Tips wanted for running a U6s Gaelic Football session

Started by thebackbar1, April 16, 2023, 11:45:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thebackbar1

Hello,

i've previously coached at underage level, mainly u14,u16.
Recently I've started with my young lad at u6s. Im looking for tips for running a u6s session, obviously the main goal has to be enjoyment for the kids. There is some difference between some of the kids who can nearly kick with both feet and other kids who can barely pick the ball off the ground. We have circa 30 kids at u6 ! so crowd control is a factor !

marty34

Quote from: thebackbar1 on April 16, 2023, 11:45:43 AM
Hello,

Recently I've started with my young lad at u6s. Im looking for tips for running a u6s session, obviously the main goal has to be enjoyment for the kids. There is some difference between some of the kids who can nearly kick with both feet and other kids who can barely pick the ball off the ground. We have circa 30 kids at u6 ! so crowd control is a factor !

Fun and organised chaos.

Rudi

Quote from: marty34 on April 16, 2023, 11:59:44 AM
Quote from: thebackbar1 on April 16, 2023, 11:45:43 AM
Hello,

Fun and organised chaos.

Tis fun & organised chaos. Tis like herding cats ;D.

Plenty of fun, heaps of not to serious coaches. No shouting, as long as the kids aren't battering each other, let them be. Games of tag, foxes & hens, plenty of unstructured running.
Dont forgot the odd ice cream van.

Itchy

Soft balls, rice bags, don't even try play a game off gaa just do fun games. You'll need an adult per 5 or 6 kids.

Captain Scarlet

100%. Bean bags into buckets. There is a kind of parachute thing we used before where they shake to keep the bean bags on it.
Just working on co-ordination and craic. Throwing the ball to each other and the like. Picking a ball off cones - relays of that.

I was doing a bit of reffing where a coach (best intentions and all that) was trying to introduce a dummy solo to an U7 eam at half time. The poor crayturs couldn't kick it!

One thing you see a lot of at that very young age is the stop when they hot traffic and they try this hook kick that isn't easy at any level. Not sure if anyone has ideas to stop that?
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

blanketattack

May as well get them ready for the future - just practice hand passing it around for 2 minutes, before the guy with the best kick attempt a score

screenexile

Duck Duck Goose is a good one. Obstacle course relay (not too many in each team you want to keep time standing at a cone to the bare minimum). Robbing the nest is a good one and then freeze tag with kids having to leapfrog to get back in the game etc.

We try and do different stations and a skill at every second one nearly. We introduce a bit of bubble ball after a few weeks when they've got a bit of a handle on some of the skills.

Each to their own but I think the biggest problem is expectation, some coaches set expectations of what they want to achieve with the kids when really they're under 6 and most lads I know didn't have any organised training until U12.

There's lots and lots of time if you can get them to enjoy it and make good friends that will go a long way to them wanting to keep playing and to take enough of an interest to improve as they move up through the age groups.

Nanderson

Quote from: blanketattack on April 16, 2023, 06:58:32 PM
May as well get them ready for the future - just practice hand passing it around for 2 minutes, before the guy with the best kick attempt a score
is u6 too young to start bulking and gym work?

laceer

Handstands, looking at worms on the pitch, bulldog, free play, hula hoops, obstacle courses. Get them laughing and carrying on and they'll want to come back the next week. Keep it good craic for them and yourself.

thebackbar1

Thanks to everyone who replied !

I presume then you wouldn't try a game at the end of the session ? normally the game is something closer to rugby/american football

Itchy

Quote from: thebackbar1 on April 16, 2023, 08:53:23 PM

I presume then you wouldn't try a game at the end of the session ? normally the game is something closer to rugby/american football

I wouldn't. Too young.

screenexile

You could try the bubble thing after a month or so but if you just let them at it then 10 lads just crowd around the ball carrier.

tyrone08

Quote from: Itchy on April 16, 2023, 10:09:32 PM

I wouldn't. Too young.

Funny how different clubs do it. I know a number of different clubs who regularly organise u6 5 matches. Some of the young players are great at that age. But as said before it's about getting everyone involved and keeping them engaged.

trailer

Quote from: Itchy on April 16, 2023, 10:09:32 PM

I wouldn't. Too young.

Agree 1000%

thebackbar1

Quote from: screenexile on April 16, 2023, 10:19:18 PM

You could try the bubble thing after a month or so but if you just let them at it then 10 lads just crowd around the ball carrier.

sorry but how to you play bubble ball ?

also would you give a heads up to parents on new games you plan to play at the session ? ie so they could show their kid a video of the game before they arrive ?