NFL Division 1

Started by macdanger2, January 26, 2016, 10:48:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farrandeelin

Quote from: larryin89 on January 28, 2016, 08:35:46 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on January 28, 2016, 08:02:19 PM
No it's not.
I hope we can stay up but if we don't so be it.
It's all about what happens after May day.

Well I'd have to disagree with you there sir . If relegated , Nestor cup becomes your only way to salvage progression and that sir is not going to happen imho as Mayo will walk Connacht once again but sure it's all about difference of opinion . I'd be interested to hear your take though if that were to happen , let's say worst case scenario , relegation, heavy defeat to ourselves in cf and an exit in qualifying rd , would you then begin to question the ability and expectations of this current crop of Roscommon footballers ?
I just don't get the whole vibe about Roscommon , most people would say my worst case scenario example above is not going to happen but on the flip side of that , the betting forecast would suggest that's not  quite favourite but very near it . Roscommon are at a very important crossroads in their development as a team , you have to see the fruits of it soon or you'll see another false dawn very quick.

Everything is about timeline with these development plans , Ros are depending on factors they don't control as such like the demise of Mayo as quite clearly suggested by John Evans last year , Galway seem to be forgotten (why I'll never understand) . Then you have the fact your experienced players have no experience of winning to lend to the youth coming through (which I admit look very decent but unproven at top level yet) . Interesting times ahead for sure, I won't lie I will be looking to see how Ros get on with interest but I still don't feel like I'm looking over my shoulder yet .

Ps. I don't gloss over the rivalry like your bullshit GAA supporter , I hope Ye get stuffed on Sunday. 😄

Perhaps you don't but you talk enough about them to be fair, like the rest of your post.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Syferus on January 28, 2016, 09:04:46 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on January 28, 2016, 08:54:22 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on January 28, 2016, 08:11:10 PM
The Dubs to win another league title because their strength in depth is way ahead of the rest. Would be a bold prediction to say Down or Roscommon will avoid relegation.

I think it's now time to scrap the semi finals for a group eight.

Scrap Semi and Final altogether. Table topper is Champion. The Semi-finals and finals have been awful the last couple of years. Most semifinalists don't want to make final against Dublin as they know they will get a hiding. Donegal and Mayo being prime examples in 2015 and 2014 respectively.

The D2 final was mighty last year 8). D1 final not so much because Cork had absolutely no conviction they could win going in. Monaghan gave Dublin a real rattle in the semi sure.

Top two playing each other may be better in D1, but honestly the semis give the chance of a new team getting a run at a league title. You tend to need massive depth to be in the top two of D1. No way the semis should be at Croker though, maybe neutral venues or home advantage to the top two?

The Answer is Corporate Boxes! My wife who is an Accountant - Tells me this every time there is a game in Croker. One of her Clients has a Corporate Box. It would scare you the price of one of them plus the extras!

larryin89

Div one thread, they are in it , plus I was replying to flynns article which was put up firstly and then replying to someone who replied to that comment all about Roscommon.

Anyway wtf am I explaining to you for ,go and get fooked like .
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Owenmoresider

Quote from: From the Bunker on January 27, 2016, 08:59:07 PM
The league is a strange animal. Everybody want to be at the top table. To win the league you have to be better in second gear than 4 teams 3 wins can some times get you there. Dublin will win it. They will do enough to sneak in. Mayo/Kerry/Cork/Donegal won't care bar staying up. Last year Donegal just fulfilled the semi final fixture. They had no heed on it. Mayo were the same the year before. I think both qualified trying to avoid relegation. Poor Eugene McGee nearly had a banana saying Derry could teach Mayo a lot after they defeated Mayo in 2014. And he was right they taught us that you can invest to much into the league. Derry went out to Longford in the championship.
Surely it was Mayo who first taught that lesson to others  :P

Rossfan

Quote from: Owenmoresider on January 28, 2016, 11:34:30 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on January 27, 2016, 08:59:07 PM
The league is a strange animal. Everybody want to be at the top table. To win the league you have to be better in second gear than 4 teams 3 wins can some times get you there. Dublin will win it. They will do enough to sneak in. Mayo/Kerry/Cork/Donegal won't care bar staying up. Last year Donegal just fulfilled the semi final fixture. They had no heed on it. Mayo were the same the year before. I think both qualified trying to avoid relegation. Poor Eugene McGee nearly had a banana saying Derry could teach Mayo a lot after they defeated Mayo in 2014. And he was right they taught us that you can invest to much into the league. Derry went out to Longford in the championship.
Surely it was Mayo who first taught that lesson to others  :P

:) :D ;D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Beffs

The Dubs to win another league title because their strength in depth is way ahead of the rest. Would be a bold prediction to say Down or Roscommon will avoid relegation.

You never know. Stranger things have happened. In both 2014 & 2015, one of the newly promoted counties were relegated again the following year and the other one stayed up. One of them might just manage it. I think Roscommon might do it, given how early they play Kerry & the McStay factor.

Syferus

Quote from: Beffs on January 29, 2016, 12:09:44 AM

You never know. Stranger things have happened. In both 2014 & 2015, one of the newly promoted counties were relegated again the following year and the other one stayed up. One of them might just manage it. I think Roscommon might do it, given how early they play Kerry & the McStay factor.

Everyone overlooks FOD because of McStay but he's easily the best Roscommon manager/coach in my lifetime. McStay was so adamant on him that he wasn't going to agree to do the job if FOD wasn't co-manager.

Captain Obvious

Dublin by four points
Donegal by two points
Monaghan by three points
Mayo by two points.

Syferus

Quote from: Captain Obvious on January 29, 2016, 01:43:40 PM
Dublin by four points
Donegal by two points
Monaghan by three points
Mayo by two points.

Be surprised if a patched up Mayo beat a strong looking Cork side.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Syferus on January 29, 2016, 01:44:53 PM
Dublin by four points
Donegal by two points
Monaghan by three points
Mayo by two points.

Cork are starting Sunday without 7 or 8 of their first choice players. It will not be a patched up Mayo team.

Captain Obvious

Dublin by four points
Donegal by two points
Monaghan by three points
Mayo by two points.

I haven't seen the Mayo team yet however I'd even fancy Armagh to beat that Cork selection on Sunday.

Syferus

Quote from: Captain Obvious on January 29, 2016, 02:11:08 PM
Dublin by four points
Donegal by two points
Monaghan by three points
Mayo by two points.

I haven't seen the Mayo team yet however I'd even fancy Armagh to beat that Cork selection on Sunday.

The list of Mayo absentees tells you which of the two are stronger going into Sunday.

PadraicHenryPearse

Quote from: Syferus on January 29, 2016, 12:58:47 AM

Everyone overlooks FOD because of McStay but he's easily the best Roscommon manager/coach in my lifetime. McStay was so adamant on him that he wasn't going to agree to do the job if FOD wasn't co-manager.

If argue Marty Mc's record would be better than FOD.   We have good individual players.  Lets hope we can play as a team and with some tactics. I think we are short on pace and midfield in general so staying up will be tough.

Syferus

Quote from: PadraicHenryPearse on January 29, 2016, 02:43:15 PM
Quote from: Syferus on January 29, 2016, 12:58:47 AM

If argue Marty Mc's record would be better than FOD.   We have good individual players.  Lets hope we can play as a team and with some tactics. I think we are short on pace and midfield in general so staying up will be tough.

Having to play Enda in the middle doesn't help with pace, he's a burner and has to sit too deep and break ball away from himself too much to go on his trademark runs most of the time. Would be happier with Killer/Shine in the middle and Enda on the wing where he'd give any back in the country a headache.