Limerick Hurling

Started by youbetterbelieveit, December 08, 2008, 03:35:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

youbetterbelieveit

Kirby takes up club reins
Will be interesting to see how Kirby gets on with his home club on his own, possibly he could be back with Limerick as his own man in a few years time. will be keeping tabs on how the d'well perform.

Former Limerick hurling star and selector Gary Kirby will manage his home club Patrickswell next year.

Kirby, who was Richie Bennis' right-hand man in the outgoing Limerick management set-up, will be assisted by Paul Foley, Ger Hurley, Pat Lillis and former All-Ireland referee Terence Murray, whose son Brian is the Limerick goalkeeper.

Meanwhile, Richie Bennis has defended the Limerick hurling team holiday to Cancun and Florida earlier this year, which cost EUR200,000.

He said: "The players raised EUR100,000 with a golf outing and a car raffle brought in EUR15,000. As far as I can see, the county board didn't contribute a whole lot."

styles82

No better man to get the well back up and challenging. If the county have any chance of getting anywhere we need to have a strong club championship. Getting the well back in the mix will be good for the club champ and as a result will be good for the county...

youbetterbelieveit

Ya, they have really been out of the limelight for the past few years, Ahane and Adare have really dominated in recent years. With the usual suspects not really challenging at the business end of the championship.

youbetterbelieveit

County Inter Divisional Hurling Championship Semi-Finals:
Emmets (South) 0-9 Western Gaels (West) 0-7

The other semi has been reschduled until after the new year.

Bord na Mona man

I presume the city clubs are really starting to struggle, now that Munster rugby is on such a high?

If this is a reflection of the sentiment in the city...
http://www.irishexaminer.com/text/story.asp?j=idaucwojcwgbey&p=8xz5368&n=8025448

No attempt to refute the claim btw
http://www.limerickindependent.com/local-news/local-news/sporting-war-of-words-over-city-hall-%91prejudice%92-/

youbetterbelieveit

Ya the recent success has had a huge impact on the GAA scene in Limerick city, and around the county. The city has a number of clubs that are really struggling, take the example of Monaleen (castletroy area out beside UL), they have a huge catchment area there with substantial development done there in the last ten years, the football side were contesting senior relegation last year, and they couldnt field a minor side, while hurling they got relegated out of senior and again couldnt get a minor team either. This is from a club that won county senior football titles in 2000-2004 and now they have fallen badly. hopefully they might be able to pick it up again for 2009. Ballybrown a noted hurling club now play intermediate hurling, Patrickswell once the best club team around are middle of the road senior.
It has to be noted there are some hardworking gaels in the city, and Claughan (a big city club recently returned to senior after 5-6 years in intermediate) St Patricks a relative new club have made great strides in both hurling and football. While Na Piarsaigh continue to do trojan work over on the Ennis road, in an area that would be considered real rugby territory.

Overall the GAA are working hard, but the continued success of Munster Rugby is always going to win the hearts and minds of Limericks youth.

youbetterbelieveit

THERE COULD BE TROUBLE AHEAD!!!

Limerick trio go dual

Justin McCarthy
16 January 2009

Limerick hurling manager Justin McCarthy has been faced with his first real task following the news that three players have decided to represent the county in both codes this year.

The situation of dual players has been a major problem for the Shannonsiders in the past and not since 2005 has the problem occurred, but hurlers Stephen Lucey, Mark Riordan and Stephen Walsh have decided to play for the senior footballers as well this coming season.

This will be good news for football manager Mickey Ned O'Sullivan, although he ideally would like the trio concentrating solely on the football.

However, McCarthy's stance on the matter remains to be seen as he begins his reign in charge of the senior hurlers. The three players have informed both county managers of their desire to play both

Zulu

This is great news for the footballers but I'd say McCarthy wouldn't be the most accomodating in this regard, are there many clashes during the National League? I wouldn't be surprised if McCarthy demanded that hurlers play hurling only.

youbetterbelieveit

Yes very good for the footballers, I think they might be in a strond position to challenge again for a munster final place, which is great to see.

For the hurlers, definitely not good, I really cant see McCarthy been pleased with the situation and anyhow I dont expect to see Riordan and Walsh to involved wit the hurlers, definitely not the starting fifteen, it's a different case for Lucey as he would a an automatic on both teams.
Interesting times ahead, and hopefully a fruitful 2009.

INDIANA

2 of them are more noted footballers, only lucey would be a big loss and he won't pack the hurling in. Much a do about nothng.

Zulu

He did before and a club mate of his told me a few years ago that he preferred the football so if Justin forced him to choose he may very well opt fo rthe football. Limerick will almost definately make the Munster final and if Cork take care of Kerry they'd have a great chance of winning it. Limerick now have what they never had before - a few scoring forwards so they could be about to step up a level. I think the hurlers are heading in the opposite direction to be honest and the footballers might be the better bet for a Munster medal.

INDIANA

I think Justin was insane to take that job, and in time he'll regret not taking the Dublin job. Limerick are gong nowhere.

styles82

lucey back for the munster title he left behind..

Ash Smoker

Justin is what Limerick need, as he is a very good technical coach.
Waterford were missing that extra attention to detail under Gerald McCarthy a few years ago.
Justin might find it hard to stamp out the drinking culture as he isn't a great man manager though!

youbetterbelieveit

Senior Championship
Adare v Knockainey
Div.Winners v Bruff
Murroe-Boher v Croom
Bruree v Ahane
Granagh/Ballingarry v Na Piarsaigh
Patrickswell v Kilmallock
Tournafulla V Claughaun
Garryspillane V Doon

Internediate Championship

knockaderry