Leinster SFC Westmeath V Longford

Started by AN other, May 08, 2007, 09:42:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AN other

Having aquired my ticket for this championsip opener I feel it is time to start this one, starting with asking any of the Longford posters do they know where section P is in the ground???

Nationally, this isn't a high profile game, but I don't think anybody from Westmeath or Longford is expecting anything but a fast and furious, high tempo game.
If Westmeath can produce some of their earlier league form I expect us to win this one, but also feel it is equally as likely that we will see a game of similar nature to the Louth one in Dundalk in March.
O'Flaherta's team could make for interesting reading. For me, if both fully fit, it should be Flanagan and O'Shaughnessey in the middle, with Healy playing in the half back line. The other 5 defenders virtually pick themselves, i.e. Keane, Ennis, Boyle, Heavin and O'Donoghue. Connaughton in goals, of course...
It's a bit of a cliche, but.... this game is likely to be won and lost on the performance of Dolan if fit. From my recollection (I'm open to correction) Pearse Park is tight enough and won't suit the likes of Glennon, Connellon, Mangan and Wilson, who are all likely to feature in attact at some stage. Although Dempsey's teams do have a habit of being a bit pourous... I imagine I will be happy enough with O'Flaherta's team as long as I don't see John Smyth on the starting 15...

The Real Laoislad

I have a big interest in the outcome of this match as the winners play Laois
Longford had a great championship last year and Westmeath getting to the All Ireland 1/4 will always remain a mystery to me
This Westmeath started on fire but went out of the League campaign tame enough in the end
It's hard to call it too be honest but sticking my neck on the line im gonna go with  Longford to win
You'll Never Walk Alone.

LaurelEye

Quote from: AN other
Having aquired my ticket for this championsip opener I feel it is time to start this one, starting with asking any of the Longford posters do they know where section P is in the ground???

If it's a €20 ticket, then it's somewhere in the stand. It's not that big so I wouldn't worry about getting lost  ;D
Leader Cup winners: 1945, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2021, 2023.

Billys Boots

The P-section used to be in the bushes at the back of the stand, but we have full WC facilities now.  :)
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

lynchbhoy

this game is on the telly
should be good
Think Longford have the edge - though heard they were not going so well in challenges recently

Looking forward to this.

Hardy

Excuse the laziness, but can anyone find the RTÉ schedule of televised games that was posted here a while ago?

turk

This could potentially be an excellent kick off to the championship! I am looking forward to it

gerrykeegan

Very worried about this one. I think Luke has a point to prove and will have The Slashers really fired up.I will have the Sky plus set to record any controversial incidents. Any word on Dessie's injury. Billy how long door to door Dublin to Longford?
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

Billys Boots

QuoteBilly how long door to door Dublin to Longford?

On a 'normal day' if you go through the toll-bridge, you should make Longford in 70-80 mins from then.  Last year, the Jackeen experience meant that there were significant delays from Edgerstown, and throw-in was delayed by 15 mins (I think).  I don't know how ticket sales are going (Laureleye???), but I'd imagine there won't be a 15,000 attendance on Sunday.

Short answer, give yerself 2 hours from the toll-bridge, but don't blame me if you're late.

Maroon Heaven

Come on Dessie Dolan. Give me another Leinster before I am 40.

This is for you Dessie http://dessie%20dolan.youaremighty.com/

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on May 08, 2007, 10:22:21 PMLongford had a great championship last year and Westmeath getting to the All Ireland 1/4 will always remain a mystery to me

How so?

From Hoganstand:

Longford v Westmeath

They meet for the first time in the Leinster championship since 1999 in what will be their 24th meeting overall. Longford lead 12-8 with three draws. Westmeath finished fifth in Division 1B of this year's NFL, winning three and losing four of seven games. Longford finished third in Division 2B winning three, losing three and drawing one of their seven games. The winners will play Laois on June 2.

Last 10 SFC Clashes - Longford 6 Westmeath 4

1999  Westmeath         3-17        Longford         2-9
1998  Westmeath        3-14        Longford         1-13
1990  Longford         0-15        Westmeath         0-7
1988  Longford        1-11        Westmeath        0-7
1981  Westmeath         3-10         Longford         1-10
1964  Westmeath        0-12        Longford         0-8
1963  Longford         3-8         Westmeath         1-6
1961  Longford         3-10         Westmeath         0-8
1959  Longford         4-3        Westmeath         0-10
1957  Longford         1-10         Westmeath         0-6 (replay)

Last years matches
Longford - Played 5, Won 3 Lost 2.

Dublin         1-12         Longford         0-13 (Leinster quarter-final)
Longford         1-16         Waterford         1-9   (Round 1 qualifier)
Longford         1-23         Waterford         1-10 (Round 2 qualifier)
Longford         1-16         Derry                 2-12 (Round 3 qualifier)
Kerry                 4-11         Longford         1-11 (Round 4 qualifier)

Westmeath - Played 6, Won 4, Lost 2.

Offaly                 0-15         Westmeath         0-11 (Leinster 1st round)
Westmeath         0-20         London         0-8 (Round 1 qualifier)
Westmeath         0-13         Limerick         1-9 (Round 2 qualifier)
Westmeath         1-12         Sligo                 0-14 (Round 3 qualifier)
Westmeath         1-8         Galway         0-10 (Round 4 qualifier)
Dublin         1-12         Westmeath         0-5 (All-Ireland quarter-final)

Shocking record against the Slashers, will have to put that right on Sunday. Hopefully our 1 to 9 outlined by AN above are fit and well along with Desmond. If so I'd have JK on Kavanagh and Nachie on Barden. It's good that the other Barden is available to play, correct decision made IMHO. I'd throw Gary Dolan and Bannon into the forwards to act as workhorses although Bannon would want to vastly improve on his last outing at wing forward.

I hope O'Flaherta has an impact sub waiting in the wings as I've a feeling we might need one...
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Longfordian

the Slashers ????...... I presume thats a tongue in cheek remark ....as I take great offence being referred to as a townie !!!  :D

LaurelEye

Quote from: Billys BootsI don't know how ticket sales are going (Laureleye???), but I'd imagine there won't be a 15,000 attendance on Sunday.

According to ShannonShite, the stand is already sold out.

But that may be in case of rain being forecast.

Probable team now that The Clonguish One has been reprieved:

Sheridan; Brady, Masterson, DC Reilly; S Mulligan, Hannify, Dowd; Keenan, McElvaney; Smullen, P Barden, Berry; D Barden, K Mulligan, Kavanagh.
Leader Cup winners: 1945, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2021, 2023.

LaurelEye

Quote from: Longfordianthe Slashers ????...... I presume thats a tongue in cheek remark ....as I take great offence being referred to as a townie !!!  :D

Yis are now officially the second-biggest town in Longford, having passed out Granard.

Townies is what yis are :P

Billys Boots

I'm loathe to predict, as neither team has a run of form behind them, though there have been some enthralling contests in the recent past.  Recent meetings, to my eye, have been either: (a) easy wins for the neighbours, or (b) close fought affairs with Longford wins.  Sunday could be either.  Or something else entirely.  Who the f**k knows?

The Mini-metropolitans have traditionally been very good from 2-7, and Longford have traditionally been better from 10-15.  WH have won easily on days when the Longford backs have been poor, Longford have won when the WH midfield haven't been up to scratch.  For me, questions still remain in relation to Longford's ability to defend, and WH's ability to take their scores.  Midfield is more even than it ever was, with O'Connell's departure, Flanagan's aging, Keenan's maturity and McElvaney's emergence.

Prediction: One of them, by a point.  Hopefully, Longford.  :-\