Mayo v Cavan

Started by Redgreenery, June 24, 2007, 06:31:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tubberman

McGaritty came on in the second half which is a big boost.
David Kilcullen played CHB apparently, with Liam O'Malley at FB.
As An Gaeilgoir said, if we can't beat Cavan in the state they seem to be in, we're as well to give it up altogether.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

An Gaeilgoir

The game is set for Castlebar on Saturday 7th at 2.30. Why so early?

Redgreenery

Game fixed for Saturday July 7th at 7pm in Castlebar.

BallyhaiseMan

with Johnstone, Gunner and Cahill gone from the scene

id expect the team to be something like

1.James Reily
2.Chesty or Dermot Sheridan???
3.Michael Hannon
4.Keith Fannin
5.Anthony Forde
6.Jonathon Crowe
7.Ronan Flanagan
8.McCabe
9.Nicholas Walsh
10.Ray Cullivan
11.Mark McKeever
12.Sean Brady
13.Larry Reily/Cian Mackey
14.Jason Reily
15.Gerard Pierson

Tubberman

2.30 in some places, 7pm on hoganstand.
I'm going with 2.30! Not sure why it's so early. Same with Westmeath v Longford - maybe they plan to show one of them live. 
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Redgreenery

Quote from: Tubberman on June 25, 2007, 03:13:07 PM
2.30 in some places, 7pm on hoganstand.
I'm going with 2.30! Not sure why it's so early. Same with Westmeath v Longford - maybe they plan to show one of them live. 

On gaa.ie its down for 7 pm on Saturday so id go with that.

All bar 3 matches are fixed for that time including Westmeath and longford game.

cavan4ever

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on June 25, 2007, 03:07:46 PM
with Johnstone, Gunner and Cahill gone from the scene

id expect the team to be something like

1.James Reily
2.Chesty or Dermot Sheridan???
3.Michael Hannon
4.Keith Fannin
5.Anthony Forde
6.Jonathon Crowe
7.Ronan Flanagan
8.McCabe
9.Nicholas Walsh
10.Ray Cullivan
11.Mark McKeever
12.Sean Brady
13.Larry Reily/Cian Mackey
14.Jason Reily
15.Gerard Pierson

Them 3 would be doing well to get their place on that team anyway.  Johnston has been poor most games this year, gunner hasn't been the same either and Fannin is better than Cahill anyway.

Blue06

What about Lyng BH man.  I'd have him at 13

BallyhaiseMan

christ forgot Lyng  :o what an idiot i am
Yep Lyng at 13 for me as well.

Blue06

Them 3 would be doing well to get their place on that team anyway.  Johnston has been poor most games this year, gunner hasn't been the same either and Fannin is better than Cahill anyway

Agree with you Cavan4ever on Johnston & Gunner.  However Cahill is a better defender than Fannin,  Fannin is a better footballer though but doesn't defend well. 

SuperDooperCooper

Ye Mayo boys must be pleased with this draw.
As an outsider looking in Mayo still haven't nailed down the central positions which must be a worry.
Still Cavan haven't come on anything in the last 2 years and ye shouls have beat them out the gate two years ago.
Handy Mayo win especially since ye are at home.

cavanmaniac

I'd pop McKeever back into the half-back line and move Flanagan to corner forward, put Lyng on the '40 and instruct him to try and conduct the attack instead of working back as a sweeper like in Newry.

We saw what he's like when asked to tackle ::)

OirthearMhaigheo

Quote from: Tubberman on June 25, 2007, 02:53:14 PM
As An Gaeilgoir said, if we can't beat Cavan in the state they seem to be in, we're as well to give it up altogether.

That's great news about McGarrity, will be great to have him back on board, you don't realise how important a player is until they are missing!! Delighted to hear Kilcullen is being given a go at CHB, he's still very young and learning his trade and maybe it's a bit soon for him but he's a great prospect for the future. Even if we do sort out CHB though, the full-back line is still a big worry, looking at Maxwell against Galway yesterday, it's safe to say Liam O'Malley would have been bothered by his height aswell!!

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: cavanmaniac on June 25, 2007, 04:17:36 PM
I'd pop McKeever back into the half-back line and move Flanagan to corner forward, put Lyng on the '40 and instruct him to try and conduct the attack instead of working back as a sweeper like in Newry.

We saw what he's like when asked to tackle ::)

thats the team i expect to see, if i were picking it would be different alright

would like to see a Forde,Crowe,McKeever half back line,

Cunningham,Lyng,Sean Brady half forward line,

Pierson and Flanagan in the corners,
Cullivan as targetman.

Msgr. Horan

Quote from: Tubberman on June 25, 2007, 02:53:14 PM
And before any Cavan men get annoyed I dont think thats any disrespect to them, mayo are a team that were in the AIF last year and based on that fact and the fact that the Messiah has returned as manager feel (rightly or wrongly), that we should be challenging for the last 4 anyway. The point is if we cant beat Cavan who seem to be struggeling then we are obviously well wrong in that assumption and so have no business being at the business end of the championship. Its hard to say that without sounding like a cocky bunch of Rossies.
Anyone know who was playing in the forwards? I hear Masters and Nickey Murphy were out for Cork so thats only half a team they had out then ;D