Declan Browne retires

Started by Jinxy, July 09, 2007, 06:55:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Onlooker

Declan Browne was a very talented hurler, but his first loyalty was always to Tipperary football, something for which I always admired him.   He won a Minor All Ireland Hurling medal in 1996 and an Intermediate All Ireland in 2000. He won Munster Champioships at Minor, Under 21 and Intermediate, as well as Fitzgibbon Cups with Waterford I. T.   He played a few National Hurling League games for Tipp. as well but never really got a fair chance with the Senior Hurling team.   IMO this was partly due to the anti-football attitude that sadly exists in some circles in Tipperary.  In 2000 he scored 4-12 in a Munster Intermediate Championship match against Waterford in Pairc Ui Chaoimh.

Mentalman

Quote from: Onlooker on July 10, 2007, 03:09:05 PM
Declan Browne was a very talented hurler, but his first loyalty was always to Tipperary football, something for which I always admired him.   He won a Minor All Ireland Hurling medal in 1996 and an Intermediate All Ireland in 2000. He won Munster Champioships at Minor, Under 21 and Intermediate, as well as Fitzgibbon Cups with Waterford I. T.   He played a few National Hurling League games for Tipp. as well but never really got a fair chance with the Senior Hurling team.   IMO this was partly due to the anti-football attitude that sadly exists in some circles in Tipperary.  In 2000 he scored 4-12 in a Munster Intermediate Championship match against Waterford in Pairc Ui Chaoimh.

Didn't know he was such a talented hurler as well! The first time I recall seeing him play was for the Tipp side which won the Munster minor in 1995, against Westmeath in the All-Ireland semi.
"Mr Treehorn treats objects like women man."

Uladh

I haven't seen any irect quotes from brown... does anyone have anything which gives his reasoning for calling it a day?

ExiledGael

Said he had lost the hunger and the quote I remember was 'the football just isn't fun anymore, I'm not in the shape I was in".

Absolutely brilliant footballer, read about his exploits many times but just seen him once against Donegal in the qualifiers in Croke a few years back (before the Dublin Armagh game). I didn't know much of him but couldn't believe how good this Tipp forward was, an amazing talent in such a hurling stronghold.
Possibly unfair to Tipp footballers but I wonder what he would have achieved if he was born in either Cork or Kerry?
No matter, he's a GAA legend and his dedication and loyalty is a true example of what makes our games great and why we all love the GAA

SuperSub

A genuis footballer better than a lot of the so called big names who like to be heard that are playing for other counties

Don

Was on Newstalk this evening, came across very well. Admitted he wasnt hood enough to play Hurling for Tipp. Said Moynihan was his toughest ever marker, no dirty stuff, just pure football. Actually almost put a lump in my throat they way he talked about winning TM Cup with Tipp and going up hogan stand steps.
Showed through love for the Tipp Jersey. Legend of the Modern Era.