Armagh next steps

Started by bennydorano, July 03, 2023, 10:37:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NormPeterson

Quote from: 5times5times on October 05, 2023, 10:17:20 AM
Quote from: trailer on October 05, 2023, 10:06:57 AMHe knows. Armagh have peaked. If he thought there was a serious chance of winning an USFC he'd have stayed.

Yes... peaked... While having a stronger panel this year than last.. Explain that one? ???

Armagh's closest competitor Derry also will have a stronger squad and a stronger managerial set up so they most likely won't win Ulster next year.

general_lee

Quote from: Armagh18 on October 07, 2023, 12:01:03 PM
Quote from: general_lee on October 07, 2023, 11:13:48 AM
Quote from: thewobbler on October 05, 2023, 09:50:23 AMIt's a blow to Armagh. Or at least it was when Armagh tried to occasionally counter attack at speed.

Where this could get interesting though is if it turns out that Jarly is not an outlier, but reflective of a spirit within the camp.
Doubt it. Truth be told it's not a major loss.
He was class last year against Donegal in the league but apart from that didn't have his best year. Spends too much time on the ground looking frees for my liking.
He's a good player but not what you'd call irreplaceable.

Armagh18

Quote from: general_lee on October 07, 2023, 03:18:58 PM
Quote from: Armagh18 on October 07, 2023, 12:01:03 PM
Quote from: general_lee on October 07, 2023, 11:13:48 AM
Quote from: thewobbler on October 05, 2023, 09:50:23 AMIt's a blow to Armagh. Or at least it was when Armagh tried to occasionally counter attack at speed.

Where this could get interesting though is if it turns out that Jarly is not an outlier, but reflective of a spirit within the camp.
Doubt it. Truth be told it's not a major loss.
He was class last year against Donegal in the league but apart from that didn't have his best year. Spends too much time on the ground looking frees for my liking.
He's a good player but not what you'd call irreplaceable.
TK, Oisin O'Neill and Ciaron O'Hanlon will all be back so plenty of talent to be added

ck

Quote from: NormPeterson on October 07, 2023, 03:01:41 PM
Quote from: trailer on October 05, 2023, 10:06:57 AMHe knows. Armagh have peaked. If he thought there was a serious chance of winning an USFC he'd have stayed.

Yes... peaked... While having a stronger panel this year than last.. Explain that one? ???

Armagh's closest competitor Derry also will have a stronger squad and a stronger managerial set up so they most likely won't win Ulster next year.

I would suggest that Tyrone will be closer this year. Add Donegal also.

Armagh18

Quote from: ck on October 07, 2023, 08:41:03 PM
Quote from: NormPeterson on October 07, 2023, 03:01:41 PM

I would suggest that Tyrone will be closer this year. Add Donegal also.
Yeah neither of them will be as bad as they were last year. Down will be better as well with those U20's having another year behind them.

tbrick18

For what it's worth, from the outside looking in to Armagh, Jarly Og was one of the better players.
Was one of the major reasons Armagh were so close to Derry in the Ulster final imo.
Very athletic and can run at a defence.

I don't know enough about the wider armagh panel, but I'd consider him a loss.

balladmaker

Jarly Og is definitely a loss, but not one that is irreplaceable, there are several who I think can seize the opportunity and step up next year.  Hopefully we will see Jarly in an Armagh jersey again in the future.

tonto1888

Quote from: tbrick18 on October 10, 2023, 10:42:49 AMFor what it's worth, from the outside looking in to Armagh, Jarly Og was one of the better players.
Was one of the major reasons Armagh were so close to Derry in the Ulster final imo.
Very athletic and can run at a defence.

I don't know enough about the wider armagh panel, but I'd consider him a loss.

he's a loss alright although a lot of the time he runs at a defence he runs down blind alleys and loses the ball or runs into contact and loses the ball

Ed Ricketts

Burns is a loss. Maybe not a definite starter, but his versatility meant he would be involved more often than not. Bit of a sense that we were still waiting to see the best from him.

Started out for Armagh at midfield, but drifted through a lot of games and eventually lost his place there. 

The move to the wing was inspired and he was very effective in 2022. Armagh got a lot of joy from his trademark charge down the left followed by a cut inside to take on a shot with his right. Or to win a free, which he was quite good at.

But opponents seemed to have that all figured out by 2023, and he was left charging down a lot of dead ends. Refs weren't as charitable to him either.

Maybe he figured now was a good time to step away and reset. Still young enough to come back and earn a starting place somewhere.
Doc would listen to any kind of nonsense and change it for you to a kind of wisdom.

Wildweasel74

Could be worse, just after watching Armagh v Tyrone 1984, That was a very poor Armagh Team. Big Midfielder Fran McMahon the only stand out for Armagh. Frank McGuigan was unreal that day, as was Eugene McKenna.

armaghniac

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on October 11, 2023, 10:40:56 PMCould be worse, just after watching Armagh v Tyrone 1984, That was a very poor Armagh Team. Big Midfielder Fran McMahon the only stand out for Armagh. Frank McGuigan was unreal that day, as was Eugene McKenna.

Fran was a fine player
https://www.irishnews.com/sport/gaafootball/2020/09/19/news/made-in-culloville-the-life-and-times-of-chicago-based-former-armagh-ulster-and-ireland-star-fran-mcmahon-2071467/
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

tonto1888

Quote from: armaghniac on October 12, 2023, 11:00:09 AM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on October 11, 2023, 10:40:56 PMCould be worse, just after watching Armagh v Tyrone 1984, That was a very poor Armagh Team. Big Midfielder Fran McMahon the only stand out for Armagh. Frank McGuigan was unreal that day, as was Eugene McKenna.

Fran was a fine player
https://www.irishnews.com/sport/gaafootball/2020/09/19/news/made-in-culloville-the-life-and-times-of-chicago-based-former-armagh-ulster-and-ireland-star-fran-mcmahon-2071467/

a gentleman also