Will you get a Covid vaccine if one becomes available in 2021?

Started by Angelo, October 22, 2020, 10:36:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will you get a Covid vaccine if one becomes available in 2021?

Yes
122 (71.8%)
No
48 (28.2%)

Total Members Voted: 170

thebigfella

Quote from: Angelo on January 15, 2021, 06:59:48 PM
Quote from: thebigfella on January 15, 2021, 06:46:10 PM
Quote from: Angelo on January 15, 2021, 06:34:35 PM
Quote from: PadraicHenryPearse on January 15, 2021, 06:02:17 PM
Quote from: Angelo on January 15, 2021, 05:51:09 PM
Quote from: PadraicHenryPearse on January 15, 2021, 04:52:04 PM
Quote from: Angelo on January 15, 2021, 04:20:04 PM
Quote from: PadraicHenryPearse on January 15, 2021, 04:08:57 PM
i didnt say any of that..what was your motivation for sharing that article? :)

That vaccines might be utterly worthless if they are killing off the only demograph at risk of Covid.

They are not the only demographic at risk of covid. They are the demographic with the highest mortality rate..

i just found it strange that you spent months asking how many people died of covid and how many died with it and that wasnt the first quetion you asked about the vaccines info.

the number one cause of death is being born..

Look at the statistics of deaths from Covid. If you're under 65 years of age and have no underlying health issues then you are as likely to die from getting Covid as you are from hopping behind the wheel of a car and doing a 40 mile round trip.

That not what the post i responded too stated. i would also question the equivalence of covid to a 40 mile roind trip.

Covid has a fatality rate in the following demographs of:

0-19 - 0.008% (8 in every 100,000 positive cases)
20-39 - 0.006% (6 in every 100,000 positive cases)
40-59 - 0.03% (3 in every 1,000 positive cases)

Covid is well down the list in the causes of deaths to over half the population. Road traffic accidents are the cause of more deaths in those age groups every year.

So what do we do about road traffic deaths? Should we stop people from driving? Chip cars to stop them doing over 20mph on the roads?

Or do we just go - "ah deaths will happen but we will just get on with it".

Who knew road traffic accidents were contagious? Not only that but rate of accident growth was exponential?

Ah the old false equivalence play.

They are a lot more fatal than Covid is for under 60s.

So why not save lives by either banning people from driving of chipping cars not to exceed 20mph?

I'll repeat, the road accidents are not contagious.

armaghniac

Roads are a perfect example. Since I learned to drive, road deaths per Km have been reduced to about one tenth of what they were. Because people follow the rules and keep their distance etc. Covid is the same, deaths cannot be reduced to zero, but they can be greatly reduced.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Angelo

Quote from: thebigfella on January 15, 2021, 08:08:10 PM

That vaccines might be utterly worthless if they are killing off the only demograph at risk of Covid.

They are not the only demographic at risk of covid. They are the demographic with the highest mortality rate..

i just found it strange that you spent months asking how many people died of covid and how many died with it and that wasnt the first quetion you asked about the vaccines info.

Look at the statistics of deaths from Covid. If you're under 65 years of age and have no underlying health issues then you are as likely to die from getting Covid as you are from hopping behind the wheel of a car and doing a 40 mile round trip.

That not what the post i responded too stated. i would also question the equivalence of covid to a 40 mile roind trip.

Covid is well down the list in the causes of deaths to over half the population. Road traffic accidents are the cause of more deaths in those age groups every year.

So what do we do about road traffic deaths? Should we stop people from driving? Chip cars to stop them doing over 20mph on the roads?

Who knew road traffic accidents were contagious? Not only that but rate of accident growth was exponential?

So why not save lives by either banning people from driving of chipping cars not to exceed 20mph?

So deaths have nothing to do with this?

We are doing this to stop people getting mild illness?

Should we stop people driving cares to stop people breaking bones, being paralysed, destroying the planet?
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Angelo

Quote from: armaghniac on January 15, 2021, 08:31:11 PM
Roads are a perfect example. Since I learned to drive, road deaths per Km have been reduced to about one tenth of what they were. Because people follow the rules and keep their distance etc. Covid is the same, deaths cannot be reduced to zero, but they can be greatly reduced.

