The OFFICIAL Liverpool FC thread - Jurgen walks - Stallion vindicated

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, February 05, 2009, 03:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TabClear

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 25, 2019, 12:46:14 PM
Its funny how a team that just about finished 4th last year is being considered as being on a par with City for the next season or two. This season is this season, next season players might not gel as well or leave for other clubs, or get injuries. City will always be there due to their sheer depth of quality in their squad. Liverpool, bar Ox have been very lucky to have the front three and main back four all available for most of the season, a bit like the old Liverpool teams of the 80's

Hats off to both teams that have made a fist of a league, rather than the farce that was last year, still the twist in the league I feel yet.

You get the odd chance to win the league nowadays if you are a less than wealthy team, you have to grasp it when you can

You are right about Liverpool's luck with injuries even though Gomez was a massive loss as was TAA for a few weeks. City have had to cope with KDB and Fernandinho being out at crucial times and that definitely hurt them in their Dec wobble.

However, i think the thing that needs to be remembered is that Liverpool last season were two different teams, pre VVD and after. I'm pretty sure Liverpool's record after he signed in Jan was far improved on the first half of the season, even allowing for a focus on the Champions League towards the end of the season. I do not have the figures but they probably are not too far off City's record  for the best part of 18 months now (and are still in the CL). Given this City team has been breaking all sorts of records that is pretty impressive. Ultimately that will mean very little if there are no trophies at the end of the season but the age profile of the team should give a bit of confidence that they can compete again next year.

J70

Gomez and Lovren have both missed almost half a season. Trent was out for a month too. Liverpool had to draft a 16 year old for the FA Cup game against Wolves and their central midfielder for a couple of EPL games. Yes, they've been fortunate in that VVD and the front three have not missed many games, but so have the other teams for the most part, Kane and KDB being the big exceptions (but both teams coped more than adequately). We all acknowledge that Liverpool need to bring in back-up up front. And yes, of course it will not be easy to repeat this season's performance, in that near-perfection seems to be required, but at the same time, there is no reason why they CAN'T build on it, especially with a good signing or two. They're extremely tight at the back and score plenty - why can that not continue?

laoislad

Youth Cup Final on BT Sport later on. Liverpool v City
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: J70 on April 25, 2019, 02:16:49 PM
Gomez and Lovren have both missed almost half a season. Trent was out for a month too. Liverpool had to draft a 16 year old for the FA Cup game against Wolves and their central midfielder for a couple of EPL games. Yes, they've been fortunate in that VVD and the front three have not missed many games, but so have the other teams for the most part, Kane and KDB being the big exceptions (but both teams coped more than adequately). We all acknowledge that Liverpool need to bring in back-up up front. And yes, of course it will not be easy to repeat this season's performance, in that near-perfection seems to be required, but at the same time, there is no reason why they CAN'T build on it, especially with a good signing or two. They're extremely tight at the back and score plenty - why can that not continue?

Gomez is a huge talent as for Lovren he'd struggle to get on Utds defence at the minute! Ox for me was the bigger loss. But the back four players are stand out performers along with the front three.. middle are could be improved, replacing Henderson with a younger gifted type player would really set yous up.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

trueblue1234

I just feel that Liverpool will fall short this year. But the club feels in a different position to the year under Rodgers. That year there was a greater feeling that they had missed the boat, that it was a one off season. Course it could be that this year is the same, but just feel the squad is much stronger and that they can continue to build. And I'd fancy Liverpool to be in the mix next year again, as long as they hold on to the main players and Klopp.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

laoislad

Quote from: laoislad on April 25, 2019, 03:24:39 PM
Liverpool win on penalties!
#ouryear
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

J70

Quote from: trueblue1234 on April 25, 2019, 08:40:19 PM
I just feel that Liverpool will fall short this year. But the club feels in a different position to the year under Rodgers. That year there was a greater feeling that they had missed the boat, that it was a one off season. Course it could be that this year is the same, but just feel the squad is much stronger and that they can continue to build. And I'd fancy Liverpool to be in the mix next year again, as long as they hold on to the main players and Klopp.

No comparison whatsoever between the two teams. Suarez was the main man. He took off. They got Rickie Lambert and Ballotelli to replace him, Gerrard was winding down, and that was that. No one is going to be angling for a move this time out. This team is just getting started. Doesn't mean they'll win, with City about, but they're going to be challenging.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: J70 on April 25, 2019, 10:43:17 PM

No comparison whatsoever between the two teams. Suarez was the main man. He took off. They got Rickie Lambert and Ballotelli to replace him, Gerrard was winding down, and that was that. No one is going to be angling for a move this time out. This team is just getting started. Doesn't mean they'll win, with City about, but they're going to be challenging.

If big money offers come in, all players have a price
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Hound

Quote from: laoislad on April 25, 2019, 10:28:56 PM
#ouryear
That was a bit of craic!

Some poor celebrations from the subs after the winning pen  ;D

Missed most of normal time. Any Irish lads on show?

Geoff Tipps

Quote from: Hound on April 25, 2019, 10:51:52 PM
Quote from: laoislad on April 25, 2019, 10:28:56 PM
#ouryear
That was a bit of craic!

Some poor celebrations from the subs after the winning pen  ;D

Missed most of normal time. Any Irish lads on show?

Don't think so. The City sub keeper used to play for Rovers - Bazunu.

J70

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 25, 2019, 10:51:01 PM

Yes, but Liverpool are now one of the best teams in Europe. There aren't too many steps up a player could take. That wasn't the case in 2014, and Suarez had already tried to engineer a move the previous summer.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: J70 on April 26, 2019, 12:22:51 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 25, 2019, 10:51:01 PM

Yes, but Liverpool are now one of the best teams in Europe. There aren't too many steps up a player could take. That wasn't the case in 2014, and Suarez had already tried to engineer a move the previous summer.

When they start to win silverware they'll be one of the best in Europe, they are behind Juve Barca Madrid City even PSG in terms of pulling power. But not winning but playing great football won't keep the best players, or managers.

Liverpool could buy another two decent midfielders and have a great team next year, City will/could buy 6 better players ! Not a level playing field

seafoid

Man City are good but the League is not their focus and over the last few years they have not been ruthless.  It could happen that Liverpool and Man city win the trophy they don't really want this year -  MC the League and Liverpool the CL.
If Man City had beaten Tottenham they might have eased up in the League. This is something that could benefit Liverpool in the future. Guardiola's job is to win the CL. Leagues are not the priority.
Liverpool want to knock Man Utd "off their f**king perch" (copyright A Ferguson) . This is different.

I think that Liverpool will probably win at least 2 Leagues before Man Utd get their shit together.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

johnnycool

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 25, 2019, 06:11:50 PM

Gomez is a huge talent as for Lovren he'd struggle to get on Utds defence at the minute! Ox for me was the bigger loss. But the back four players are stand out performers along with the front three.. middle are could be improved, replacing Henderson with a younger gifted type player would really set yous up.

Lovern was a blessing in disguise as Klopp wasn't tempted to pick him and ended up with a better pairing anyway.

Last year I'd have agreed with you on Henderson, running around a lot, getting in the way of the opposition and all that, but this year I think he's started to do more with the ball and is well worth a start more often than note.
He's not going anywhere and won't be replaced by Klopp.

Not bad for a lad with a poor gait. (c) A Ferguson

Jeepers Creepers

It will be interesting to see if Pep or Klopp are at their current clubs in two years