the best player on the field. He single handled brought armagh into the game time and time again . Down did their  very best to frustrate him (legally I mean). Down 's plan was very evident . Stop the Armagh back-line from moving forward at all costs . Block the runs and this they did effectively. I thought the game turned though on a very dubious decision . Paul Mc Comiskey had been more than well marked all night. He resoreted to a high hopeful shot towards goal . Rodgers the goalkeeper held it firmly and proceded out with the ball despite being tackled .
The referee blew the whistle for what most thought was  free out but no the ref decided otherwise and gave the free in . A three point lead and domination at that stage turned and down went on to go ahead . Armagh came back and went a point in front with two minutes to go  but were suckered into the top end of the pitch and instead of killing the ball or fouling they allowed down to exploit the open space and bang in went the goal.  For me it was heart wrenching. a game we could and should have won was gone . Our second half performance just wasn't good enough.
Down's midfield deserve credit and fair due to them they got I feel the tactics spot on. In all a great game but a very disappointing result. On a positive note It is vitally important that Paul Mc Kewon is brought into the county senior squad . He is quality and has that determination and agression that lies at the foundation of every good county player. Stefan Forker  can score . Maybe not the fastest but he can score. And comiskey is special but has to be carefuly nutured . Wish I could have been more insightful to the game but wiithout the programme it is very difficult. Are the GAA turning this into a railway cup scenario. looks like it

Smokin Joe

It mightn't be too long until Tullysaran have a senior county footballer given Comiskey's performances during the championship.

That would be a first since Jerome Doyle played a league game or two in the early nineties.

Stevie Nicks

Another note on the organisation or lack of it at last nights match. To get to the terracing opposite the stand you had to enter the pitch area behind the Andytown road end as they didn't have the gates open to allow you onto the terracing. Did they not expect a crowd at all. Eventually opened the gates to the terracing during the 1st half at some stage. And to think that this could be the future Ulster Final venue if this new stadium goes ahead :-\

Donagh

Threw it away. I take that Poland lad is some relation to Simon who gifted us the penalty in the '99 Ulster final?

spiritof91and94

Quote from: Donagh on April 16, 2009, 09:04:14 AM
Threw it away. I take that Poland lad is some relation to Simon who gifted us the penalty in the '99 Ulster final?

no relation at all - conor can take comfort. Poland and Devlin both played for St Malachy's High on Saturday in the U18 Vocational School All Ireland Final - they have had a cracking easter!!

amallon

Well done to Down and to Armagh last night in another good advert for the U21 game.  Down just about deserved their win but had Armagh won it Down could have had no complaints as there wasn't much between the two teams.  Armagh were physically a lot stronger than Down but Down evened things up by being much more economical than Armagh in the scoring stakes.   Down really struggled to break Armagh tackles, so many times Down players tried to turn their men only for a strong (fair)arm across the chest to turn them back, Armagh didn't seem to have the same problems breaking the Down tackles.  Armagh kicked a serious amount of wides but Down did gift them a few handy points with some moments of Down Senior type harri kari in their own defence.

Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

mournerambler

Quote from: AFS on April 15, 2009, 11:45:53 PM
Extremely disappointing and frustrating end to this one. Down didn't win this one, Armagh threw it away. But they can't complain, you'll never win a game kicking 16 or 17 wides over the course of 60 minutes. The ref didn't help too with some extremely dubious decisions in Down's favour just as Armagh had opened a 4 point second half lead, particularly the laughable, and ultimately crucial, decision to penalise Rodgers for over carrying (to my memory the only occasion in the whole game when this rule was actually enforced).

We seemed in control from when the second goal went in, and even when Down reeled us in to sneak ahead we were able to respond and go back in front but the goal came at a killer time. Armagh were extremely naive to leave themselves so exposed at the back with only a minute to go, the fault here probably lies with the otherwise excellent McKeown, who chose a very inappropriate time to go on a charge up into the forward line. Either the Down man that caught the original punt in, or Poland that came through for the offload to score, should have been rugby tackled out of it. There comes a time in any close game when you have to take the cynical option, and I suppose our boys were probably too green to realise that.

