Sligo are the CONNAGHT CHAMPIONS 2007

Started by SLIGONIAN, July 09, 2007, 11:58:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MauriceMalpas

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on July 09, 2007, 02:41:14 PM
In reply to maurce malpas..the intensity and pressure on Sligo in 2nd half and our free taking ensured scores would have to be nearly died for to score. It is very hard to describe or put into words what happened yday. The quality was obsorbed by the intensity and pressure. I think most football men would understand both teams are better than yday but occasion was huge.

Fair point. I must admit I havent seen too much of Sligo or Connaught football for that matter over the past yr or 2, with the exception of Mayo but as a neutral I struggled to watch the second half despite the intensity.

Tyrone Dreamer

Great to see. Sligo had a decent team a few years ago but it looked like there chances of landing the title had passed. Thankfully not. Its always great to see a new team make the breakthrough and Im sure you's will have some support in Croker on Saturday the 4th. Hopefully we'll be joing you's there as Ulster champions. At this stage though a Monaghan Sligo semi final cant be ruled out. That would be a novel pairing! Sligo played some stuff in the 2nd half in 2002 to knock us out. I remember they ran straight throught the middle of our defence time and time again - think it was O'Hara who did most of the damage. Hopefully he'll be fully fit for the quarters.

amallon

Congrats to Sligo its great to see them do it.  No sign of Magpie Seanie today, I don't think we will see him for a few days. 
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

Mano

Quote from: amallon on July 09, 2007, 06:01:31 PM
I heard he nearly ended up playing for Knockmore.

Quote from: amallon on July 09, 2007, 06:01:31 PM
What??? Explanation please

Yes its true Sligonian. He was on the verge of joining Knockmore about 7 years ago. His uncle was manager of Knockmore-they were very good back then and contested an all-ireland club final around that time. His uncle has a business in Ballina and offered (been very diplomatic here) him the business if he joined Knockmore. Eamon of course thought about it and was on verge of agreeing but on eve of first league game of year against Drumcliffe he consulted senior players and management in Tourlestrane and changed his mind.

SLIGONIAN

Jeepers that would of destroyed me if that happened. Would he still have played for Sligo do you think?

Similiar to alan smith/cantona signing for man u for me. But obviously ohara leaving would of been 1000 times worse. Dont think I would recover from that hurt.

Didnt happen so forget about it. Talking to myself there.

O Hara = LEGEND.. :D
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Blue06

Congrats to Sligo especially to the long time board members here, OMS, Seanie, Sligoman2 & Sligonian.

MacDanger

Savage win for Sligo.

Fair play to ye lads..............

Hope they get off the beer before the Q/F though.

Fishead_Sam

So who can we rob now? Declan Browne perhaps of Tipp perhaps  ;)

Tom Parsons is a name to watch out for in future years in the Green & Red a Bellaghy man who plays for Mayo, will be a massive loss to you, but not as much as much as a loss as Pierce Hanley will be to Roscommon if the Ballagh man was available to them rather than Mayo.

Mano

Quote from: Fishead_Sam on July 10, 2007, 02:52:34 PM

Tom Parsons is a name to watch out for in future years in the Green & Red a Bellaghy man who plays for Mayo, will be a massive loss to you.
Whats the story here Fishhead. I thought Bellaghy was part of the Curry club area?

A charlestown lad played for Sligo minors a few years back-Towey i think his name was
Quote from: SLIGONIAN on July 10, 2007, 01:49:35 PM
Jeepers that would of destroyed me if that happened. Would he still have played for Sligo do you think?

He would have been able to change county allegiance but i doubt he would have done that

Fishead_Sam

Quote from: Mano on July 10, 2007, 10:09:23 PM

Tom Parsons is a name to watch out for in future years in the Green & Red a Bellaghy man who plays for Mayo, will be a massive loss to you.
Whats the story here Fishhead. I thought Bellaghy was part of the Curry club area?

A charlestown lad played for Sligo minors a few years back-Towey i think his name was

He would have been able to change county allegiance but i doubt he would have done that

Not 100% sure but I think he may have gone to school in Charlestown (which as we all know is in reality the same town, just a County border runs down the middle of a street). I think because of this he can play for Mayo or Sligo.

Did he go to America for the Summer, Johnno might need him now.

Maguire01

Congrats to Sligo!

There was a massive cheer at the game in Clones on Sunday when the result was announced over the PA.

Let's hope Monaghan can do the same on Sunday!

caraghtyrone

Hi,

Just like to add my congratulations from Tyrone on your triumph, delighted for you's and hopefully its only the start of things to come!  Also have to say delighted for Eamon O Hara, he gets his just rewards and wins his first provincial medal.  It would have been a travesty if O Hara had retired not having an honour in the game other than his All Star award in 02 (I Think?).

Well done and good Luck in the remainder of the Championship

Caragh Tyrone

Owenmoresider

Quote from: Fishead_Sam on July 10, 2007, 11:24:40 PM
Quote from: Mano on July 10, 2007, 10:09:23 PM

Not 100% sure but I think he may have gone to school in Charlestown (which as we all know is in reality the same town, just a County border runs down the middle of a street). I think because of this he can play for Mayo or Sligo.

Did he go to America for the Summer, Johnno might need him now.
Doesn't make it right though. On that point, where does the Mayo/Ros border run through Ballaghaderreen?

Turlough O Carolan

Next time you Sligomen are driving home from Hyde Park (maybe after reclaiming the Nestor Cup next year) drive through Ballagh and go home via the Charlestown Road. You'll see a sign "Welcome to Mayo" about six miles outside Ballaghaderren, just before you enter the village of Carracastle.

Owenmoresider

Quote from: Turlough O Carolan on July 11, 2007, 02:06:21 AM
Next time you Sligomen are driving home from Hyde Park (maybe after reclaiming the Nestor Cup next year) drive through Ballagh and go home via the Charlestown Road. You'll see a sign "Welcome to Mayo" about six miles outside Ballaghaderren, just before you enter the village of Carracastle.
That's the route the team took on the way home with Nestor FWIW. Indeed five/six miles inside Ros it is, never realised how far away it was from Mayo until last year, makes no sense at all.