A United Ireland. Opening up the discussion.

Started by winghalfback, May 27, 2015, 03:16:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on December 11, 2021, 05:42:17 PM
I think a irish Economy pales in comparison to the German one, that's why they recovered from unification. Ireland would struggle for a generation, likely more. So we want rid of the brits, but then want them to fund us to make it work. So much for standing on our own 2feet.

Who said anything about getting the Brits to to fund us? I said they should cover the pensions of those civil servants etc that worked for them and paid their pension contributions to them. The Irish economy is a tribute to the merits of independence, if NI has fallen behind then it the faulr of the Brits and why should they not pat for it?
East Germany required far far more work than NI ever will.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

red hander

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on December 11, 2021, 05:42:17 PM
I think a irish Economy pales in comparison to the German one, that's why they recovered from unification. Ireland would struggle for a generation, likely more. So we want rid of the brits, but then want them to fund us to make it work. So much for standing on our own 2feet.

It's called reparations for 800 years of exploitation, rape and pillage, just like every other country the bastards went into.

Wildweasel74

Did India get any, or any other country they been in for that matter?

red hander

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on December 11, 2021, 07:22:36 PM
Did India get any, or any other country they been in for that matter?

It costs London over 12bn a year to prop up the failed statelet. Demand 120bn as final settlement, and after 10 years they are free. They'd bite your f**king hand off if they knew they'd got rid of those loyalist scum. It's not rocket science. Personally, I'd demand a minimum of 50 years, small beer for what they did to Ireland.

clonadmad

According to the UK's Office for National Statistics (ONS), Northern Ireland was one of nine UK regions to have a fiscal deficit in 2019.

The northwest, which includes Cumbria and the Greater Manchester area, had the biggest (£20.2 billion) followed by the West Midlands (£15 billion), Wales (£13.5 billion) and Scotland (£13.5 billion).

London, the southeast and the east of England had fiscal surpluses of £38.7 billion, £21.7 billion and £4 billion respectively and were therefore net contributors to the UK exchequer.

Thats the how and the where of who funds who in the UK

Now

Lets go at what this £9.4bn is composed of

£3.4 billion in pension payments paid by the British state to pensioners in Northern Ireland, which would continue continue to paid for as long as those pensioners are alive by the British government

North's share of the UK's national debt and the annual repayments arising from it. This was put at £2.4 billion in 2019.

£1.1bn which is the Norths payment to the UK defence budget, Compare this figure with the ROI annual spend of €1.1bn a year and it will give you an idea of where savings will be made when it comes to a United Ireland as I doubt if we will be building any Aircraft Carriers anytime soon,buying F35's at £100m a pop or invading Afghanistan.

Which leaves a net subvention of £2.5bn

But that's a lot of money I hear you say to find and it is

But the NI economy is currently operating at 30% pro rata on any metric to that of Republics

Supposing we got it to 60% then it would pay its way as per corporation and income tax returns

Main Street

Too much focus on needy Nordies, what's in it for the South, all pain and no gain?

armaghniac

I have no doubt that the sundered Ulster counties would benefit, Donegal in particular.

HiMucker

The greater Derry City area letterkenny and insishowen would benefit massively from unification

general_lee

Quote from: Main Street on December 12, 2021, 12:49:03 AM
Too much focus on needy Nordies, what's in it for the South, all pain and no gain?
The west Brits get to be re-united with their brothers in arms the unionists. What would you not like about that?

From the Bunker

Quote from: HiMucker on December 12, 2021, 11:23:40 AM
The greater Derry City area letterkenny and insishowen would benefit massively from unification

These areas have benefited from a border for years.

armaghniac

Derry is the place that can benefit most in a UI, it has not developed as Limerick and Galway have done.
Cross border shopping and the like is not development, it is just moving things around.

J70

Quote from: armaghniac on December 12, 2021, 01:46:27 AM
I have no doubt that the sundered Ulster counties would benefit, Donegal in particular.

Big time.

GAA joking and so on aside, Derry is the natural centre of the northwest.

We were cut off from that. No doubt part of why Donegal lagged so badly in economic terms for so long.

HiMucker

Quote from: From the Bunker on December 12, 2021, 12:36:37 PM

Sure they have  ::)

HokeyPokey

Belfast would be a great counterbalance to Dublin.

It's funny that I never hear about American enthusiasm ($$$) there would be for a UI. Since the economy would technically be weaker, we would also receive a lot more EU funding.

The main issue is the discontent among unionists. The economic case is pretty strong.

Snapchap

Quote from: From the Bunker on December 12, 2021, 12:36:37 PM

So the border regions benefited from partition? Now there's a f**kin' hot take if ever I heard one.