A United Ireland. Opening up the discussion.

Started by winghalfback, May 27, 2015, 03:16:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foxcommander

Quote from: Rossfan on January 02, 2017, 07:18:42 PM
3 incorrect assertions in that post Milltown..  ;)

Ross is a typical free stater - all mouth and a total hypocrite. Pay no attention to him.
Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

seafoid

Quote from: T Fearon on January 02, 2017, 06:41:07 PM
The Good Friday Agreement allows for both Governments to "consider" the outcome of a referendum on Irish Unity.That is a far cry from any commitment to enacting the will of the people,or a timetable etc,and to date SF cannot even persuade the Brits to hold a referendum,even when the chances of a vote for unity are slim!

There is no will or push for unity, North or South,Seafoid does not explain how it is affordable.During the GFA talks,a United Ireland wasn't even on the agenda.One of the strongest cases the free state Govt made for a Remain vote in the U.K. Referendum,was that the EU gave both the UK and the Free state an opportunity to consult on and manage any problems concerning the North on the fringes of EU meetings.That suggests that Dublin sees the UK rule in the North to be indefinite.

The govt in Dublin cannot be called an Irish Government when it only governs 26 counties.
the GFA assumes the UK is a member of the EU
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Applesisapples

Quote from: Rossfan on January 02, 2017, 06:07:55 PM
So in 20 years time 700,000 Unionist  will be allowed to ignore the wishes of 1,000,000 Nationalists.
Tony's posts also highlights his ignorance of the 26 Counties.
The "Free State" was abolished in 1937 so there are no "Free Staters" any more.
Also there is no such thing as a "southern government". The Government  here is called the Irish Government. 
God but  some of the 6Cos lot are hard work
Yes as are some from the 26. Ignore Tony he deliberately uses the free state term to get a rise.

seafoid

If there was a united Ireland would a lot of Ulster Protestants  relocate to England or Scotland ? 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miSccVia0K4

Applesisapples

Quote from: seafoid on January 03, 2017, 10:11:25 AM
If there was a united Ireland would a lot of Ulster Protestants  relocate to England or Scotland ? 

Brexit means brexit so no, they'd be put in a refugee camp and then shipped back.

Rossfan

Ignore Tony .
[/quote]

That's would probably hurt him more than pointing out his lack of knowledge  ;D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

vallankumous

Quote from: seafoid on January 03, 2017, 10:11:25 AM

I think people prefer their own home.

Hectic

The Republic of Ireland is not a country but rather an independent sovereign state in the island of Ireland.

Northern Ireland will remain part of the UK until such times as the majority of the people in Northern Ireland and The Republic of Ireland want the status of Northern Ireland to change.  Should this happen then the 'British' and 'Irish' governments are under a binding obligation to change the status of Northern Ireland and bring about a united Ireland.

We saw with Brexit how these things can play out - essentially campaigners often play to the lowest common denominator to try and push through their goals.  We also see every time there is an election in the North that the dwindling numbers who vote often head back to old entrenched positions - those who are sick of the sight of the politicians that we have tend to refrain.

In a unity referendum, if it ever came about, there would be plenty of playing to the fears of those in the south about having a rampant mob of loyalists kicking off in the event of things not going their way and no doubt a fair few shots across the bow en route.  Likewise northern Unionists would be fed a diet of the untold hells that they would experience being part of a 32 county Ireland. 

For me the real debate would have to be an economic one - personally I believe that one island with one economy would be the best bet in the long run but at the same time I am not convinced this debate will happen in my lifetime especially if you consider we are nearly as long out of the 'troubles' as we were in them and while certain aspects of society have improved we are still stuck on the same cycle at Stormont with the failings continuing to roll out.

seafoid

A UI would have to be with consent. Economics could change Unionist attitudes. The UK is run for the benefit of the richest 1% and Brexit will hurt NI Protestants.

T Fearon

Hectic,read the GFA.The vote in favour of unity commits both Governments to do nothing only consider the options.Neither is any time frame mentioned.

Now if the Brits (supported as always be the free state government) won't allow a referendum now,when the result is guaranteed to preserve the status quo,you can bet they will never allow one if the result is in any sort of doubt.

That is the reason why I consider it to be a complete waste of time aspiring for Irish Unity,and in my view the biggest impediment is the free state government.

Rossfan

First impediment is the 6 Cos voters.
If the soon to be Catholic majority voted in big enough numbers for the 2 Nationalists parties then it wouldn't be long to when it would "appear to the Secretary of State" that there might be a majority in favour of UI.
He has to then have the referendum/plebiscite/poll.
The Government of the State whose name is " Éire, or in the English language Ireland" have no role in organising a vote in the 6 Cos.

Can we take it Tony will be voting to keep the 6 Cos in the "UK" as he seems to have a major disdain for his fellow countrymen in Connacht, Leinster, Munster , Cavan , Donegal and Monaghan😈
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Hectic

The signing of the treaty did away with Ireland as a united entity and in it place created two states. I consider myself to be an Irish man living on the divided island of Ireland alongside fellow Irish men and women living on the divided island of Ireland be that 'North' or 'South'. And of course our unionist cousin's who also inhabit both parts of Ireland though in greater numbers in the 'North'.

T Fearon

The fact remains that a referendum under the GFA terms,commits both Govts to do absolutely nothing in terms of implementing the outcome of a vote for unity.Look at the prevarication over the Brexit vote,by the UK government

I cannot at any stage remember,during talks which have been going on for decades,before and after the GFA,where the freestate govt did anything other than support the British view,that partition must be maintained.

Therefore what is the point of wasting your life aspiring to Irish Unity?

seafoid

Neither the Treaty nor the GFA signed away the 6 counties for eternity. What makes now interesting is Brexit and what it will mean for British incomes. The eurosceptics are clueless. Britain has gone from running a global empire to becoming a mediocrity with a failing economy.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: T Fearon on January 03, 2017, 09:14:04 PM
The fact remains that a referendum under the GFA terms,commits both Govts to do absolutely nothing in terms of implementing the outcome of a vote for unity.Look at the prevarication over the Brexit vote,by the UK government

I cannot at any stage remember,during talks which have been going on for decades,before and after the GFA,where the freestate govt did anything other than support the British view,that partition must be maintained.

Therefore what is the point of wasting your life aspiring to Irish Unity?

Why would you want to somehow trick or force the majority in the north into a united Ireland against their wishes? Do you not think it'd be better to wait until there's a majority in the north in favour of it so that reunification goes more smoothly?