What does the GAA mean to you ?

Started by seafoid, August 25, 2023, 08:37:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

From the Bunker

There is a hard-core minority who live a breath every minute of the day for the Club and GAA. There are like minded people in Soccer, Basketball, Rugby and so on.

In all these sports there are the passers through - Those who have kids involved, those who are still playing and those who are going through a phase of being involved in the club, following the county/National team. 

To most people in my community the GAA (local Rugby club, Soccer club) means very little. Most pass by the pitch, glance in and see activity. Some will think - that's nice.

They are virtually oblivious of what happens in the local club and some don't really care. Some of these still might support the County team and be sunshine supporters when the Club gets to a county final.

To me the GAA has meant different things at different stages of my life. All have been sporting related.

There is a lot of talk of what a GAA club does for the community, but in most cases it just offers the opportunity for young Girls and Boys to play sport. In the main that's all my local club does and does quiet well. And that's ok.

Sorry to be a bit of a Party-Pooper. 

JimStynes

Quote from: From the Bunker on August 25, 2023, 10:53:04 PM
There is a hard-core minority who live a breath every minute of the day for the Club and GAA. There are like minded people in Soccer, Basketball, Rugby and so on.

In all these sports there are the passers through - Those who have kids involved, those who are still playing and those who are going through a phase of being involved in the club, following the county/National team. 

To most people in my community the GAA (local Rugby club, Soccer club) means very little. Most pass by the pitch, glance in and see activity. Some will think - that's nice.

They are virtually oblivious of what happens in the local club and some don't really care. Some of these still might support the County team and be sunshine supporters when the Club gets to a county final.

To me the GAA has meant different things at different stages of my life. All have been sporting related.

There is a lot of talk of what a GAA club does for the community, but in most cases it just offers the opportunity for young Girls and Boys to play sport. In the main that's all my local club does and does quiet well. And that's ok.

What club are you with out of interest? Your experience couldn't be anymore different to my relationship with GAA.

Rossfan

His is 90% of the general public's view.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Kidder81

Quote from: From the Bunker on August 25, 2023, 10:53:04 PM

What a miserable post

From the Bunker

Would you rather I lie and give a Marty Morrissey perspective?

Our Club is  solid and does a good job in general. If you are inside the bubble, you don't really see those outside it.

JimStynes

Quote from: Rossfan on August 26, 2023, 12:19:10 PM
His is 90% of the general public's view.

I really don't feel like it is like this in Ulster. Most national villages or parishes in the North have a very strong link (and in some cases an obsession) with their GAA club. GAA clubs can't be just compared along side the local soccer or rugby clubs. 

Rossfan

Whatever but in most of the rest of Ireland it's as Bunker says.
Especially so in towns.
Would even 5% of the population be members of GAA Clubs?

JimStynes

Quote from: Rossfan on August 26, 2023, 04:20:59 PM
Especially so in towns.

I often hear Colm Parkinson saying that the GAA in ulster is different to Southern Ireland. It's more of an obsession up here.

I've been to a few towns down south and GAA does feel more like a sports club than what we have up here. But at the same time GAA is surely still the main show in town! I wouldn't say is on a par with the local rugby and soccer clubs in the small towns and villages in Southern Ireland.

clarshack

Quote from: Rossfan on August 26, 2023, 04:20:59 PM
Especially so in towns.

Thought it would be more in the 10-15% range?

seafoid

In the North the GA A plays a role in identity that wouldn't be as important in the South. One of the things I like about the organisation  is local excellence. Every county has a team or two that  knows how to win. County teams that come back after a long absence to win. Leitrim's 3 Connacht titles. Generational families like the Cooneys and the Hopper McGraths.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Milltown Row2

Quote from: seafoid on August 26, 2023, 04:58:13 PM
In the North the GA A plays a role in identity that wouldn't be as important in the South. One of the things I like about the organisation  is local excellence. Every county has a team or two that  knows how to win. County teams that come back after a long absence to win. Leitrim's 3 Connacht titles. Generational families like the Cooneys and the Hopper McGraths.

The south have no identity to GAA?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

seafoid

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 26, 2023, 11:32:04 PM

It's different. It's far less political. More parochial and county. Politics are very different in the 2 jurisdictions as well, obviously.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Milltown Row2

Quote from: seafoid on August 27, 2023, 09:54:22 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 26, 2023, 11:32:04 PM

It's different. It's far less political. More parochial and county. Politics are very different in the 2 jurisdictions as well, obviously.

But when I got involved in GAA at primary school, I'd no idea of religion the country I lived in or the politics of the place, the sporting side and then club was just that, nothing more, it became a passion because I enjoyed it, not to make a statement..

It's never been political
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Rossfan

Not political?
In your then young mind maybe?
Did you go to a Catholic or  State school? Were there any local soccer or rugby clubs?
When did you notice they didn't play "God save.. " before County games or Antrim Co Finals?