On the night Forker and McKeown were very good for us. And over the course of the campaign those two, plus Jamie Clarke and David Comiskey, provided a lot of evidence to suggest that they can join Toner in the senior set up before too long. At the end of the day, furthering the development of future senior players is the main function of this competition, so although there isn't any silverware to show there is still a lot to be content about.

Don't think Down will do much in the AI series, even though I really hope they go on and win it. Two reason why not: 1) the joke of a situation where they have to head out again in only 3 days time and 2) although their forwards and midfield are impressive and very efficient, Down's defence is frighteningly porous - it has to be a worry that a team with a set of half accurate forwards could run up a huge total against them.
I hope those sour grapes give you a good dose of the back door trots ;D

Onion Bag

Great game of football last night, really enjoyed it. the ball handling for both teams with a wet ball i thought was brilliant and some excellent scores. Thought MC Keown, Comiskey, Armagh NO 8, (Who was he) had no program, Jamie Clarke, JJ Clarke, and Forker all worked very hard. Hard Luck Armagh, and well done Down,

Does anyone know how may of that Armagh team are U21 next season?
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

corn02

At U21 level awards are great bonuses, don;t get me wrong, but the real rewards is the emergence of players and both counties will be happy with this campaign.

Personally it was great to see us in an Ulster final because I didnt think we were overly strong, good to see a few players emerging.

Good luck to Down, they will be wrecked on Saturday night.

The Corporal

Quote from: mournerambler on April 16, 2009, 09:47:33 AM
Quote from: AFS on April 15, 2009, 11:45:53 PM
Extremely disappointing and frustrating end to this one. Down didn't win this one, Armagh threw it away. But they can't complain, you'll never win a game kicking 16 or 17 wides over the course of 60 minutes. The ref didn't help too with some extremely dubious decisions in Down's favour just as Armagh had opened a 4 point second half lead, particularly the laughable, and ultimately crucial, decision to penalise Rodgers for over carrying (to my memory the only occasion in the whole game when this rule was actually enforced).

We seemed in control from when the second goal went in, and even when Down reeled us in to sneak ahead we were able to respond and go back in front but the goal came at a killer time. Armagh were extremely naive to leave themselves so exposed at the back with only a minute to go, the fault here probably lies with the otherwise excellent McKeown, who chose a very inappropriate time to go on a charge up into the forward line. Either the Down man that caught the original punt in, or Poland that came through for the offload to score, should have been rugby tackled out of it. There comes a time in any close game when you have to take the cynical option, and I suppose our boys were probably too green to realise that.

On the night Forker and McKeown were very good for us. And over the course of the campaign those two, plus Jamie Clarke and David Comiskey, provided a lot of evidence to suggest that they can join Toner in the senior set up before too long. At the end of the day, furthering the development of future senior players is the main function of this competition, so although there isn't any silverware to show there is still a lot to be content about.

Don't think Down will do much in the AI series, even though I really hope they go on and win it. Two reason why not: 1) the joke of a situation where they have to head out again in only 3 days time and 2) although their forwards and midfield are impressive and very efficient, Down's defence is frighteningly porous - it has to be a worry that a team with a set of half accurate forwards could run up a huge total against them.
I hope those sour grapes give you a good dose of the back door trots ;D

Agreed MR. The ref did have a serious stinker last night, a lot of people in the stand were giving off about him. Poland and Devlin have had some Easter indeed

Winnie Peg

Congratulations to down on a fine victory. Have to disagree with the last poster. I thought the referee gave a superb performance. Was always up with the play and his decisions were were always given with conviction. IMO he got at least 95% of the decisions right and had no bearing on the result of the game.

Our Nail Loney

Hopefully Down can recover for Saturday bt I can't see them beating Mayo...

When was Mayo's last match?