NFL Division 1

Started by macdanger2, January 26, 2016, 10:48:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

macdanger2

Don't think there's a thread for this yet. Most teams will be happy enough to stay up and discover a couple of players, you could see from the league semis last year that there wasn't much interest in winning it. How many teams with new mangers, four? - Mayo, Cork, Roscommon & Down.

Odds for winning it outright:
Dublin - evens
Mayo - 9/2
Cork - 5/1
Kerry - 15/2
Donegal - 9/1
Monaghan - 11/1
Roscommon - 20/1
Down - 33/1

For relegation:
Down - 1/3
Roscommon - 11/8
Monaghan - 7/4
Donegal - 11/4
Kerry - 3/1
Cork - 7/2
Mayo - 11/2
Dublin - 28/1

It'll be a big step up for the two newcomers as reflected by the odds.

Monaghan to win it @ 11s seems like best value as does Mayo @ 11/2 for relegation considering our injury list although I'd hope we'll have enough to stay up.

I'll go with down and cork to be relegated and Dublin to beat monaghan in the final

Syferus

Ros-Monaghan should be as hard to call as the 10/11 and 11/10 odds suggest. Wouldn't be looking to make money on that one.

From the Bunker

Put your money on Dublin to win it again.  Can't beat having home venue for semi and final.

Johnnybegood

Quote from: From the Bunker on January 26, 2016, 11:01:29 PM
Put your money on Dublin to win it again.  Can't beat having home venue for semi and final.
its no wonder Mayo win nothing with the home venue defeatist attitude. Both semi finals last year Mayo had as many supporters as Dublin rendering croker a neutral venue. A tired argument coming from a supporter clutching at straws. At this stage Mayo know croker well enough, they don't win coz they ain't good enough! Dublin simply the best team in the land, hammered Mayo last year in Mc Hale park! Good forwards put the ball over the bar, Aidan O Se Mayos best is a great player against the Sligos and Roscommons of this world but when it comes to crunch on big days he's crap,  where Mayo to play Dublin 20 times on a good inter county pitch anywhere in the country Dublin would win 18 times. Better players better tactics better attitude better team.

Farrandeelin

Hard to know how Mayo will do. Especially in the first two games. I unlike everyone else would like to see Mayo win the league.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: Johnnybegood on January 27, 2016, 06:58:55 AM
its no wonder Mayo win nothing with the home venue defeatist attitude. Both semi finals last year Mayo had as many supporters as Dublin rendering croker a neutral venue. A tired argument coming from a supporter clutching at straws. At this stage Mayo know croker well enough, they don't win coz they ain't good enough! Dublin simply the best team in the land, hammered Mayo last year in Mc Hale park! Good forwards put the ball over the bar, Aidan O Se Mayos best is a great player against the Sligos and Roscommons of this world but when it comes to crunch on big days he's crap,  where Mayo to play Dublin 20 times on a good inter county pitch anywhere in the country Dublin would win 18 times. Better players better tactics better attitude better team.
Better grammar.
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Johnnybegood

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on January 27, 2016, 08:45:44 AM
Quote from: Johnnybegood on January 27, 2016, 06:58:55 AM
Better grammar.
good grammar must be worth at least 2 or 3 points per game 😉,
The way for Mayo to win is eight defenders, parsons and oSe junior in mf, oSe senior at ff flanked by 2 pacey players with one roving cf,

Croí na hÉireann

I think Cork will do well in the league this year, good squad, new management, point to prove. Dubs still the favourite of course. Expect Roscommon and Down to get relegated but it wouldn't be a major shock if Kerry, Donegal or Monaghan slipped down the last day.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

The Aristocrat

The crying game has started all ready and the excuses are being rolled out, no surprise coming from Mayo fans.

Beffs

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on January 27, 2016, 10:34:56 AM
I think Cork will do well in the league this year, good squad, new management, point to prove. Dubs still the favourite of course. Expect Roscommon and Down to get relegated but it wouldn't be a major shock if Kerry, Donegal or Monaghan slipped down the last day.

Cork seem to do well in the league every year. Didn't they win it for three years in a row, before the Dubs current run of form? And if they don't win it, they make the semi final or final, at least. They (or Dublin) probably have the best Div 1 record this decade. Doesn't seem to matter much, when their Munster champo games with Kerry rolls around, or in their champo games after that.

Maybe their league success (against teams that are not taking the league seriously, or who are resting their big names) is giving them a false impression of how good they really are, or aren't.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Beffs on January 27, 2016, 02:44:11 PM
Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on January 27, 2016, 10:34:56 AM

Cork seem to do well in the league every year. Didn't they win it for three years in a row, before the Dubs current run of form? And if they don't win it, they make the semi final or final, at least. They (or Dublin) probably have the best Div 1 record this decade. Doesn't seem to matter much, when their Munster champo games with Kerry rolls around, or in their champo games after that.

Maybe their league success (against teams that are not taking the league seriously, or who are resting their big names) is giving them a false impression of how good they really are, or aren't.

They sure did, said it in relation to some tipping them for relegation. One good kick in the stones (like the one they got off the Dubs in the league final last year or the last min equaliser in Killarney) really seems to knock them off their stride. More mental fortitude needed.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Cunny Funt

I think Mayo will win the league. The injury list is not as bad as the media make out and up to 11 starters from their last championship game could line out in Cork on Sunday. A league title straight away for Rochford will show he means business.

Dublin could take a relax approach to the league this year and it wouldnt surprise me if they miss out on a semi final spot. Down and Roscommon have done great to rise to div one but I think the bookies will be spot on and it will be a short visit to div one for both.

Rossfan

I'd say we won't even be able to keep the ball kicked out to the 7 superteams :-[
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Beffs

Quote from: Cunny Funt on January 27, 2016, 02:57:17 PM
I think Mayo will win the league. The injury list is not as bad as the media make out and up to 11 starters from their last championship game could line out in Cork on Sunday. A league title straight away for Rochford will show he means business.

Dublin could take a relax approach to the league this year and it wouldnt surprise me if they miss out on a semi final spot. Down and Roscommon have done great to rise to div one but I think the bookies will be spot on and it will be a short visit to div one for both.

Why would they take a relaxed approach to this years league, when they haven't exactly been sitting on their arse for their previous 3 league campaigns under Jim Gavin? He had a very strong team lining out against Longford. It had about half of the team that started in the AI final on it. If he's doing that for the lowly O'Byrne Cup, I doubt if he is going to try and take it handy during the league.

There is a lot of competition for places in that squad too, especially among the forwards. So I'd say a lot of them will be up for laying down a marker, when it comes to hanging onto their jerseys, or nabbing someone elses.

larryin89

Very hard to know but id go for Dublin, Cork, Mayo and Monaghan to be semi finalists with Down and Roscommon to get relegated maybe . A lot of roscommons league campaign will hinge on Sunday's result imo. Same could be said for Mayo and our first two games , two wins I'd fancy our chances ,gather momentum and confidence ,maybe even win it but two defeats and we could struggle to survive .
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .