Leinster SFC Westmeath V Longford

Started by AN other, May 08, 2007, 09:42:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mentalman

Quote from: AN other on July 09, 2007, 01:59:40 PM
Martin Flanagan was the big difference between Saturday and May 13.
Mentleman, you're spot on about Flanagan getting clipped. You could instantly see him upping it a bit and really getting into the game. A class performance, man of the match without a doubt. He'd be some player, capable of matching any midfielder in the country, if he could produce half that level of performance consistenly.
Glennon was probably the second best performer on the day, seems to have recaptured some of his 2004 form.
Connellan should be on the team ahead of Mangan and should have been replaced alot earlier. I thought that Mangan might have played well following his opening point but he faded into oblivion. O'Flaherta's always been a fan of Mangan though, so he'll probably start against Donegal.
The defence were efficient without actually performing to the full of their ability. There's plenty more in Keane, Healy, Ennis and O'Donoghue, but then again, they did little wrong.
I really don't know what to make of our chances of progressing to a reasonable stage of the championship this year with performances being so erratic since the start of the league.

That little dig got Flan moving alright, unlike the last day out when he disappeared after he was caught. Some lad it has to be said, don't think he's the all action razzle dazzle merchant of a few years back, but can more the hold his own when motivated. And only one person can motivate him - himself.

Right there with ya, think Mangan will start the next day. I mean if O'Flaherta could watch him all the way through two insipid championship performances like that, well he's not going to try to change course midstream is he? Maybe he's waiting for that piece of magic Buddha is capable of? We've all seen it at club level, and occasionally for the county in patches.

Definitely hard to predict what could happen next week. In the context of the draw, Donegal definitely would be seen as one of the teams a lot was expected from this year, and would be unlikely to give a performance like Longfords, and Westmeath definitely do have lots of room to improve. Still, I think you'd have to be honest and say, while Westmeath would respect Donegal, they wouldn't have the same hangups about them as they do Meath for instance. We've had some tight league games in recent times, so they might feel with home advantage they can give them a game.
"Mr Treehorn treats objects like women man."

AN other

Forgot to give John Smith a bit of credit. I haven't been an admirer of his, but his last two championship performances have been very effective, he seen some amount of ball on Saturday evening.
Billy's very quiet this week, he must be feeling a bit humiliated at the "natural order of things being restored" so comprehensively!!!

Mentalman

Quote from: AN other on July 10, 2007, 10:00:06 AM
Forgot to give John Smith a bit of credit. I haven't been an admirer of his, but his last two championship performances have been very effective, he seen some amount of ball on Saturday evening.
Billy's very quiet this week, he must be feeling a bit humiliated at the "natural order of things being restored" so comprehensively!!!

Ah, being magnanimous, it's honours even for the year, one a piece :)
"Mr Treehorn treats objects like women man."

Billys Boots

I'm still here!  ;)

And the natural order is restored - Longford accept that they're not good enough this year, and are content to regroup and finish their club championship; the plebs continue to root around in the mire of a secondary competition, unable to accept their place in the world until they get another drubbing.   :P
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Croí na hÉireann

Would echo most of the earlier comments on here, Flan rolled back the years in the center, hasn't played like that since the 2nd half of the Eastmeath game in 03, hopefully he maintains that controlled agression for the visit of Donegal on Saturday. Duffy did well beside him and is another option at midfield along with Flan, Shaugho, Bannon and Gary Dolan. Whilst Flan is a hell of a forward on his day none of the other four can play anywhere else, which is frustrating to say the least.

Delighted to reaffirm our position with our neighbours, void of a wind tunnel, slipping or dropping balls. Cusack Park certainly helped us as well and whilst I haven't played on it in years it used to be like a carpet and still looks in great nick, credit to the groundsmen.

Glennon had a good game too and along with his first half the previous day it looks like he's capturing a bit of form, he'll need it for Saturday. Took his points well, took the right option most times, needs to keep the ball low when through on goal, never mind the power, keep er low and accurate. Dessie destroyed the corner backs to such an extent that they were booked and ticked soon after moving on him, and rightly so. He may not have scored from play but was more or less flawless elsewhere. Budda was brutal again, would like to think that if it was a close game he would have been taken off earlier, needs a good kick up the hole a la Marooned before Saturday. Gary Dolan is not suited to full forward, although he can pop up with a goal now and again, I'd move him out to half forward. Willo kicked some fine frees in the first half and was sent off for nothing. First half incident was the far side of the pitch but second booking was a joke, television confirms this. Well done John Smyth, you put your body on the line (something we've been lacking), that bit of agression and workrate in the forwards could be just what we're missing, well able to take a point too. Connellan looked good when he came on, will get better with the years. Duffy complemented Flan well in the middle, did the simple things well, will have to up it physically if he starts against Donegal the next day.

Of the backs, I though Heals was superb, did a great job on Kavanagh, will be a massive loss the next day if he's gone. JK showed glimpses of the JK of old and the rest of the defenders held possession well. Nachie looked a bit weary at times which is unusual for him. Some save by Connaughton at the end, great to see him out the field stoking up the forwards fire again  :D

All in all it was an encouraging performance but more will be needed for Donegal, the biggest championship game in Cusack Park for years...
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Billys Boots

Quotevoid of a wind tunnel

Jaysus, is that now the official excuse from the bottom of the genetic pile?  ::)
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Billys Boots on July 10, 2007, 01:25:04 PM
Quotevoid of a wind tunnel

Jaysus, is that now the official excuse from the bottom of the genetic pile?  ::)

Jaysus, that's some bite there Billy, make sure you chew thoroughly before swallowing  ;D
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...