More fit and healthy u40s killed from road traffic accidents in 2019 than u40s killed of Covid in 2020.

thebigfella

Quote from: Angelo on January 15, 2021, 09:15:13 PM
Quote from: thebigfella on January 15, 2021, 08:08:10 PM

So deaths have nothing to do with this?

We are doing this to stop people getting mild illness?

Should we stop people driving cares to stop people breaking bones, being paralysed, destroying the planet?

Road accidents are not contagious. You keep peddling this false equivalence.

Angelo

Quote from: thebigfella on January 15, 2021, 09:25:21 PM

So you keep repeating. Nobody is arguing that with you, so we heard you the first time.

Road traffic accidents do kill though, they kill fit and healthy u40s in multiples of the amount Covid does but we accept that right?

It's fine to die by road traffic accidents, acceptable to die of flue, ok to die via a syringe of a vaccine from a big pharma company but not Covid.

thebigfella

Quote from: Angelo on January 15, 2021, 09:30:53 PM

So you keep repeating. Nobody is arguing that with you, so we heard you the first time.

Road traffic accidents do kill though, they kill fit and healthy u40s in multiples of the amount Covid does but we accept that right?

It's fine to die by road traffic accidents, acceptable to die of flue, ok to die via a syringe of a vaccine from a big pharma company but not Covid.

Again road accidents are not contagious. What do you not get? It's a false equivalence trying to compare deaths.

Tony Baloney

FYI road accidents account for about 2000 people per annum in the UK. Not per day, per annum. And nobody said it was okay to die in road accidents - the numbers are down significantly compared to years ago due to the advent of car safety measures etc. And as bigfella says they aren't contagious. NEXT!

PadraicHenryPearse

Quote from: Angelo on January 15, 2021, 09:30:53 PM

you replied to everyone else but my questions.. curious

we have put in places rules that has reduced road deaths and increased the safety of cars, roads and footpaths. Over time more and more people have adhered to those rules and deaths reduced.

a flu vaccine has been created and there is more and more awareness every year of the availabilty of a vaccine, take up of the vaccine and hygiene. i think hygiene standards will really improve after last year.

covid we had nothing only increased public awarenss of hygiene and social distancing.  That wasn't enough so more drastic measures were required with lockdowns and then increased restrictions. (lockdowns worked much better than selective restrictions in reducing covid levels.) now we have the vaccine.

If the vaccine works, we will open up again, people attitudes to face masks and hand hygiene etc. will probably continue, more people might take the flu vaccine, WFH will reduce overcrowding on public transport but maybe less people will take it, more cycling, walking and running to work etc. social distancing in a way.

lockdowns and restrictions are now also part of the toolkit and i wouldnt be surprised if there are seasonal viruses in the future that put pressure on health services that these measures.would be used to protect lives.

Milltown Row2

The title of the thread is will you get a vaccine becomes available 2021, it came in 2020 and 99% of the vulnerable will have it by Feb 21.

Fantastic

Well done scientists, real actual experts in their field.

Hats of to those who know what they are talking about
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

restorepride

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 15, 2021, 10:33:32 PM
The title of the thread is will you get a vaccine becomes available 2021, it came in 2020 and 99% of the vulnerable will have it by Feb 21.

Fantastic

Well done scientists, real actual experts in their field.

Hats of to those who know what they are talking about
Well said.  As someone who is shielding again, I can't wait for the vaccine.

armaghniac

The multiple vaccines is a great achievement. There are still no really good simple tests and there hasn't been that much movement on the treatment front, it wasn't obvious that vaccines would win out first.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Angelo

Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 15, 2021, 09:50:10 PM
FYI road accidents account for about 2000 people per annum in the UK. Not per day, per annum. And nobody said it was okay to die in road accidents - the numbers are down significantly compared to years ago due to the advent of car safety measures etc. And as bigfella says they aren't contagious. NEXT!

Road traffic accidents are a much bigger threat to under 40s and people without any underlying health issues than Covid. Why aren't we protecting this demograph from something that kills them?

Why are road traffic deaths acceptable?
Why are deaths from heart disease acceptable?
Why are death from flu acceptable?
Why are deaths from Covid not acceptable?
Why are deaths from a vaccine acceptable?

Angelo

Rossfan, dublin7 and Milltown conspicuous in their silence.

I suppose while it's not ok for Covid to kill an old person, it is ok for a vaccine rushed through production and approved in record time to kill them off.