A United Ireland. Opening up the discussion.

Started by winghalfback, May 27, 2015, 03:16:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Armagh18

Quote from: Snapchap on December 13, 2021, 10:12:06 AM
Quote from: From the Bunker on December 12, 2021, 12:36:37 PM
Quote from: HiMucker on December 12, 2021, 11:23:40 AM
The greater Derry City area letterkenny and insishowen would benefit massively from unification

These areas have benefited from a border for years.

So the border regions benefited from partition? Now there's a f**kin' hot take if ever I heard one.
Ah in fairness I know plenty of boys that benefitted from a border ;)

smort

A reasoned contribution here from paddy, although there were a couple of pie-in-the-sky comments

https://twitter.com/merrionstreet/status/1469283720389668869?s=20

armaghniac

There were two straws in the wind during the week. The opinion poll in the Irish News showed more in favour on unity than the UK, albeit with a large chunk of don't knows.A second thing was an analysis of the election, which showed 60% of Alliance transfers going to nationalist candidates. So the don't knows might swing toward a UI in a poll if a good case was made.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

weareros

The current gov will have made the biggest mistake of their political lives if they do not strive to secure a date for a border poll. I know it's in the hands of the British Secretary of State but there's a few polls now that show unity has the momentum and that will only continue to increase. The gov should be letting London know that now is the time to fix a date. You'll have Unionists casting doubt on the pollsters as Ben Lowry has been doing for years with LucidTalk. But prepping now for a vote in or abouts 2028-30 should be the order of the day.

johnnycool

Quote from: weareros on July 29, 2022, 01:38:45 PM
The current gov will have made the biggest mistake of their political lives if they do not strive to secure a date for a border poll. I know it's in the hands of the British Secretary of State but there's a few polls now that show unity has the momentum and that will only continue to increase. The gov should be letting London know that now is the time to fix a date. You'll have Unionists casting doubt on the pollsters as Ben Lowry has been doing for years with LucidTalk. But prepping now for a vote in or abouts 2028-30 should be the order of the day.

Micheal Martin, the ball-less wonder?

Rossfan

Engaging with British "Governments" these days would take some ingenuity.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Hereiam

Seeing as Britain still has Ireland by the balls in terms of energy supply the southern government will be doing noting to rock the boat.

armaghniac

Quote from: Rossfan on July 29, 2022, 02:38:12 PM

Exactly, the irish government should prepare in the background, but talking to these loonies would be challenging. I don't think you can really ask for a border poll until the nationalist vote exceeds the unionist vote in an actual election.

seafoid

Quote from: armaghniac on July 29, 2022, 04:18:26 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on July 29, 2022, 02:38:12 PM

Exactly, the irish government should prepare in the background, but talking to these loonies would be challenging. I don't think you can really ask for a border poll until the nationalist vote exceeds the unionist vote in an actual election.
Scottish independence and the UI project are similar. Below 55%:and easy to manipulate into a níl.
You need 2/3 if you want the deal to fly. Either wait for everyone to lose their pensions or save the pensions. Timing is everything, as it was post 1910.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

armaghniac

The poll in the Sunday Times today has 42% support unity, 48% support UK.
However, for the question do you support unity in 15 years it is 52% yes and 44% no.
Among 18 to 24 Yr olds support for unity has a margin of 57% to 36%.
So just doing simple arithmetic, comparing this to the over 65s, then in 2031 it would be unity 50%, UK 45%.
Time for a site works to start, I think.

LeoMc

There is a large middle ground to be wooed. Let Arlene, Nigel, et al continue with their alienating that middle  ground. The smartest thing to do may be to do nothing to spook the herd.

yellowcard

Quote from: armaghniac on August 21, 2022, 07:04:08 PM
The poll in the Sunday Times today has 42% support unity, 48% support UK.
However, for the question do you support unity in 15 years it is 52% yes and 44% no.
Among 18 to 24 Yr olds support for unity has a margin of 57% to 36%.
So just doing simple arithmetic, comparing this to the over 65s, then in 2031 it would be unity 50%, UK 45%.
Time for a site works to start, I think.

The whole furore over the protocol is largely a manufactured row by Unionism.  Remember Arlene Foster and Jeffrey Donaldson were initially in favour of the protocol before loyalism brought them into line. Its to do with the greater Unionist concern which is the growing threat of a border poll and laying down a statement. The protocol by itself is very little real threat to Unionism but it's this not an inch mentality and their lundification of any pragmatic form of Unionism that will prove their undoing. Loyalism has gradually become the voice of Unionism and many middle ground small u unionists are just turned off by this. However the polls don't lie and demographics are destiny.

Its the same with the DUP pulling down Stormont. That was all about using the protocol (which has no relevance to a functioning Stormont) as cover for pulling down the institutions to avoid sharing power under a nationalist first minister. It's a disgrace that they were allowed to get away with that and that they are still being paid full salaries.     

screenexile

I see they've recruited Jimmy Nesbitt for one of these Ireland's Future Rallys... big coup but will be interesting to see if this goes ahead I imagine he will start to feel some pressure from the Orange side over it!

Jeepers Creepers

Depends what he has to say? Did he not endorse a nationalist In the last Assembly elections?